Thread: Project Phoenix: Power and Wiring

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'

Project Phoenix: Power and Wiring

Hello all! Awhile back I posted about my gf's 535i that caught fire due to an electrical fire (headlights). After successfully rolling the windows back up with an external battery (thanks again) the next step is to get some power back to the dash.

I've been waiting for another m30b35 to arrive at the junkyard and recently a pair of 735, e32's have shown up. I'm hoping to cut out part of the wiring harness as shown in the picture and replace it with one from the salvaged 7er.

I'm not sure how well this will go, so if anyone has any protips or moral support they would be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Headlights did this? That's very unusual. I have to wonder about differences in wiring though since I'm sure the E32 is probably a little different to the E34 since it had slightly different features.

Still, for something like this there's no harm in trying. Those wires need to come out anyway so if this doesn't work, you can just wait for an E34 to show up and get the wires then.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I hope that's not your first bite of electrical work, because it's a lot to chew. You have wiring diagrams, a good soldering setup, and considerable patience for not only doing the actual splice work, but troubleshooting any gremlins that remain?

I'll stay tuned and offer moral support. When I did wiring jobs this scale, I made a spreadsheet, one per bundle (so two, in your case):
    Actual wire in patient Wire in diagrams, if different Actual wire in donor Wire in diagrams, if different Where it goes Notes
    1 1.5 RD 1.5 RD Flux capacitor power
    2 1.5 BR/BK 1.5 BR/BU Flux capacitor ground
    3 0.35 GN/GR 0.35 GN 0.35 GN/GR Flush control module doomsday signal
    4 0.75 BK/WT 0.75 BK/WT Gremlin generator Disable this feature anyway.
    5 1.0 YL/PU/WT Secret hyperjet switch Donor had hyperjets, patient doesn't; disable.

Another suggestion is consider this car's future and evaluate the importance of retaining features you don't use or have. I deleted my data link wires when they melted down. Less wiring = fewer fire hazards and other problems.
    Last edited by moroza; 06-18-2019 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    e34 535i and 98 528i
    I have the complete engine compartment harness for a 535i. Parting a 91 535i.

Pm me if interested.

Andy

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'
    I've made some decent progress on getting the harness prepared. Was curious though how I can determine which wire is which in these diagrams.

I can figure out the wiring on the ABS side but I'm not sure what is happening on the fuse block side. My guess is a visual inspection will be the only way to determine what is what. But I'm hoping someone will have another idea.

Thanks!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Recommend you use the factory wiring diagrams, for they list wire gauge in addition to color, helping disambiguation. They also list splice locations. Both features would help figure out which red wire goes where. In this case, they're electrically equivalent, only a gauge difference would matter.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Isn't red 'always hot' straight off the battery/"distribution box"?

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Recommend you use the factory wiring diagrams, for they list wire gauge in addition to color, helping disambiguation. They also list splice locations. Both features would help figure out which red wire goes where. In this case, they're electrically equivalent, only a gauge difference would matter.
    Thanks moroza! I also have the electrical troubleshooting manual so I will reference the wire gauges. I'm just using this "quick sheet" that I found on prodemand to begin the sorting process.

Oh and thanks for the link! I'd been struggling to remember where I downloaded the manual originally. Kept thinking it was "armchair qb" oh well

Last edited by chazsandiego; 10-02-2019 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    Isn't red 'always hot' straight off the battery/"distribution box"?
    That's what I was thinking too, but since this is for wiring the ABS I'd rather not take any chances.

Im sure there will be a few of those down the line with less essential accessories

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'
    Update:

I told my automotive electrical teacher about my plan to splice an e32 wiring harness onto an e34 and he thought it was one of the worst ideas imaginable. He said it was something a "meatball" would do.

Anyways as luck would have it a comparable e34 535i arrived at the junkyard around this time and I was able to salvage a complete engine harness without cutting anything.

I don't know why I thought that the harness would be "hard wired" to the vehicle and necessitate being cut out. It doesn't, and everything just unclips under the drivers side kick panel. I had no idea!

Hoping to have time this weekend to get all the new wiring in and see some signs of life on the dash!