Thread: E36 no crank/ no start after manual swap

My Cars
    1995 325i Vert

E36 no crank/ no start after manual swap

Okay so I just finished a manual swap on my car. 1995 325i prod. date 11/94. Started it up, drove it around a little bit then came back and turned the car off. Now I get no clicks from the starter, and nothing tries to start.

-the accessories in the cabin all turn on and work
    -I tried jumping the car, nothing changed
    -I double checked my bypass on the neutral safety switch and the wiring is good still
    -I checked fuse 31 and it is fine, as are all the other fuses also.
    -Everything is hooked up and the car just ran and drove perfectly

I should also note there is no exhaust on the car right now, I have to fix the manifold studs before I put it back on, but I doubt it has anything to do with it not cranking.

Please help!! This is beyond frustrating. Thanks I知 advance.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Could be your ignition switch or the starter. Not sure on the testing procedure for the ignition switch but one thing to try is to give the starter a couple persuasive whacks, may free up the brushes. It would really suck if it were your starter, with the trans out it would have been super easy to replace, but now its like hell on earth.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    I would triple check the battery connections (and charge), and the ground connections, particularly the one on the passenger engine mount. Next triple check fuse 31 and make sure the neutral safety bypass is 100% correct (grounded IIRC?). Ive done this swap twice but it's been a while. If all that checks out, make sure you're getting power to the starter wire when cranking, then sounds like a starter change..
    Let us know what it is.

My Cars
    1995 325i Vert
    Thanks for the tips. As for tapping on the starter, how would I do that since it's covered by the intake manifold? I double checked battery connections and cleaned the posts up a bit, but I'll take the battery over to autozone tomorrow to have it checked out and charged if needed, but I'm really feeling like a wire came loose or something of the sort since I just drove it right before this happened.

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    Sounds to me like you have an EWS ( immobilizer ) issue. If you have another key I would try that first, then maybe swap out the ring antenna . If you have the 1995 EWS module it can be bypassed ( I think it's the only year that can be) .
    At any point did you have the battery connected to the car while it was hooked up to a battery charger ?

My Cars
    E36
    intriguing. Very interested as I'll be doing a swap in an early '95 car soon. I'd guess EWS also from my reading but it does sound easy to bypass in the 95's.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    I had to bypass mine while stranded in the post office parking lot.

My Cars
    1995 325i Vert
    Any tips or write ups on the ews bypass? Doing a bunch of google searches but I知 not finding anything solid. I found a write up that talks about the immobilizer aspect and I知 having all of those symptoms so I知 leaning towards that.

My Cars
    1995 325i Vert
    Update: Fuse 26 was blown and I just have overlooked it. Changed it and started right up. Thanks for all the help guys!

My Cars
    E36
    nice!!
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's