My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.

Replacing power stearing reservoir

Good day People of BimmerForums!

Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

VEHICLE:
    2001 X5
    M54
    E53

THE PROBLEM:
    The power-steering hoses, reservoir, and pump all have A LOT of buildup and gunk. Given the car is so old and the engine never cleaned before I got it, the buildup is to be expect however, I do see that some of it is "wet" as if newer seepage. I cleaned all the hoses, the pump, and I am replacing the reservoir.

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I replace the hoses connected to the reservoir at the same time?
    2. For what should I really be aware when I replace the reservoir?
    3. Where should I keep an eye out for seepage after this cleaning and reservoir replacement? What would be telltale signs to look for?
    4. Any other tips for this project would be immensely helpful!

Thank you again for all of your help!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The gunk around the container is from the vent hole in side of the cap so if that's the only thing take is wrong just keep it wiped off now and then. If you replace the hoses use one time use clamps like the factory clamps, there better then the screw type

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The gunk around the container is from the vent hole in side of the cap so if that's the only thing take is wrong just keep it wiped off now and then. If you replace the hoses use one time use clamps like the factory clamps, there better then the screw type
    Hello jclausen,

thank you for the quick reply, it really helps as I am pressed for time. Also, thank you for the tip on the clamps, I wouldn't have caught that. To the other point, no, it's not just round the reservoir there was gunk on all the houses down to just past the pump.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    The reservoir exchange is pretty straight forward. I had the same problem with our 06 X5 when I bought it, although I wasnt sure if I was going to keep it or part it at the time, so I just took it all apart and cleaned it, then cut off a few mm of hose where it attaches to the reservoir and reconnected. All good since then. But had i known we would keep it, I would hace replced the hoses.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    The reservoir exchange is pretty straight forward. I had the same problem with our 06 X5 when I bought it, although I wasnt sure if I was going to keep it or part it at the time, so I just took it all apart and cleaned it, then cut off a few mm of hose where it attaches to the reservoir and reconnected. All good since then. But had i known we would keep it, I would hace replced the hoses.
    Hello AutoPartsGuy,

thanks for for taking the time to help me out! That is very helpful. Okay, so, maybe it would be best to replace them. That's good to know.

The best to you!

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    No problem. Both hoses that go to the reservior are $41 total ($25 & $16), and the reservior is only $12. hard to go wrong there. If it we're me, I'd get the other hose as well ($92) along with new crush washers, but it's probably not necessary. Don't forget fluid, i use D4. Check out FCP Euro, lifetime warranty on all their parts and great prices and service.

I'm actually in a similar situation on my e36 M3, except i need a new pump also. I plan to replace everything.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    No problem. Both hoses that go to the reservior are $41 total ($25 & $16), and the reservior is only $12. hard to go wrong there. If it we're me, I'd get the other hose as well ($92) along with new crush washers, but it's probably not necessary. Don't forget fluid, i use D4. Check out FCP Euro, lifetime warranty on all their parts and great prices and service.

I'm actually in a similar situation on my e36 M3, except i need a new pump also. I plan to replace everything.
    Hey APG,

very true, it's sort of a no brainier just to do the whole thing especially at that cost. Also, as it could save having to do the whole rack wish is outlandishly expensive. What brand of fluid do you usually purchase? And, oh yes, FCP has become a close friend thank you for the suggestion.

Again, thank you for all the help!

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    I use Redline D4.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    I use Redline D4.
    Oh, thank you for the quick response. Sounds good, I will see if I can't find that close by.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    FCP sells it also. Any of the proper ATF will work (Dex III?)
    I can double check in the Bentley manual if needed. Some cars use ATF and some use CHF. I have too many cars and cant remember at the moment

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    FCP sells it also. Any of the proper ATF will work (Dex III?)
    I can double check in the Bentley manual if needed. Some cars use ATF and some use CHF. I have too many cars and cant remember at the moment
    Thank you again for the info I will make sure, most likely I will call the dealership or one of the mechanic shops in town to quadruple check.

HAHA! Too many cars. Some people have all the problems

Thank you again for all the help, it really means a lot being able to come here and receive reliable guidance.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Dexron III it is! (Wife's X3 takes CHF)

0619191928.jpg

0619191929.jpg

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Dexron III it is! (Wife's X3 takes CHF)
    Hey, that was super generous of you! Thank you for taking the time to do that for me.