Thread: Looking at a 1995 325i Convertible this week, what particularly should I be alert to?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC

Looking at a 1995 325i Convertible this week, what particularly should I be alert to?

Hi,

I am going to look at a 1995 325i convertible 5 speed this week. It's purported to have no rust, 105k miles, newish tires, and everything works except the heater control valve and the A/C.

I've never owned a BMW before. I am a fairly competent shade tree mechanic... I've done a clutch or 2 and a number of different timing belts on a variety of cars, suspension rebuilds, etc. I like to tinker and that's really why I'm thinking about this car -- a cool ride I can futz with.

They sem like well designed and well made devices, but every car has its Achilles heel. What should I look for that would make the deal a no-go, besides the usual stuff you check on a used old car?

thanks

My Cars
    1997 328i
    If you can, do a compression test on it, these cars can warp/crack the head if they've overheated. There are four jack points along the side rails, look inside for rust, you would need a USB camera. Also normally there are jack pads on these jack points, most don't have them but if they do then there is a chance for more rust. Bring the car to a local shop and have them put it on a lift (claim there was some noise) just so you can look, bring a good flashlight.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Chassis rust seeing as you're in the rust belt like I am. Look in the jackpoints with a bright flashlight and the jack pads underneath.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323iC
    That jack pad tip is a great one. I have an endoscopic camera for plumbing and whatnot, maybe I can poke that in the jackpoint hole.

Short of a compression test, are there any other clues that the thing may have overheated? Milkshake in the oil, & oil in the coolat are the classic indicatrs, but a fluid change can mask those...

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get a prepurchase inspection

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The way these cars overheat doesn't typically lead to oil/antifreeze mixing, but take a look at the oil/dipstick anyway. To know if the cooling system has been worked on take a look at the expansion tank, if it's bright white then its new, dark green then its old. If it's new the system has been worked on, also check if the radiator is new (not definitive) but if the end caps of the rad are plastic then its stock, aluminum end caps it's after market. But ask if the cooling system has been worked on or upgraded. Ask if it has ever overheated. Not all owners are honest so take whatever they say with a grain of salt, they might not be a liar but they may not know the right answer.

- - - Updated - - -

If I were to buy another bmw I would bring a laptop with INPA on it (needs a cable) and scan for codes.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?2184573
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".