Thread: converting us to euro spec headlightts

My Cars
    2008 e92 m3

converting us to euro spec headlightts

so i just purchased a set of genuine hella euro spec headlights and when i started to do the i stall i noticed the connectors dont match up. i did some research and read that i would need to buy some wires, connectors, and do a lil splicing. there is a 3rd connector (i think its the daytime running lights) on the euro spec headlight but my car doesnt seem to even have wires to connect it. any info would be appreciated. im trying to get my car to pass inspection

My Cars
    1992 525it
    You will need to do a junkyard run to get the connectors, and splice them. There are several different connectors that all look alike, so take your headlights with you to make certain the ones you get will actually fit. High and low beams, fog and city lights all use different connectors that look identical. Don't hold me to it, but iirc I used some from e38 or e39 foglights, or headlight washer connectors. I was also doing a projector foglight install at the same time, so I don't remember what I got from which car. Some looked exactly right, but wouldn't fit, so do take yours along with you. The city lights usually get hooked up to the parking light circuit.
    Last edited by xcastaway; 06-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    3rd connector is not daytime running light, that is parking light. To park the car outside of the city zone, you have to switch on the parking light by turning the turn signal switch, so 1 front light and 1 rear light is then iluminated.
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Euro_light.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    I am also working on the headlights of my E32 these days. I considered an Euro swap like you and during my research I found these connector adapters. Then you don't have to splice old brittle connectors and will keep the factory wiring intact.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/he...-adapters.html

You can contact the company to ask which adapters you will need.
    I think you will need 9006 HB4 (low beam) to H1 and 9005 HB3 (high beam) to H1.
    Better to double check for confirmation.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Euro “Smileys” are H1 as Cactuar says, and I would advise you look into the adapters he provided a link for, or a similar product. The US e34 uses H1 connectors in the fog lights already IIRC, so you could always cut a pair out of a junkyard car but for reversibility’s sake I’d prefer to go the adapter route. I’m not sure of the connector for the Euro hi beams as when I did this I left my US ones in place and just installed the new outer units.
    If memory serves me right there are 3 wires to the back of the US corners:
    -one for full time illumination with the switch
    -one for when the turn signal is engaged (similar to a dual filament tail+brake bulb) -and a ground.
    To wire the city lights up to the parking switch you cop the “full time” lead from the corner and move it over and (maybe?) splice the ground.

It should be noted that that is not legal to drive at night in the states without a full time orange light up front. Mod at your own risk just as we all did/do with euro bumper trim...

My Cars
    2008 e92 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    3rd connector is not daytime running light, that is parking light. To park the car outside of the city zone, you have to switch on the parking light by turning the turn signal switch, so 1 front light and 1 rear light is then iluminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post
    I am also working on the headlights of my E32 these days. I considered an Euro swap like you and during my research I found these connector adapters. Then you don't have to splice old brittle connectors and will keep the factory wiring intact.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/he...-adapters.html

You can contact the company to ask which adapters you will need.
    I think you will need 9006 HB4 (low beam) to H1 and 9005 HB3 (high beam) to H1.
    Better to double check for confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsixe34 View Post
    Euro “Smileys” are H1 as Cactuar says, and I would advise you look into the adapters he provided a link for, or a similar product. The US e34 uses H1 connectors in the fog lights already IIRC, so you could always cut a pair out of a junkyard car but for reversibility’s sake I’d prefer to go the adapter route. I’m not sure of the connector for the Euro hi beams as when I did this I left my US ones in place and just installed the new outer units.
    If memory serves me right there are 3 wires to the back of the US corners:
    -one for full time illumination with the switch
    -one for when the turn signal is engaged (similar to a dual filament tail+brake bulb) -and a ground.
    To wire the city lights up to the parking switch you cop the “full time” lead from the corner and move it over and (maybe?) splice the ground.

It should be noted that that is not legal to drive at night in the states without a full time orange light up front. Mod at your own risk just as we all did/do with euro bumper trim...

up top is the link to what i was reading and researching before i posted this thread. it seems i can get the wires and connectors from bmw to convert my Hi/Low beams. do i need to hook up the city lights or can i just leave that alone until later if i decide to do it. i just want to pass inspection. thx guys i really do appreciate the help and support.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    No, you don’t need them to be wired up. If you want to pass ASAP install H1 connectors in your car and just plug in.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    Yup what he said. Btw if you have brand new headlights IMO it's worth it to put a bit of silicon grease on the adjuster screws to prevent them from seizing up in a few years time.

My Cars
    2008 e92 m3
    man thx for the advice and tips. cant thank you enough.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport

Correct. And if you do this you won’t be going back to sealed beams because you can’t find them new anymore anyway. But you can still get new glass for smileys. So just solder and heatshrink the new connectors on.

This is incorrect. White City lights as parking lights are completely legal . You can’t have a white light flashing as a TURN signal. That has to be amber. You can see this on many many many modern cars.
    I run still run city lights (now on my e46) as position indicators, while The amber corners are only turn indicators.

iirc the illuminated reflectors in the US trim (there to comply with US side reflection specs and not legally required to be illuminated) have the connectors compatible to get the city lights working, though the correct ones are slightly different for ease of installation.
    Last edited by Onizukachan; 06-21-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Interesting. Thanks for correcting. I never cared much about the law in my e34 days but that's good to know. Come to think of it I guess full time yellow lights have been mostly done away with on new cars.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    If you do not connect the city lights, the CCM will give a warning, at least I get that warning with original EURO headlights and EURO CCM and EURO LKM-L
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!