Thread: SUCCESS! Got my tonneau cover open

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert

SUCCESS! Got my tonneau cover open

After a lot of reading and research here, I decided to inspect the release lever's connection because it didn't seem to have any resistance when I pulled the lever. Sure enough. I found the cable wasn't connected to the lever. Closer inspection revealed that the cable had frayed at the end causing it to fall out of the lever. So I grabbed the remaining cable with a pair of pliers, crossed my fingers and pulled. Voila! The cover latch released and I was able to lift the tonneau cover up and put the top in the boot.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to replace the cable and I'll be good to go!

My Cars
    E36 325is
    Make a build/fix thread so you can condense this all into one shitstorm. Look at my shitstorm thread lol... But congratulations on getting the thing that was broken to work. Always feels good when you figure things out.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
    After a lot of reading and research here, I decided to inspect the release lever's connection because it didn't seem to have any resistance when I pulled the lever. Sure enough. I found the cable wasn't connected to the lever. Closer inspection revealed that the cable had frayed at the end causing it to fall out of the lever. So I grabbed the remaining cable with a pair of pliers, crossed my fingers and pulled. Voila! The cover latch released and I was able to lift the tonneau cover up and put the top in the boot.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to replace the cable and I'll be good to go!
    I have all the convertible parts if you need anything.
    Greg
    410-967-617 zero

My Cars
    E36 318iC 6mt vert
    Thanks guys. I feel like I dodged a big bullet. Now I'm excited to get this resto in full gear!