Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new tires/wheels for a non M?

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL

new tires/wheels for a non M?

hello bimmerforums.

i'm throwing myself at your mercy - i've got to replace the stock sized tires, and after looking at options at tirerack, i'm wondering if i should just replace wheels and tires all around. from what i can gather, i've got 16x7 et 38s all around. i was running firestone firehawks, but thought the sidewall were mushy (felt soft cornering). i'd run eagle GTs prior to that, and they felt pretty solid.

if i were to replace all four with a new set wheels & tires, what would you all recommend? i'm not unhappy with the 16s, but think 17s would look better. i like the ASA AR1s on these, and the M roadstars... anyone have four front roadstars to sell me?

taking any and all suggestions - thanks a lot for advice!
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    I also like the ASA wheels and think for the money, they are a good looking and performing wheel.
    I have the ASA 17x8 on my non M with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/45/RZ 17’s all around.
    The Z handles like it’s on rails, and with the terrible roads here in PA, they are holding up very well.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    I went with 18" Konig Freeforms and Falken 510s on my non-m last month. They aren't Michelin PSS, but they are a hair over half the price.

Going from 225/50R16 to a wider, lower profile tire in a stickier compound makes the car feel completely different.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I had a 97 2.8 Z3. Bought BMW Style 224 18" from a later Z4. The 45s that came on them were a little tall, would have gone to 40s had I not sold it for my M. I think they look wonderful. Pics: IMG_0112.jpgIMG_0109.JPG

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonZiggy View Post
    I also like the ASA wheels and think for the money, they are a good looking and performing wheel.
    I have the ASA 17x8 on my non M with Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/45/RZ 17’s all around.
    The Z handles like it’s on rails, and with the terrible roads here in PA, they are holding up very well.
    alright then - do I have to worry about offset? tirerack says the ASA AR1s are 40 mm while stocks are 38. it's too early to put the math together... assuming you have the same wheel they're selling, do they poke out / rub?

i've read good reviews for the michelin pilot sports too. if fitment looks good, i'll probably just bundle all of that and have tirerack deliver to me.

thanks!
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhitt View Post
    alright then - do I have to worry about offset? tirerack says the ASA AR1s are 40 mm while stocks are 38. it's too early to put the math together... assuming you have the same wheel they're selling, do they poke out / rub?

i've read good reviews for the michelin pilot sports too. if fitment looks good, i'll probably just bundle all of that and have tirerack deliver to me.

thanks!
    Phil,
    I forgot to mention that the ASA’s I have on mine are the ASA GT10’s. I don’t think they have them anymore. They are very similar I think to the AR1s you are looking at I believe. The offset is 45 on mine. No rubbing. Here is a pic on my car.
    D11CB409-EA4E-4BD8-83B9-2AA3309BD08F.jpg
    I don’t know why this pic won’t post right side up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

for nyc area......I am too...up in westchester....

I say do the typical 17 set up...car will feel and look great and the sidewalls wont beat you up or let wheels bend every other day.

225/45 and 245/40..or even 255/40

oh...I would not go greater than a 42 off...they will tuck too much
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 06-17-2019 at 04:06 PM.

oh a grrrreat value for sports type tire allseasons:

Im sometimes in super light snow

bfg supercomp AS2

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    OK - it's all over. ASA AR1 17s all around, and 245/45 firehawk indy 500s. this will be for summer only, and if ever needed I can put all seasons on the OE tires.

looking forward to getting this thing on the road again...
    Cheers,
    Phil

OK - it's all over. ASA AR1 17s all around, and 245/45 firehawk indy 500s. this will be for summer only, and if ever needed I can put all seasons on the OE tires.

looking forward to getting this thing on the road again...
    245/45?.........I say no....no way

Id like to see pics of such a set up.. but 245/45 will look like puffy donuts on all 4....that is not a proper set up.
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 06-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    245/45?.........I say no....no way

Id like to see pics of such a set up.. but 245/45 will look like puffy donuts on all 4....that is not a proper set up.
    check BostonZiggy's post. it's upside down, but it's a z3. they look kinda... chunky... so what?
    Cheers,
    Phil

phil....

its your call

dont ask about what it could feel like.....or its way too tall.......or tonsa sidewall squirm

if u like ,,,,then do it!

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    phil....
    its your call

dont ask about what it could feel like.....or its way too tall.......or tonsa sidewall squirm

if u like ,,,,then do it!
    well, I'll know tonight or tomorrow if mistakes were made. the firehawks were cheap.

what would you recommend specifically? I want a square setup all around and am looking for 1/2 to 1 in taller. given a target diameter, what width tread gives me proper sidewall?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    https://www.willtheyfit.com/

To actually determine whether a 40 or 45 sidewall is best check this site. Put in your stock tires and try both options as the new tire and see which one causes less of a change to the speedometer. You don't wanna throw it off too much just because you were going for a certain style

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    https://www.willtheyfit.com/

To actually determine whether a 40 or 45 sidewall is best check this site. Put in your stock tires and try both options as the new tire and see which one causes less of a change to the speedometer. You don't wanna throw it off too much just because you were going for a certain style
    i'm aiming to increase sidewall to reduce the harshness of the ride / impact of all the potholes and cracks. i know the speedo will be off, but i'm only getting ~1/2" increase in height, which as far as i'm concerned will be negligible to the speedo - i'll be aware it's not accurate, but i don't really speed...

i'm more interested in thoughts from someone familiar with tracking these vehicles and more ideal ratio for stiff cornering. it's an optimization problem for me between comfort and handling.

to be honest, i don't care about the look as much.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    i'm aiming to increase sidewall to reduce the harshness of the ride / impact of all the potholes and cracks. i know the speedo will be off, but i'm only getting ~1/2" increase in height, which as far as i'm concerned will be negligible to the speedo - i'll be aware it's not accurate, but i don't really speed...

i'm more interested in thoughts from someone familiar with tracking these vehicles and more ideal ratio for stiff cornering. it's an optimization problem for me between comfort and handling.

to be honest, i don't care about the look as much.
    If you want to see exactly how off your speedo will be, that site will show you so at least you can do the mental calc in your head. A little more sidewall probably won’t change the ride dramatically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Sorry guys...typo on my end. My Michelin’s are 225/45/ZR 17’s on all 4 corners. As jrkoup stated, a typical set-up for the 17 rims.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Sorry guys...typo on my end. My Michelin’s are 225/45/ZR 17’s on all 4 corners. As jrkoup stated, a typical set-up for the 17 rims.
    Welp... Alright then. Mistakes were made. I'm an idiot with a z3 featuring a truck stance.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Phil,
    I was not intentionally trying to give any bad info here. When I saw your 1st post I was just saying to myself, “hey he is looking for a set-up similar to what I have”. I never realized until I re-read the post when jrkoup was saying that “this is not a proper set-up” that I noticed I put 245/45 and meant 225/45. I do apologize and hopefully you can get it sorted out with Tire Rack without to much issue.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    great news guys - they fit! i'll admit they're a little on the thicc side of things, but my other vehicle is a jeep and by comparison this thing is definitely still a sports car.

i have to admit that i don't really dislike it. jrkoupe had me worried about "puffy donut syndrome" but it's really not that bad. i've only driven it in and out of the garage to line them back up after letting it off the stands, but i see no obvious problems with end to end steering, or clearance. the fronts are almost flush - maybe poking out less a few mm. the rears still tuck a little.

so after getting it roadworthy and registered, i'll burn through this tread as quickly as i can and get something more... modest. but in the meantime it'll work.

- - - Updated - - -

Phil,
    I was not intentionally trying to give any bad info here. When I saw your 1st post I was just saying to myself, “hey he is looking for a set-up similar to what I have”. I never realized until I re-read the post when jrkoup was saying that “this is not a proper set-up” that I noticed I put 245/45 and meant 225/45. I do apologize and hopefully you can get it sorted out with Tire Rack without to much issue.
    no worries man. i literally put less than 20 minutes into the decision, and wanted to get the order out while drinking my morning coffee at my desk. if i'd spent 15 minutes more and googled this, i would have gotten something smaller.

the good news is they seem to fit. relatively, these are cheap, soft tires. they won't last too long.
    Cheers,
    Phil

pics of the offroad z !!!!!!!!!!

lol...

245/45.....rock crawler.
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 06-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.

your comment here confused me

"i'm more interested in thoughts from someone familiar with tracking these vehicles and more ideal ratio for stiff cornering. it's an optimization problem for me between comfort and handling"

your thoughts made me think your first concern was ride quality due to bad streets?.....

your set up is not a great set up for tracking.....altho a square like yours set up can reduce understeer, ..tire is too tall and will have less steeering response and more tire/sidewall squirm

anyhew, I may be confused and not uderstanding your goals here
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 06-19-2019 at 11:59 AM.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    your comment here confused me

"i'm more interested in thoughts from someone familiar with tracking these vehicles and more ideal ratio for stiff cornering. it's an optimization problem for me between comfort and handling"

your thoughts made me think your first concern was ride quality due to bad streets?.....

your set up is not a great set up for tracking.....altho a square like yours set up can reduce understeer, ..tire is too tall and will have less steeering response and more tire/sidewall squirm

anyhew, I may be confused and not uderstanding your goals here
    i was just looking for recommended wheel and tire sizes. my only goal was to get the thing on the road again.

i know there is a ton of info here and elsewhere, but only recently got it running again on a whim and have put no thought or real prep-work into it. i recall seeing the ASA AR1s and thinking they looked like the OE 16" basket weave (what does the bimmer crowd call that pattern?) only they were 17", and it was easier to order mounted tires than pull the OE wheels off and take them in. plus the added benefit - ordering new wheels, i now have a winter set if i ever need it.

i do not want to go with 18", wide-ass rims, stretched low-profile tires that beat the hell out of me on the road... i also do not want a loosely fitted bag of rubber that wanders all over when i corner (which is what i now have). i'd like to find a well fitted tire with very stiff sidewall - the first tire i had on the OE rims was a goodyear eagle GT, and it was exceptionally stiff.

i suspect ride quality in a straight line will be OK, but i know cornering is going to suck.

it'll be another summer or two before i have excuse to replace these - when i do, i'll know what to get

- - - Updated - - -

lol...

245/45.....rock crawler.
    LOL - OK, i'll update this weekend with a shot. to be honest, it doesn't look half bad in profile. a shot from the front will show they're oversized. they're still tucked in the rear quarters.
    Cheers,
    Phil

jus teasing you man.....

enjoy..its your ride

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL

lol...

245/45.....rock crawler.
    alright - i was able to dig it out of the garage, and actually had to take before and after photos because it was so, so ugly... here's the truck stance:
    before-1_sm.jpg

before-2_sm.jpg

after a little elbow grease and carnuba:
    after-1_sm.jpg

after-2_sm.jpg

i have not taken this on a drive yet - just got a few gallons of new gas in it and still need to take care of a long list of items before i'm happy with it...

but - i am thrilled to have it running again. i've got to replace the roof, drivers interior handle, the seat belt guide, repair the window guides, replace the shift and e-brake boots... you name it. i'm waiting on the rad fan and clutch, new belts, you name it - everything that might have rotted... i'm debating replacing the rotors - i replaced them a year before parking it and they still looked brand new, now they're a grungy eyesore...

oh well - i was on the wagon for a long time, but now i'm firmly in the grips of an addiction to playing with my car again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast