Thread: New Sound System for 582i

My Cars
    1999 BMW E39 528i

Red face New Sound System for 582i

Hey all!

I recently purchased my first BMW, and first car for that matter. It's a '99 E39 528i, and it's in pretty rough shape. I'm planning plenty of fix-ups, but while I can handle body work and cosmetics just fine, one of my least specialty subjects is sound systems and electronics. I was wondering what y'all have in your bimmers to make them bump, because I'm lost in a sea of speakers, amps, and subs on the internet.

I'm planning on taking out the original stereo and cassette deck (and saving them, of course), then installing a touchscreen with bluetooth, navigation, all that fancy jazz. I would love to have an equally modern sounding speaker system, since I love to listen to music in my car while I drive.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Ah yes... The $100 car with the $1,000 stereo. Lol...
    Just poking at ya, no harm no foul.
    If you were gonna keep the stock radio, Bavesound makes a good speaker replacement.
    https://www.bavsound.com/
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E39 528i
    Someday, it will be a $10,000 dollar car with a $1,000 stereo, one little fix at a time! The sentiment is true, though, haha

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

There's various different ways you can go and all depends on various aspects. Things like reliability, features, Sound Quality, external amplifiers and upgraded speakers and subwoofer quality and performance/sound quality levels, budget, main types of music you listen to and if you want a setup that is all about sound quality, or about playing loud but clean and detailed or a mix/blend of both. You'll need to take into account best practice in terms of installation of the equipment and depending on the above, you may need to make modifications to the cars power supply/battery/alternator etc. Entry level brand named car audio equipment that's been installed well and properly will sound better than more expensive or mid range quality levels products that have been installed badly/incorrectly.

Here's a writeup of the install I've done in my Touring - https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/13666...audio-upgrade/ You can see why and how I went about things for the level of SQ/Performance/Spend I had in mind. Other's will go different routes and there's plenty of threads about those if you search around. They range from not very well thought out/installed setups to competition winning and utterly awesome sounding setups which also don't cost as much as you may think, to those that are multiple thousands and the same amount again on install and various other aspects.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by athena582i View Post
    Someday, it will be a $10,000 dollar car with a $1,000 stereo, one little fix at a time! The sentiment is true, though, haha
    I like your spunk. These cars are great to drive but definitely require attention.
    Listen to DennisCooper. He's the stereo guru around here.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.