Thread: Two BMWs. I need help

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992

Two BMWs. I need help

So I inherited 2 BMW vehicles from a friend that passed away and I am looking to sell them.

I have no clue how to price them or what I should do to get them sold.

I inherited a BMW 318IS Convertible 1992 model and a BMW 525I Station Wagon 1995 model. I reside in San Francisco but I have them stored in Stockton.

SO when my friend passed away, we were unable to locate the titles so i went to the DMV paid fees and got them transferred to my name Non Probate. The only issue was the SMOG test.

I took the station wagon to a SMOG test but it didnt get past SMOG as I couldnt get the CAT hot enough. I didnt even try with the 318I because I know its been modified so wont pass SMOG. They passed a SMOG test a couple years ago when my friend took them. Nothings changed since then and now it cant pass SMOG.

Anyway, I know the 318IS 1992 can sell for decent amount as it is pretty popular in the drifting world but the station wagon not much. I think it is the E30 but dont know how to tell and i do know that E30s were discontinued in 1991 and this is a 1992 model which is entirely possible.

Can any one give me an indication of what these cars are worth or any indication of what I can do from here as I dont know BMWs at all. I have photos of these cars

Car 1: BMW 318I Convertible
    Manual
    Black trim, Black exterior
    1992 model
    149000 miles
    Good condition, little dings and dents here and there, recently replaced the fuel pump

Car 2: BMW 525I station wagon
    Automatic
    Black leather trim, White exterior
    1995 model
    169000 miles
    Great condition, very clean

Thank you

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    Assuming they are true California cars in that they have absolutely no rust whatsoever I would conservatively price the E30 at $3000 and the E34 at $1500. It would likely be easier for you to sell the cars to somebody from out of state so that you/they don't have to deal with smog testing. If you can, post the photos/a link to them.

Also, if it's a convertible, it's not an iS. It can have all the options to make it an "iS" but it's not technically considered an iS.

If you're looking for a low effort sale then I would say Craigslist is the way to go.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    These cars have no rust and in good condition. Sorry its not an IS its an I convertible from my understanding. I think it is the 4 cylinder.

Please find images attached in this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nynf3vzwv...SFwMjJbLa?dl=0

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    That convertible looks like it's been modified. The gauges are not stock, and neither is that front valence. Do you know if any work was done on the drivetrain? Maybe you could get some pictures of the engine compartment. I see how you were mislead though someone put a 318is badge on the convertible. That wagon is indeed very clean!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    sasha, where are you from? you are not from san francisco
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    I got no clue what was done to the car. But i know the intake is illegal thats what the SMOG guy said to me. Whatever that means. Most of them are trying to take me for a ride. Let me try get you pictures of the engine bay.

I know the SMOG dude said that i would probably need to get a new cat.

I put an image in the dropbox link above on the exact reason why the WAGON failed SMOG. It just failed the emissions test. Can anyone tell me how I can get it to pass or if you know anybody that would be interested to take it as is.

- - - Updated - - -

I am originally from South Africa but I reside in San Francisco right now. Interesting that you figured that out. LOL
    Last edited by Sasha Vickers; 06-25-2019 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    Your way of speaking
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    I have attached photos of the engine bay in my drop box.

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    That is a very interesting intake and ITB setup on the 318i. Both of the cars look rather nice. If I had more money right now I would probably make you an offer. If you sold them you could probably make a fair amount but getting them to pass smog will be difficult/expensive/both.

The intake, although it may be part of why you are failing smog, is absolutely not illegal.

Good luck and keep us updated.

My Cars
    i don't understand where the pictures are? whats a drop box?
    No e30s again.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    i don't understand where the pictures are? whats a drop box?
    Click here
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    Thank you for your help. To get it to pass SMOG I would probably need to replace the catalytic converter as well.

What do you suggest. Do you think it would be a cheaper alternative to replace the intake back to stock and get a new cat? Or do you think I should hot SMOG it and sell as is?

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry the 318 has higher mileage then what I first indicated. It has 171000miles. I drove the 318i from Stockton to Vallejo and it actually drives like a dream. Super fun car to drive

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    Could anyone tell me what would be required to get the Wagon to pass SMOG? That car has no mods, it just failed the emissions test. Do i need to take it on a longer drive.

Thank you

My Cars
    if you have the print out from when it failed, than people could tell you if getting the cat hotter would work. it just depends on the readings from the test.

you guys have me anxious to see the intake on the 318 but the computers here at work won't open the links. I will look when I get home.

can you list it across the state line in Nevada or Oregon? maybe their smog test is easier to pass, or even non-existent? if it was here in texas, smog is a visual test in a lot of counties so you could sell both fairly easily
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    The print out is attached in my drop box. Not very clear but clear enough. If I could sell it out of state or register it out of state I would but I assume if I take it to the DMV I would need a residence out of the state of California? And I would need to get out of state plates on the car? All confusing to me. Bloody CA law is frustrating 🙈🙈🙈

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    I cant really give you any advice on the SMOG - but if you search "SMOG" on this site you should get some different techniques..

My guess is that Intake Throttle Bodies (ITB's) may not pass the "visual" test and thus may be considered "illegal". They wouldn't contain any EGR system and they wouldn't be considered stock in any form. - I would clarify that with the shop - and thus you may have to remove them in order for inspection to "pass". The ITB are on the convertible - but you are concerned about the wagon and the wagon is stock.

Here is a couple of references to check out: (Basically make sure you have no vacuum leaks, car is running and idling smoothly - no check engine light - cat is hot - do this first - then try these other things CRC or SEAFOAM)

http://e30.bmwdiy.info/e30-smog-survey/index.html

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...highlight=smog

My Cars
    also, some people with modifications that keep the car from passing have poured a few bottles of 90% rubbing alcohol into the tank before they went to get inspected and gotten it to pass on the machine, in the past. I have read that a few times on here and back in the e30tech days
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    80 E21 Euro, 85 E30 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Vickers View Post
    If I could sell it out of state or register it out of state I would but I assume if I take it to the DMV I would need a residence out of the state of California?
    If I remember correctly, Vermont will allow you to register a car by mail with an out of state address.

https://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations/new

Good luck!

My Cars
    Holy cow!! That convertible has some expensive parts on it. Someone really spent some time and money on that car. It seems like they were trying to make a mock m3 convertible
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i; 1978 F150
    I'd like that convertible here in Texas

My Cars
    BMW 318IS 1992
    Hi guys. Thought I’d give you all an update. I managed to sell the black 318 for $2500 as is without passing SMOG some guy took it. Think he is a drifter. I currently have the white station wagon 525i advertised in classifieds. Got it to pass SMOG and is running so good and trying to sell it. Had a few offers close to what I want for it. I have had a crazy response to it since I just put out an advert.

My Cars
    that's good. hopefully it goes quickly and for what you wish to get for it
    No e30s again.