Thread: Convertible top motor misaligned?

My Cars
    E36 328ic, E90 328xi

Convertible top motor misaligned?

I'm trying to close my top before I do the bungee fix by Flyfishvt, but when trying to close the top to my windshield, it's stopping about 4 inches from the windshield and locking while still in mid air. I now notice that the passenger side latch hook is not closing when it thinks it's seating in the latch. Any help would be great as i'm about to receive rain all week and I've just left the top down, but put a cover on with the motors disengaged.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    1) If the top is tight (or cold out) you sometime have to help it in closing by LIGHTLY pulling down on the header handle during the final closing process.

2) If you do not see the lock engaging then your drive cable/locking assembly on that side has an issue. The cable could have just popped out or could be damaged. Drop your header and inspect for damage.

I have any needed parts if the need arises. You can text me
    Greg
    410-967-617 zero.

My Cars
    E36 328ic, E90 328xi
    Thanks for the advice Greg. I’m currently at work, but I’ll take a look tonight. Hopefully it is just a disconnected wire. My only concern is the latch is broken as it slides an inch on the rail, but then stops. I’ve been trying to look around for a repair kid, but I’m only seeing e46 latch fixes(doesn’t appear to be the same at all).

update:
    I just took a look at that last night and it does look like the cable popped out. I didn't put it together as I pulled the latch motor as well, but by manually spinning the cable, the latch works as it should. The drive cable on the other hand is contorted/stretched a bit in a weird way so I may try and make a bracket/collar to force the cable straight. I'd be leaving some slack for the cable to move around within the collar still. Anyone have any objections as to why this is a bad idea vs paying $700 for a new assembly?
    Last edited by Jiefkeef; 06-18-2019 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    I can provide both the complete lock/cable assembly to bolt in @$120 or if you are a bit more mechanical just the cable/screw part and install it yourself. $75

Feel free to text me
    Greg
    410-967-6170

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    Greg is a great seller if you need any parts to help your convertible work again contact him first.

My Cars
    E36 328ic, E90 328xi
    Thanks Greg, appreciate it. I did a little quick fix and used piping to straighten out the cable/stop it from popping loose. I'm just having issues with the tonneau cover now as it won't dis-engage to stow the top away. Also seeing my convertible top motor disengaging as soon as I complete the first sequence of Bow 1 raising to the top. Would love if you have a quick solution for either?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiefkeef View Post
    Thanks Greg, appreciate it. I did a little quick fix and used piping to straighten out the cable/stop it from popping loose. I'm just having issues with the tonneau cover now as it won't dis-engage to stow the top away. Also seeing my convertible top motor disengaging as soon as I complete the first sequence of Bow 1 raising to the top. Would love if you have a quick solution for either?
    Hello,
    What you stated is a little vague. Add more info or text me
    410-967-617 zero

My Cars
    E36 328ic, E90 328xi
    I did a bungee cord fix and went on to attempt to work the convertible top. From the locked position the top would go as follows,

Top Latch unlocks
    Top Raises
    Rear Bow Reaches 90 degrees...
    From there I hear a pop only to find the top motor popped out.

When I tried to re-engage the motors and resync the top would go as follows,

Lid shuts and locks
    Lid Opens, BUT latch does not release.

I'm guessing I would need to test the micro-switch somehow as to why the latch won't release the lid?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Your tonneau motor has a bent plate (and maybe conical gears) You will need to remove the entire tonneau motor assembly. One plate holds the motor, one holds the gears. When undue pressure is exerted on the motor the plate may bend. When this happens the gears do not line up and will make a machine gun sound or pop the motor open. Too much of this makes the gears grind into a conical shape making the assembly worthless. Remove yours and check the alignment of the plates. Remove the motor from the plate and hammer it straight. Put it all back together and see if it works. If you hear the machine gun, it's time for a replacement motor.

I'm hoping that it is just bent but I rarely see them pop unless there is severe gear damage.

My Cars
    E36 328ic, E90 328xi
    Thanks for the insight Greg. Would that cause the whole sequence to stop at the lid not unlatching? I have been hearing a banging noise when the top tries to go into the lid for a while, but I would always give the front bow a little push and it would move without issues after that. I will inspect the motor, in the coming days as I've also been looking for a way to rebuild the main motor.

Thanks