Thread: About to sign a 2019 BMW 440i GC xDrive -- Questions

My Cars
    2019 BMW 440i xDrive

Post About to sign a 2019 BMW 440i GC xDrive -- Questions

Hi everyone,

Wanted to sign up for an account here since I just put a deposit on a 2019 440i GranCoupe xDrive. Figured it would make sense to learn from this space right about when I am picking up the car in a few days (they are trucking it from a nearby state).

I mostly have 2 questions:

- The car is coming stock with run-flat tires. I have heard than those are more headache than one wishes. They are expensive to replace, noisy, and non-performant. Is this true? If so, has anyone successfully swapped the tires to regulars at some shop without it costing them an arm and a leg?

- Is there anything special I should know about this car? I drove a non xDrive as a test drive and it felt pretty good. I previously had a Golf R so I am definitely used to the speed but overall comfort was great.

I'll post some pictures on Wednesday when I pick it up!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    I don't know that car, but I think run-flats have advantages and disadvantages. To change over will be a few bucks! Good luck with the new ride.

Moved from the General BMW Discussion sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowngovernor View Post
    - The car is coming stock with run-flat tires. I have heard than those are more headache than one wishes. They are expensive to replace, noisy, and non-performant.
    They are more expensive overall, although the price difference has narrowed some. But all high-performance tires are expensive.

Come on, now, high performance tires are noisy.

The performance suffers because they're always one or two generations older than new HP tires. For instance, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP only recently became available, about two years after the PS4. I've been stuck with PS2 ZP since I replaced the Bridgestone RE050A after a year or so.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 228i coupe
    Congrats on the new ride. As for run flats, I have them on my 228i. It’s over two years and no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Hi everyone,

Wanted to sign up for an account here since I just put a deposit on a 2019 440i GranCoupe xDrive. Figured it would make sense to learn from this space right about when I am picking up the car in a few days (they are trucking it from a nearby state).

I mostly have 2 questions:

- The car is coming stock with run-flat tires. I have heard than those are more headache than one wishes. They are expensive to replace, noisy, and non-performant. Is this true? If so, has anyone successfully swapped the tires to regulars at some shop without it costing them an arm and a leg?

- Is there anything special I should know about this car? I drove a non xDrive as a test drive and it felt pretty good. I previously had a Golf R so I am definitely used to the speed but overall comfort was great.
    We have had run flats on our family cars for decades. The early ones were horrible, mainly the ride quality. However, the ones on our last two cars, including our 440i GC, ride about the same as any performance tire. I had looked into replacing a set of run flats about 6-7 years ago: it would have cost a lot initially due to an extra wheel and tire, but after that set needed replacement, the price would be much less. However, we do not seem to keep our cars very long, so when I had to replace the RFs on our Mercedes we just bought the same....then traded the Merc for the BMW 2 months later. Sometimes I do not plan too well.........

We are nuts about our 440i. Sometimes my wife and and fight over who gets to drive today. <g>
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    2019 BMW 440i xDrive
    Picked it up last week. Damn, a great car is something else. Just everything about it. Livin’ the life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Picked it up last week. Damn, a great car is something else. Just everything about it. Livin’ the life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congrats on he 440i. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I really like the looks and its performance. It will be hard to go back to a 4 cylinder engine again. I really, really miss the "old" straight sixes the BMWs used to have....I thought when they went with the fours they made a mistake. But they were okay, just not as exciting as the turbo'ed sixes of our 440i model!
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    435i msport xdrive
    I have a 435i xdrive. Ive had fast cars and always said tires are arguable the most impotant thing you can put on your car.. that said yea theses runflats tires(it came with) have alil tire noise to them and have grip for days......! no real complents here

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by 01JoKer10 View Post
    I have a 435i xdrive. Ive had fast cars and always said tires are arguable the most impotant thing you can put on your car.. that said yea theses runflats tires(it came with) have alil tire noise to them and have grip for days......! no real complents here
    Compared to run-flats of 10 years ago, today's models are much, much better in all respects. <g>
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    Switched the oem RFs on our 15 335xi to Bridgestones and they’re a little quieter
    Remember there’s no space in these cars for a spare