Thread: Anti-roll Bar Assembly

My Cars
    BMW 320/6

Anti-roll Bar Assembly

Hi,

I have had my car fail it’s MOT (inspection) due to the front anti-roll bar having a bushing supposedly missing (right hand side of the below picture). Could anybody confirm as to whether this correct or not? It would seem to me as if there is no way for another bush to fit in that gap, and doing so would restrict the movement of the control arm.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    82 E21
    That gap is normal. You should see the anti-roll bar slide into a sleeve within the control arm and that sleeve is suspended from the bushing (visible on the side with the nut).

MJ

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    It's hard to tell from the picture how much of the old bushing is left in there, but since you can't see any of it at all in the front, you might as well replace that on both sides. And while you're at it, you might want to replace the bushings that hold the sway bar to the frame. If you are doing the work yourself, you will need some way of pressing the remains of the old bushing out of the control arm and pressing the new one in - there is probably a way to do that with a long bolt and some collars (pipe pieces) and washers, I'll bet that there is a thread in this forum that talks about how to do that. If you are taking it to a shop to do, it should not take them too much time and the bushings themselves are not that expensive.

My Cars
    BMW 320/6
    The control arm was replaced two years ago, along with the bushing inside of it. I am just looking for confirmation as to whether that gap is normal, which I was sure it is but have been told otherwise by the mechanic inspecting the car.

Thanks.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    What year is your car? The early & late control arms are different but I can't quite tell by looking at yours. I would say not a normal gap for an early car.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    The rubberized bit of that washer is gone, maybe that’s the gap difference you’re seeing?
    -John

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    This gap is normal for a later (80-83) car. If that bushing is not ripped inside and control arm does not move around on the sway bar, everything is fine.

Try another MOT mechanic? Sounds like someone have never seen a car like this and is only familiar with new models that do not have these kind of designs.

Max

My Cars
    BMW 320/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    This gap is normal for a later (80-83) car. If that bushing is not ripped inside and control arm does not move around on the sway bar, everything is fine.

Try another MOT mechanic? Sounds like someone have never seen a car like this and is only familiar with new models that do not have these kind of designs.

Max
    Yeah I think I’m going to save myself some trouble and go elsewhere.

Thank you.