Thread: 18 M2 F87 LCI - AutoX/Daily TMPS Delima

My Cars
    2018 BMW M2

Question 18 M2 F87 LCI - AutoX/Daily TPMS Delima

Now that I've dialed in my tire pressures for autocrossing on the RE-71Rs, I've run into the annoying TPMS issue where the TPMS detects low pressures and kicks me out of sport+ and DSC off. I run 28psi on all four corners and that seems to be the magic number for when the TPMS detects low pressure. If I'm at 29psi, it doesn't seem to happen. While some might say just run 29, I say NO! The car feels the best at 28, and I'm in a heated battle for the BS class championship with a camaro. Under wet conditions, I've been known to drop to 26. It's never an issue until the tires are nice and hot and the pressures stop rising and stay consistent.

I know I can reset the system through iDrive, and I have been, sitting at the start line before I'm given the go on every run. The problem that I've run into at 3 events in a row now is that with just a few hundred feet to go in the run (somewhat long courses, FTD @ ~40s), the reset has completed and I'm kicked out of sport+/dsc. Nothing is more jarring that going through a slalom white knuckled, thinking you've got the win, and having the car basically die on you and quit rotating hitting the final two cones. The national tour events in my area have shorter courses, so it hasn't been an issue other than at local events.

I've read that you can code it out but it seems most of the coding software available is only for winblows, and I'm a mac user (although android phone, long story). If there's coding software available for a mac, I seriously don't mind opening up the laptop at the event, code off the tpms and when done coding it back on. While that may seem extreme, I get the value of the tpms and would like all the fancy gadgets to be available to me when I'm not actively running.

What are people doing about this tpms issue on the M2's?
    Is there coding software for mac?
    Do I have to just live with this and pray before every run that it isn't going to happen?

20190316_112915 (1).jpgScreen Shot 2019-06-14 at 9.22.32 PM.png
    Last edited by digitalseance; 06-14-2019 at 09:27 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M3 Coupe Track Car
    Download virtual box or buy VMware fusion. Install Windows in a VM. I'm on a Mac and that's what I do.

Or buy the Schwaben scan tool from ECS.

I have both and I use the Schwaben tool more often than my laptop. I'm on E46 tho.

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    I would check on the legality of coding that out too. Not sure if it is legal.

My Cars
    2018 M2
    Would be interested in any updates on a B-Street legal mod for this too! I have an '18 M2 also, been hitting the tpms reset on IDrive prior to the start of each autox run. Haven't had the system reset fast enough to start detecting before the finish of the run though. Even when trying to do a complete reset (prior to knowing that just the initiating of the reset function allows me to turn DSC totally off and run) on the street it takes a few blocks for reset to finish. One autox event I got the warning in between runs, and drove around the paddock area for what seemed like 10 minutes for the reset to finish.

I have also heard that you can remove the tpms sensors, the DSC can still for shut off, and the other driving functions will default to Comfort mode. That might actually be the best performance setting for my driving style, but I do like seeing tire pressures and temps while on the road.

I haven't run autox laps with less than 29 psi on the tires yet, so not sure if that is less an issue. I think I read some place that 28 psi (as read by the tpms) will cause the warning regardless of what pressure the system was reset at. Have not confirmed this.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Don