My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.

[SOLVED] Water in housing, object in coolant, idler pulley?

Good day People of BimmerForums!

Thank you in advance for your time and effort!

VEHICLE:
    2001 X5
    M54
    E53

THE PROBLEMS: a couple of things.
    1. While cleaning the engine my oil filter housing was off and my cover solution failed and I got water in there. What problems am I looking at and any solutions would be most helpful?

2. When I was taking off the old coolant pipes part of the old pipes broke off in the block. One I was able to retrieve everything, but the other one a small chunk of it feel into the block. What problems am I looking at and any solutions would be most helpful? (Please refer to the picture for which hole, the part in question is indicate in red.)

3. A brand new idler pulley should feel how? The old one spun easy without stopping like those fidget spinners, but with a grittiness. The new one I ordered has resistance, but is smooth. P/N: 5320418100

Thank you again for all of your help!

Screenshot_2019-06-14 RealOEM com - Online BMW Parts Catalog.png
    Last edited by LIOTB; 07-07-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Adding the word solved, spelling correction

My Cars
    A simple oil change will take care of any water that went down the oil passage. As far as the piece that fell into the block, not sure what to tell you. Maybe put a garden hose into a coolant hose, and see if you can flush it out. Third, you are correct with the idler pulley. There will be resistance, but it will roll smoothly.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    A simple oil change will take care of any water that went down the oil passage. As far as the piece that fell into the block, not sure what to tell you. Maybe put a garden hose into a coolant hose, and see if you can flush it out. Third, you are correct with the idler pulley. There will be resistance, but it will roll smoothly.
    Hello White94RX,

You are brilliant, thank you!

That puts my mind at ease about the water in the oil, thank you much! Okay, great suggestion, I will do the hose trick and get back with you. Also, on that note I have been trying to pin down the block coolant drain plug, is it the alan wrench one behind the crank/harmonic pulley on the passenger side? Oh, perfect, thank you for the insight on the pulley as the place of purchase couldn't give me a straight answer.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    I seriously believe that White should be on the payroll here....*wink*
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
    I seriously believe that White should be on the payroll here....*wink*
    Agreed!

Peter, also, do you have any insight into my question about where the location of the engine block coolent drain plug is? Thank you much.
    Last edited by LIOTB; 06-15-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Addition of a question

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The worn idler will spin for days the new one might not finish one revolution when spun

My Cars
    Haha. Thanks guys.

I don't know about the block drain. I've honestly never used it, if there even is one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The worn idler will spin for days the new one might not finish one revolution when spun
    Hello jclausen,

Well said, that's a perfect description of what I see. Thank you so much for getting back with me and helping me out!

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Haha. Thanks guys.

I don't know about the block drain. I've honestly never used it, if there even is one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Hello White,

I have seen it online (pelicanparts.com) and professional YouTube channels talk about it, both even point in the general direction, but the pictures and videos are so vague on this particular point I never see exactly what they're talking about. I can't find it on the diagrams either.

Well in that case, and since only the professionals have talked about it I don't think I'll worry about it and just do a really good flush.

Thank you again for your time.
    Last edited by LIOTB; 06-16-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added two words

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Hello White94RX,
    I did the hose thing and a little junk came out including some of the stuff that broke off, but what was really effective and got everything else out was when I put the vacuum on reverse and pushed air through the whole system. That got everything. Thanks a lot again for your help!

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Glad you got everything sorted out!
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
    Glad you got everything sorted out!
    Thank you for all the help!

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Update [SOLVED]:
    After a months long fight with this engine including the issues in his thread these three items were addressed by doing an oil change with seafoam, using a hose and a vacuum to flush out and blow out the coolant system which ejected some junk, and replacing the belts and pulleys. Thanks to you these three items were addressed worry and stress free with confidence. I started the car yesterday after all that I did with it and it ran beautifully, in fact better than when I purchased it.
    Last edited by LIOTB; 07-07-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Added the word solved