Thread: Steering column telescope

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci

Steering column telescope

Yes, sounds like many other threads but I have not found a thread where only one direction of column movement does not function with manual stalk. I can manually move column up, down and in towards dash. I cannot manually telescope wheel out from dash. Luckily the previous owner has programmed one of the memory settings with the wheel telescopes out pretty far. If manually moved too far toward dash I can use memory to extend column back out again. I have removed fuse 40 for an extended period but no change. Seems to me that this is likely the manual stalk switch but I haven't found where anyone else has this issue. Before I go changing the manual switch I thought I would ask if this sounds logical. The only other issue in this area is the passenger mirror tilt in reverse returns to a random location after transmission was in reverse and it tilted down. I leave the mirror switch in passenger position to stop this from happening. My understanding is that this is controlled in the same memory module as the telescoping wheel which is the reason I mentioned it.
    Does changing the switch sound like the correct thing to try?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    It sounds more like the memory module is defective, which I’ve had happen a couple times. I have found replacement modules on eBay for a reasonable price, but you may have to wait a little while for one to show up. The module is located behind the center vent in the middle of the dash. Removing the MID display allows you to access it without having to remove the center vent, which is easily broken and very expensive to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Thank you mbaarrett I will aim for the module and see what I find.

My Cars
    94 850 CSi, 89 635CSi
    The seat and mirror memory module, and the steering column functions have separate diagnostics in DIS. For the steering column, I was able to successfully recalibrate the column functions on a '97 850 yesterday. Up/down were fine, but in/out were reversed, and there were no faults. The calibration function moves the column in each direction to "learn" the maximum setting of all four positions. DIS instructs you to move the key to "R" and then start the calibration. I assumed R meant Run and started the car and then clicked start calibration -- nothing happened. So I tried again with the key again in "On" position as required for DIS -- nothing happened. Hum? When I turned the key off, the column did a full up/down/in/out sequence to my amazement, and now the column switch works perfectly.

I did up/down seat cable repair on both non-working seats in a '93 850 last week. They now go up and down perfectly, but the up/down function is reversed. I ran out of time to diagnose further, but will get my hands on the car again soon and hope I can use DIS to correct the polarity.

So, I suggest you diagnose with software such as DIS or INPA before you start replacing parts. Of course, first check for broken wires and/or bad connections under the driver's seat.
    Last edited by gary8; 06-14-2019 at 11:33 PM.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    A couple of years ago steering column memory control in my '97, 850, started acting up.
    Telescoping had limited travel and the up/down was reversed with no fault codes on the DIS.
    Also, the steering column shaft would push out (1/2 to 3/4 inch) of the upper bushing causing the steering wheel to wobble when the steering column traveled out.
    Turned out the limited motion/reversed travel problem was one of the capacitors on the Steering Memory Module PC board had failed and was over loading one of the dual +5V internal supplies causing the dysfunction.
    The steering column shaft pushing out of the upper bushing was caused by the steering column slip-joint grease was dried up. The grease in the slip joint was like a glue and it was preventing the slip joint from freely moving during the telescoping function.
    Replaced the cap in the memory module, cleaned up the old grease and re-greased the slip joint and calibrated the steering column with the DIS and all has been good ever since.
    Old Cars!! Love'em but they have there issues!!
    Last edited by m6bigdog; 06-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    Update: It ended up that my stalk was bad in the outward direction. If you undo the one screw on the center bottom of steering column and unsnap the plastic cover you will see the stalk on the left side of the column.

Bottom of stalk has 5 solder connections - red circle
    20200721_170814.jpg

From left to right:
    Brown/Red Stripe = toward driver
    Brown/Blue Stripe = toward dash
    Brown = Ground
    Brown/Black Stripe = UP
    Brown/White Stripe = Down

Continuity between ground and each corresponding terminal while moving the stalk will confirm if stalk is good on all directions. Keep in mind - if you are lazy like I am you will be doing this with batteries still connected and column will move during the testing. You just have to be ready for it as you hold your test probes on the solder joints.

If any do not pass continuity test then stalk is bad. Replacement is easy.

On left side of stalk there is a lever (looking down stalk toward steering column). Push down on lever and slide stalk out from its mount.

Lever
    20200721_172423.jpg

Follow wires and cut zip ties that have it bundled to various other wires. The other end of the wire is to the left of the column and above steel cross brace. I removed the decorative piece on the cross brace but do not remember if I needed to. Connector is reachable with small hands to the left of column. Larger hands will have an issue reaching the connector and the other entry point is where the GM etc are located.

Sorry pics are not great and I was only permitted to post 2 of them.