Thread: Use Hardtop with Soft-Top Frame Removed

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M

Use Hardtop with Soft-Top Frame Removed

I'm thinking about removing the soft-top and motor from the car....mainly for weight savings and that I rarely use it since getting a hardtop. Though peeking at the mounting points of the frame, it seems that the hardtop hardware is mounted to it. Is this the case and an additional mount would have to be fabricated to hold the hardware? Figured I'd reach out before diving deeper into this.
    -Phil

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Don’t do it.
    Keep the soft top there.
    You will not notice the difference.

When you come time to sell it will put buyers off not having the soft top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    After painstakingly replacing my soft-top and sealing frames and headliner ($800), a few years of use left it leaking and with window creases. I bought a black hardtop and it took no more than 20 minutes to remove my soft-top.

Never selling my car, so no regrets

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Curious about this too... so a hardtop would go over the soft? I thought it’s one or the other. Not to steal the thread, the car I just bought has a failed motor, I just open and close manually. Should I remove the old motor and use it as a paper weight? Is it located by the rear strut mounts?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    After painstakingly replacing my soft-top and sealing frames... a few years of use left it leaking...
    You put in a new sealing frame and sealed it properly with butyl tape. Why would use of the top make the sealing frame leak?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    After painstakingly replacing my soft-top and sealing frames and headliner ($800), a few years of use left it leaking and with window creases. I bought a black hardtop and it took no more than 20 minutes to remove my soft-top.

Ok so you were able to use the hardtop with the whole soft-top frame removed?

I don't plan on selling it either. The Z3M roadster may not be great to use for a track car, but I'm not trying to set any lap records or be the fastest out there. Just wanna have fun while building my driving skills. Plus I may need to run frame piping through soft-top folding area if I do a full cage.
    -Phil

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    The brackets that hold the hardtop in place are separate from the softtop attachment points. You could remove the softtop and save 30 pounds (or whatever it weighs), but I'm skeptical you'd notice a difference in performance. Also, the hardtop rests partially on the softtop clamps in the rear--without the softtop I suspect you'd get more rattling and possibly paint rubbing in the rear.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

So, did it rattle and rub the paint? I'm thinking more of freeing up that space than about weight. Since you've had yours in hand, what would you say it weighs?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    ... the hardtop rests partially on the softtop clamps in the rear--without the softtop I suspect you'd get more rattling and possibly paint rubbing in the rear.
    I don't believe that is accurate. The rear of the hard top has a soft rubber gasket and two hard rubber pads that all rest on the body. If the hard top mounts are properly adjusted to pull it down on the pads, it will not rattle.
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=14
    There is no connection point or touching between the hard top and the folded soft top. The soft top can be completely removed with no effect on the hard top, and will free up space in the boot behind the seats.
    But I think the lack of the soft top, frame and canvas, would drop the value of the car. The canvas can always be easily bought, but not the frame.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-18-2020 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 2.5 Z3
    My husband and I thought about it to, if u remove the soft top, you mow have more space if need for stuff also, one day we might retire her as a convertible and get a hardtop and do this, who knows

My Cars
    z3
    The soft top is also mostly rear weight, where it benefits traction. Removing the top may reduce weight but also hurt the weight distribution

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The soft top is also mostly rear weight, where it benefits traction. Removing the top may reduce weight but also hurt the weight distribution
    Okay, so now you've got me thinking. I think the hard and soft weigh about the same, and are distributed about the same (when the soft top is up). There are discussions about whether the hard top helps stiffness/handling. I've noticed some improvement with the hard top. ..... So ..... could the improvement be due to the hard top stiffness AND the fact that all of the soft top weight is now crammed in over the rear wheels? If I ever take the soft top out, then I'll know.

My Cars
    z3
    Could be. *Technically* the car does have slightly more grip when the top is down. An additional hardtop - however light it is (arent they fiberglass?) - would only further accentuate that.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    ... I think the hard and soft weigh about the same...
    The hard top weighs 54 lbs. and is made of fiberglass with a glass window. I think the bows, canvas and plastic window of the soft top weigh half of that.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    are you the Tommy Maddox that went to LD Bell HS then onto the pros?
    Have Fun & Be Safe -Chilly Billy-