Thread: Bentley Manuals - Please help

My Cars
    BMW 2000 M Coupe

Bentley Manuals - Please help

Guys, What's the difference between both books? There's a gray cover and the yellow cover? I have a 2000 Mcoupe. Please let me know because I have to purchase one today. Doing some vanos and timing chain work on the car over the weekend.

If you suggest an online pdf or something else, please let me know. I'm not sure if someone has a manual posted as a pdf here...

Thank you gentlemen... and ladies!
    Jimmy.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Use this instead**__it's the real deal. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

** unless you're just looking for a good door-stop

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The TIS is online, too detailed, hard to find stuff, and I can't find replacing my water pump at all.
    The door stop is portable, easy to use, and complete enough for most people.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Where has this been all my (BMW) life? Thanks Randy!

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyt123 View Post
    Guys, What's the difference between both books? There's a gray cover and the yellow cover? I have a 2000 Mcoupe. Please let me know because I have to purchase one today. Doing some vanos and timing chain work on the car over the weekend.

If you suggest an online pdf or something else, please let me know. I'm not sure if someone has a manual posted as a pdf here...

Thank you gentlemen... and ladies!
    Jimmy.
    You'd have to post a link to what you're looking at, but I suspect the grey cover is the old style (softcover) and the yellow is hardcover (new type). Probably comes down to which is cheaper, or if you'd rather have hard or soft cover.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Never seen a grey cover. I've got a blue cover that covers 96-98. A yellow cover that covers 96-2002. For a 2000, I'd say go with the yellow. AFAIK it was the last one published.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Mine is grey and softcover (printed 2005). It covers the entire range of Z3 years/models from 96-02. I have a Bentley manual from 2011 for my Mini which is yellow, and hardcover. So yeah, I think the yellow is the later type. But if you found the grey one for cheaper, it's an option.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 M Coupe
    RANDY, you're the man.

Thanks man!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you guys! I appreciate the help.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I bought a Bentley when I bought my Z back in '10. I've used it once or twice. I've had access to the TIS basically for the same time frame. I've used it once. I do my research here first, on the web in general second. I've don a lot of work in the interim. There is almost nothing that hasn't been written about and commented on extensively. If there are unanswered questions, I ask here. The wealth of knowledge available here is so extensive it dwarfs any single reference. I can get a torque spec faster on my phone that it takes me to find my Bentley or drill down in the TIS. I remember the days of going to the library to photocopy the relevant pages out of a Haynes (Chiltons was worthless), of finding an old timer who would deign to impart the wisdom of the ages in return for a beer. No more. It is important to contribute to as well as to take from this knowledge base, but you no longer need a manual.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    I have the yellow one. It is hard cover. I’ve found it has been helpful in providing torque specs and in describing the order of repairs.

Also a good cross reference and overview of the systems in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I like the Bentley too because it is worded for amateurs instead of professional mechanics, but there are a lot of things in the TIS that are not covered by the Bentley at all.

I believe these are the instructions for your water pump: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...mp-with-drive/

You can also print out the instructions from TIS and not worry about getting them dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The TIS is online, too detailed, hard to find stuff, and I can't find replacing my water pump at all.
    The door stop is portable, easy to use, and complete enough for most people.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 M Coupe
    For some reason, I can't find info from the TIS on the upper chain tensioner or guide removal and all... I know the steps and how to remove this however, I still want to have the right-up with all torque specs from factory. Let me know if someone has the link.

BMW M Coupe 2000
    Thank you!!
    Jimmy.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25

/.randy

My Cars
    BMW 2000 M Coupe
    Thank you!!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It's all there, in NewTIS, or you can have it locally on your computer with the TIS I uploaded in the diagnostic thread.

If you know the general part numbers of the area you're working in (as RealOEM would have it), TIS follows the same number structure. BMW part numbering system is phenomenal.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW 2000 M Coupe
    Thank you.

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    I bought a Bentley when I bought my Z back in '10. I've used it once or twice. I've had access to the TIS basically for the same time frame. I've used it once. I do my research here first, on the web in general second. I've don a lot of work in the interim. There is almost nothing that hasn't been written about and commented on extensively. If there are unanswered questions, I ask here. The wealth of knowledge available here is so extensive it dwarfs any single reference. I can get a torque spec faster on my phone that it takes me to find my Bentley or drill down in the TIS. I remember the days of going to the library to photocopy the relevant pages out of a Haynes (Chiltons was worthless), of finding an old timer who would deign to impart the wisdom of the ages in return for a beer. No more. It is important to contribute to as well as to take from this knowledge base, but you no longer need a manual.
    +1, well said.

I do have a Bentley manual in direct sight right now LOL! paid my money for it back in the day - yep Grey with a picture of a roadster and coupe and about 3 inches thick, it was a step up from nothing circa 2001? But we had Roadfly even back then..

Also to note, I believe ISTA-D has TIS built into it. So as you select service functions the appropriate TIS can be viewed - never used it on my Z3 no need, only way I know is through repair of my E90.
    Last edited by ZGator; 06-14-2019 at 09:37 PM.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为