Thread: Starting an M52 out of a car

My Cars
    M52 Swapped MGB GT

Starting an M52 out of a car

Hi all,
    I've recently purchased a 1970 MGB GT that someone has swapped an M52b25 into, at the moment its just mounted in the car with no wiring done yet.
    Originally the plan was to pull the engine and swap in a rover v8 but the more I think about it a modern 6cyl in a car like that would be ideal!
    The plan is to track the car but first I need to get the engine running as its a complete unknown, Mot history form the e39 shows its done 137,000m that's all I know.
    I've done a little bit of searching and cant seem to find and posts where someone has started the engine outside the chassis (I.e. on an engine stand)
    Can anyone help or offer any advice.
    The engine came out of a 97' E39 523i
    Cheers,
    Luke

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Does the engine have it's wire harness and DME?
    With those and a wiring diagram you ought to be able to apply power where needed and run it.
    The DMEs have "EWS" which is the theft protection system. Without the other bits for the DME to communicate with it will not order fuel or spark so you'll need a tuner chip with the EWS deleted. EWS also inhibits the starter but this is easily defeated.
    Lots of EWS info (good and bad) on the web, same for the wiring diagram. Try here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/ for the wiring info.
    As your engine was used in the E36 & E39 chassis and both cars have an active sub-forum here you'll be well served to do some searching and reading there too.
    Last edited by ross1; 06-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    LS E46
    Sounds like an electronics nightmare. That engine is also tall, long and heavy. It’s also a dog - it’s the weakest engine offered in the states. Stick with the Rover V8 idea.