Thread: Insane hypothetical: E24 electric vehicle conversion

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring

Insane hypothetical: E24 electric vehicle conversion

Wanted to throw this out to you e24 folks and ask some vague questions related to it

I'm planning out an EV conversion but i haven't settled on a specific car yet. been considering C3 corvettes and old jaguars, all kinds of stuff.
    My benchmark for final specs looks something like:
    -15 grand worth of drivetrain components (motor, batteries, controller, charger)
    -400whp out of a tesla model 3 rear drive unit
    -32kw of chevy volt batteries, preferably the gen 2 cells since they're a little better
    -final range will likely be around 130 miles in mixed driving, maybe a bit less.

I was looking at the e24 since I've always loved its styling and character, and a whole lot of torque and silence i feel would compliment it's GT nature.

Now, here's some weird general e24 questions you might able to answer. I know almost nothing about the platform so far
    --With the engine and transmission pulled, do you feel the engine bay is pretty spacious? or is there a lot of shock tower intrusion and stuff? Most of the batteries will go in a frame that sits where the engine did.
    --How much space is there for the rear diff? Is it a small diff really squeezed in there or pretty spacious? The drive unit will be sitting here. No driveshaft or anything, i imagine i'll need to cut into a body a bit but hopefully not much, especially if i mount the motor a little lower.
    --Is the rear subframe really strong? to compliment the above, i'll be welding mount points for the rear subframe to match the mount points on the motor, which already have bushings and such. The issue is like 500 foot pounds of torque acting on those
    --Is the gas tank, and the space where it sits, both large and well integrated into the frame? I'll be replacing the gas tank with some batteries and some charger controlling equipment, it'll be heavier than gas, but i don't know if i'll need some extra frame bracing.
    --How interconnected are all the computer systems? If i take the engine completely out can i do hacky things like leave the ECU in there so it can lie to the rest of the car? If the ECU and transmission controller are completely removed will basically nothing else (like the ABS, or the body control system) work?

this is all really hypothetical but hey, something cool to think about
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    I take it youve seen the ev powered e30 yeah? Definitely get in contact with that owner!

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    i assume you're referring to this specific project?
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/27744/...re-of-hot-rods
    very similar setup
    question is, is the e30 similar enough to the e24 that what he learned can be ported over?
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    i assume you're referring to this specific project?
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/27744/...re-of-hot-rods
    very similar setup
    question is, is the e30 similar enough to the e24 that what he learned can be ported over?
    The E30 is a bit newer, but is the same school of design. People have put some monster turbos in E24's and they've handled it fine.

The engine bay is pretty generous - I've seen V12s stuck in there. I don't have a scale for you, other than to say it is definitely bigger than the E30.

My concerns would be (A) weight distribution and (B) airflow/heat dissipation. Well - those aren't my only concerns, but the biggest unknowns...

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Someone on the E9 forum doing the same, he is fairly along in his task I believe.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    The E30 is a bit newer, but is the same school of design. People have put some monster turbos in E24's and they've handled it fine.

The engine bay is pretty generous - I've seen V12s stuck in there. I don't have a scale for you, other than to say it is definitely bigger than the E30.

My concerns would be (A) weight distribution and (B) airflow/heat dissipation. Well - those aren't my only concerns, but the biggest unknowns...
    big bay is good
    handling power in the case of EVs doesn't port over too well conceptually, the only thing still shared would be the half shafts but even those would need to be heavily altered to go from the tesla gear reduction output to the wheels, instead of from a diff. Unlike in a gas car where there's a lot of downstream weak points

weight distribution will be hard. i may not be able to do 50/50 but maybe 55/45. Also i'll have to avoid the dumbbell effect, where all the weight is at the very front and rear which makes for some weird and dangerous control behaviors during turns.

heat isn't that big of a deal, all the components are liquid cooled, and that e30 guy is only using an intercooler for the batteries, motor, and charger, that's more than enough cooling for all three.

GN92489