Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP! I want to revive this beast!

My Cars
    84 733i

PLEASE HELP! I want to revive this beast!

BMW 1984-733i wont Start

Hello all,

I just bought the Mafia 733I 5 speed driving machine. I took a bit of a gamble when I bought it but for $750 for a car that was regularly maintained at my local BMW auto shop. When I got the car the battery was dead and it would not start according to the seller, so I was hoping there wasn't too much going on with it. after getting the car fired up, I noticed a handful of items wrong with it that I need HELP figuring out.

1. My main dilemma is that I cant start the car with the key. I changed out the key tumbler because it was a little bit sticky and didn't feel right, unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. Next, I added a new main relay the one that is on the firewall between the engine and the interior of the car, nothing. Then finally I came across the post from other regarding the jumping of the car with the pin 11 and 14 trick and boom it started right up. So this is the part where I am confused, if it starts when I bypass everything else does that mean that the starter is good? i do hear the solenoid kick on when I engage the key. any change this sounds like an ignition switch problem????

2. Unfortunately the dash does not work either. All of the warning light indicators seem to be working and the fuel level gauge also seems to be OK, as it his gone down slightly as I have ran the car a bit here and there with testing. I have seen in other posts that this could be that connector in the dash. I opened it all up and it looked like the unit had gotten and bunch of mold in it causing the issue so i think some things got fried. Does anyone know If I were to buy another cluster would the unit allow me to swap out the mileage with my original one?I know it comes out but would it be compatible with mine?

3. So my driver seat does not work at all. I tried swapping out the switch for the passenger switch (works) and it still did nothing.any ideas how that seat makes zero movements with any of the buttons? also while all of the buttons on my passenger seat work, the seat is stuck in the all the way up position (not very comfortable) lol. any ideas why it wont go back!!!!

Thank you all in advance on any input you have, I want to get this bad boy running!!!

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    souns like you described the bad ignition switch issue, no start, but I think you are hearing relays not the solenoid when you turn the key. That would need some investigation before I dove in with a new switch, I think.

The dash is a dozens of components, what doesn't work? Lights, gauges, HVAC, radio or whatever? Most gauge clusters are swappable, correct years of manufacture, early vs. late would be part of the choice. Individual gauges are swappable, too so if your gears are bad in the odomter and the speedo works new gears, odometergears.com and use your speedo in the new cluster.

Driver seat may have all the grease turned to glue. Seat might only work when really warm outside, melting some of that glue. Would need a good cleaning and regreasing of the drive slaves.

My Cars
    84 733i

Thumbs up

So I checked the ignition switch and that seems to be the problem! i popped it out and it was cracked, but when i forced it over with a Flathead the engine kicked for a split second so that has to be it!!

On the dash the only thing, in terms of gauges that works is the gas level gauge. So MPH, RPMs, Service interval light indicator, temperature, all do not work. The warning lights do seem to be working though (Brake liner, Triangle warning light, battery, etc.) I opened up the gauges and I see a lot of corrosion on a lot of stuff. the board looks like either it got wet or some how it got a lot of moisture in there. the batteries for the service interval indicator also look bad and look like they made have corroded a bit on that band connector thing. <<does this control all of the gauges?

for the seat the driver side doesn't do anything. I don't even here a clicking or anything coming from there. the passenger side is the side where everything moves except the forward and backwards. are there separate fuses for the two seats or are they on one circuit?

Thanks again for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    souns like you described the bad ignition switch issue, no start, but I think you are hearing relays not the solenoid when you turn the key. That would need some investigation before I dove in with a new switch, I think.

The dash is a dozens of components, what doesn't work? Lights, gauges, HVAC, radio or whatever? Most gauge clusters are swappable, correct years of manufacture, early vs. late would be part of the choice. Individual gauges are swappable, too so if your gears are bad in the odomter and the speedo works new gears, odometergears.com and use your speedo in the new cluster.

Driver seat may have all the grease turned to glue. Seat might only work when really warm outside, melting some of that glue. Would need a good cleaning and regreasing of the drive slaves.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    get your etm and om from www.e38.org/e23 and maybe you can see if the seat switches are sending power to the seat.

Although the SII batteries don't control the gauges, once they are corroded and the corrosive gets places it shouldn't, it may take out other gauges. A new conductor plate is in order. That is the large circuit board of the gauge cluster but a replacement cluster might fix the issues.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    If you're looking for a completely re manufactured cluster or circuit board, or to just send yours off to be re manufactured, you might want to try https://www.programainc.com/default.aspx
    I've used them for a few things over the years for my E23 and now E32. Just got a SWORD from them for a great price.
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    84 733i
    Which service did you use? I see that they redo your board if you want. Does that mean they would fix everything that is wrong with it fir the process they have listed? What was your experience for turnaround time?

Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    If you're looking for a completely re manufactured cluster or circuit board, or to just send yours off to be re manufactured, you might want to try https://www.programainc.com/default.aspx
    I've used them for a few things over the years for my E23 and now E32. Just got a SWORD from them for a great price.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by GRKBMR733i View Post
    Which service did you use? I see that they redo your board if you want. Does that mean they would fix everything that is wrong with it fir the process they have listed? What was your experience for turnaround time?
    Back in 1983 I bought a 733I 5 speed from Lauderdale Imports. It was a great car.
    After the warranty ran out all sorts of things began to fail. My first experience with them was the Battery and Circuit Board for it. My inspection lights were going wild and other things that I just can't remember now. Vista BMW wanted about 900 dollars to remove and replace. One of the mechanics told me to head over to Programa. Luckily for me they are about fifteen minutes from my home in South Florida. I never knew they existed. Guy came out, removed my cluster and in two hours I was on my way. That was the day I learned about turning the steering wheel about a quarter turn to the left to help remove the cluster. Things you never forget. My next problem was the climate control wheels. The fan motor wheel broke and every time I turned it off, if I forgot the break in the plastic it would go a half click past off. The fan motor would continuously run on low speed and unless I removed the two wheels and fiddled with a screwdriver I could not turn the fan back on. In Florida that's tough driving with no A/C. I got tired of it and bought a new set of wheels and the install was five minutes. A year before I sold the car in 1989, my cluster was doing dances. There are a lot of people on this and the E32 boards who can tell you how to change the capacitors and bring things back to new. I'm just not that talented. I gave them my cluster and swapped it for a re manufactured one they had on the shelf. They sent the new one out to a place called Lauderdale Speedometer to have the millage adjusted to what mine was when I gave it to them as a core. I guess you need some sort of a license to do that. When I put it back everything worked as new. Recently I replaced the fan motor on my 1990 E32. I was able to find a BEHR unit and while doing this, since my evaporator and expansion valve were being done at the same time, at 180000 miles it was time to replace the final resister (SWORD). They had my E32 SWORD on sale for 117 dollars at the time. I saved about thirty dollars, so I had that replaced as well, since my mechanic was already there doing the evaporator. I've never had anything but good luck with them. I know the company changed hands about ten years ago, but I've never heard any complaints about them. A phone call can't hurt. Good luck.
    Jeff
    Last edited by CroughtonE32; 06-13-2019 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    87 535i/84 €735i/8
    Are you in Orangevale/Sacramento area?
    I'm in Natomas, and have a euro 735.
    For the cluster, instead of Programma (which has an extremely spotty reputation) give Ivo Christov a try https://www.e28.nl/en , a good guy who makes new SI boards that tend to fix a lot of the cluster issues people have.
    Cheers
    --Jay3->Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
    84 €735i manual, 88 528e/i
    Motronic 1 and 1.3 wiring
    Transmission & Diff gearing sheet

My Cars
    84 733i
    Yup, I'm in sac area. Thanks for the info! Its always good to get a local guy that can work on the clusters or other electronic stuff with these cars. I'll have to give him a call. I opened up my cluster and its a complete mess. the whole board is fried so at this point i think my best bet would be to get another one from recyclesrs and throw that in. I called one place and they only wanted $125, so maybe get that and open it up to make sure its all good. I see a lot of the new si boards have no battery so maybe i can swap it out for that anyways to protect myself for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay535is View Post
    Are you in Orangevale/Sacramento area?
    I'm in Natomas, and have a euro 735.
    For the cluster, instead of Programma (which has an extremely spotty reputation) give Ivo Christov a try https://www.e28.nl/en , a good guy who makes new SI boards that tend to fix a lot of the cluster issues people have.
    Cheers

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I have had to rebuild more Programma shit than I can remember, they are awful now. You may as well spend that money on beer. Dead serious.

They repair the bare minimum and send the unit out the door. BTDT.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    84 733i
    Thats starting to sound pretty consistent about Programma. I think I'm just going to get one that is in working condition, maybe maintain a couple parts and go upon my way. I wish i could repair my board but the whole thing is toast. i don't know if anyone know, but I'm noticing a lot of these units have some time of mold or something in them. anyone know what this is from ? it seems like most, if not all of the ones iv'e seen have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    I have had to rebuild more Programma shit than I can remember, they are awful now. You may as well spend that money on beer. Dead serious.

They repair the bare minimum and send the unit out the door. BTDT.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    All the clusters that I've had also have a weird spotty discoloration around the gauges. Not sure if it's mold or corrosion but it is common.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

PLEASE HELP! I want to revive this beast!

Thats starting to sound pretty consistent about Programma. I think I'm just going to get one that is in working condition, maybe maintain a couple parts and go upon my way. I wish i could repair my board but the whole thing is toast. i don't know if anyone know, but I'm noticing a lot of these units have some time of mold or something in them. anyone know what this is from ? it seems like most, if not all of the ones iv'e seen have that.
    I think I would try to get my hands on a working one, but better to get one that’s refurbed and everything is working. One the batteries leak there’s no telling what may be toast, in addition to the everyday crap.

I bought a working Euro some time ago. The batteries are dead but not leaked yet. I happen to have a battery less board that I can use, and the Odo gears. While I am in there i want to up the lights from 3 to 5w so I can see the cluster and change the other lights at the same time; hopefully all with LED to keep the heat down. I am not certain about that yet as light direction could be an issue. Then, do all the gauges work, etc..

My point is there are several little things in there to consider so without having a bunch of parts on hand to pull from, a rebuilt one that all of that has been addressed is going to save you some pain. The seller mentioned above is a good one, as is Bavarian Restorations, and I am sure there are others.

Also you are over 10 posts now I think you can post post pics now. The more you post the more the experts chiming in will be able to help. (I’m not one really) Keep plugging away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by espoe; 06-14-2019 at 07:15 PM.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I do have a new Ivo Christov battery-less SI board if you end up deciding to re-board your cluster
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 06-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Dave at Euro Electric in Tennessee used to sell a completely new board for $100, I have one in my 10/84 car and another I built. Beautiful boards, check to see if he still does that stuff. Ivo's is nice. I also have a new Programma SI board without batteries here, nice unit shockingly. They are $180ish on ebay still for the Programma board.

BMW's mid to late 90's boards with a green PCB are much better than the breadboard brown colored ones in our cars originally, I think the early had NiCd batteries. The later ones had Li batteries, easy to rebuild with five transistors and three caps. Nothing to it. I just delete the batteries and leave the stupid SI lights unplugged, as long as my gauges work I am a happy camper.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Dave at Euro Electric in Tennessee used to sell a completely new board for $100, I have one in my 10/84 car and another I built. Beautiful boards, check to see if he still does that stuff. Ivo's is nice. I also have a new Programma SI board without batteries here, nice unit shockingly. They are $180ish on ebay still for the Programma board.

BMW's mid to late 90's boards with a green PCB are much better than the breadboard brown colored ones in our cars originally, I think the early had NiCd batteries. The later ones had Li batteries, easy to rebuild with five transistors and three caps. Nothing to it. I just delete the batteries and leave the stupid SI lights unplugged, as long as my gauges work I am a happy camper.
    Well...........I guess I owe the entire E23 board an apology for even bringing up the name Programa. I had no idea that the company had fallen apart as so many of you have said. If you read my post you'll see that my experience with them dates back to the late 80's when my E23 was out of warranty. Also I would have never heard of them back in those days if not for Vista BMW. My experience with them was all positive. I had heard about 10 years ago from a close friend who retired from Vista after 33 years of mechanic work there. But I had no idea they went down hill. I guess I'm lucky that the SWORD I purchased from them last year is working fine. You'll never hear me mention them again on the boards here. Was just typing my own experience with them. Had no idea I would hit such a nerve.
    Jeff

My Cars
    84 733i
    If you can, PM what your price is on that. So I know what my option are. Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BONDOSPECIAL View Post
    I do have a new Ivo Christov battery-less SI board if you end up deciding to re-board your cluster
    I was replying to you Bondospecial for your ivo board

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    Well...........I guess I owe the entire E23 board an apology for even bringing up the name Programa. I had no idea that the company had fallen apart as so many of you have said. If you read my post you'll see that my experience with them dates back to the late 80's when my E23 was out of warranty. Also I would have never heard of them back in those days if not for Vista BMW. My experience with them was all positive. I had heard about 10 years ago from a close friend who retired from Vista after 33 years of mechanic work there. But I had no idea they went down hill. I guess I'm lucky that the SWORD I purchased from them last year is working fine. You'll never hear me mention them again on the boards here. Was just typing my own experience with them. Had no idea I would hit such a nerve.
    Jeff
    It's all good. You had their service a long time ago. Things change with businesses over the course of that many years. It's a bummer that they went down hill, since it seems like they really do have a lot of people needing their services.

My Cars
    84 733i
    so I bought a cluster from a e28 535i at my local recyclers and was told it would work, which come to find out it does not. For a very split second I thought it was good until I realized that the speedometer and RPM gauge did not work put TEMP, Gas, and service light indicator worked perfectly. I am assuming that this cluster is not compatible correct? kind of a bummer since this is one of the last things I need to do to get this thing on the road for now. :\

My Cars
    84 733i
    this is what the back of the one I got looks like, i see a couple more places for connectors...any one know if these do work on our 733is?

$_3.jpg

compared to..

s-l1600.jpg

My Cars
    84 733i
    Well ended up returning it. I need to find a cluster in working condition. mine is completely toast; all the boards got fried and the gauges smell like burnt toast.

at this point my only option is to buy something in working condition (which seems impossible) or buying something that is repairable. ughhh.

this is what the back of the one I got looks like, i see a couple more places for connectors...any one know if these do work on our 733is?

$_3.jpg

compared to..

s-l1600.jpg

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Maybe post a wanted ad on mye28.com. Lot of e23 guys over there and their classified section is active. I sold a cluster for 50 bucks some months ago because no one else wanted it. The buyer was going to cannibalize it for parts.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    84 733i
    alright cool, I'll give that a go and test my luck there. I don't see a lot of action in the classified section here. Thanks for the heads up

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Euro or US cluster? I have some. PM me.

My Cars
    84 733i
    Hey Hit Man, I just PMd you

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    If you’re talking about the small plugs they’re for the cruise, O2, and automatic radio volume control providing your car is equipped with them. You will want to take note of that plastic plug on the rear, on the left side of cluster. It has 2 colors on the tabs. You want to keep that one or make sure your replacement has the same one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast