Thread: croak/rattle from left hand side when ignition switched on, before start

My Cars
    2001 325i SE

croak/rattle from left hand side when ignition switched on, before start

E46 325i.

I thought this was an exhaust problem but it happens before the car even starts up!
    On the first start of the day and before I go home from work, there is a croaky rattle from the left hand side at about the midpoint of the car as soon as I put the ignition to position 2. It persists for a minute or two after starting and then goes away.

Anybody have any ideas what it could be, now that the exhaust has been ruled out?
    Last edited by MarkApp; 06-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.

My Cars
    2007 328i E92
    When you turn the key on from a cold-start, the fuel pump starts up, which pressurizes the fuel in the lines and in the filter. The fuel filter is underneath the car, on the left side, somewhere in the area next to your transmission and against the frame rail. I would say that the fuel system being pressurized is buzzing something that's loose with your fuel filter or filter cover. This makes sense because the fuel system may be dropping pressure in the lines/filter from sitting awhile and then turning the key on begins the pressurizing function - but only after sitting awhile. Check your fuel filter and cover.

My Cars
    2001 325i SE
    Quote Originally Posted by filmy View Post
    When you turn the key on from a cold-start, the fuel pump starts up, which pressurizes the fuel in the lines and in the filter. The fuel filter is underneath the car, on the left side, somewhere in the area next to your transmission and against the frame rail. I would say that the fuel system being pressurized is buzzing something that's loose with your fuel filter or filter cover. This makes sense because the fuel system may be dropping pressure in the lines/filter from sitting awhile and then turning the key on begins the pressurizing function - but only after sitting awhile. Check your fuel filter and cover.
    Nice one - I was leaning toward the fuel pump as it's the only thing running before startup!