Thread: BMW 1984-733i wont Start

My Cars
    84 733i

BMW 1984-733i wont Start

Hello all,

I just bought the Mafia 733I 5 speed driving machine. I took a bet of a gamble when I bought it but for $750 for a car that was regularly maintained at my local BMW auto shop, it was a gamble I risked taking. When I got the car the battery was dead and it would not start according to the seller, so I was hoping there wasn't too much going on with it. after getting the car fired up, I noticed a handful of items wrong with it that I need HELP figuring out.

1. My main dilemma is that I cant start the car with the key. I changed out the key tumbler because it was a little bit sticky and didn't feel right, unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. Next, I added a new main relay the one that is on the firewall between the engine and the interior of the car, nothing. Then finally I came across the post from other regarding the jumping of the car with the pin 11 and 14 trick and boom it started right up. So this is the part where I am confused, if it starts when I bypass everything else does that mean that the starter is good? i do hear the solenoid kick on when I engage the key. any change this sounds like an ignition switch problem????

2. Unfortunately the dash does not work either. All of the warning light indicators seem to be working and the fuel level gauge also seems to be OK, as it his gone down slightly as I have ran the car a bit here and there with testing. I have seen in other posts that this could be that connector in the dash. I opened it all up and it looked like the unit had gotten and bunch of mold in it causing the issue so i think some things got fried. Does anyone know If I were to buy another cluster would the unit allow me to swap out the mileage with my original one?I know it comes out but would it be compatible with mine?

3. So my driver seat does not work at all. I tried swapping out the switch for the passenger switch (works) and it still did nothing.any ideas how that seat makes zero movements with any of the buttons? also while all of the buttons on my passenger seat work, the seat is stuck in the all the way up position (not very comfortable) lol. any ideas why it wont go back!!!!

Thank you all in advance on any input you have, I want to get this bad boy running!!!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The starter appears to be fine as it started the engine when you jumped some pins. In what part are those jumped pins?

The dash’s connectors would be the first thing I’d check. They’ve been connected for almost 35 years. Pull them and then clean them with a good electrical contact cleaner. Check the fuses as I bet they are corroded. Fuses in that era may be the old ceramic and metal type that corrode over time. If they are the more modern type of fuse, I’d pull the fuses that feed power to the cluster, clean the fuse panel’s sockets with some 400 grit emery cloth and then clean them with contact cleaner. Then check the fuses with an ohm meter, clean the blades with the emery cloth and follow with the contact cleaner. Another thing is if the car was stored the wiring may have been chewed by rodents. It happens.

The seat problem could be another fuse issue. Find the fuse or fuses for the seat and perform the cleaning process describe above.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 06-13-2019 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    84 733i
    Thank you so much I'll need to do the cleaning. I got the ignition switch pulled out yesterday and that sucker was toast. Have one ordered and on the way! Can't wait to get this guy on the road.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’re welcome.