Thread: Mystery connector - where should this go?

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.

Mystery connector - where should this go?

Hi there. Per some of the other threads I've been working on getting a 98 740iL back up and running after it has been sitting. In the process of getting it running it has become very clear that someone spent a fair amount of time working on this car, and their strength was not putting things back the way it should be.

I picked up a full manual and in looking at this it appears i have the 4.4l vanos schematics - this is pre-facelift. if anyone has the pre-facelift PDF manual i would happily trade!

Mystery connector:
    • located on the passenger side electrical box on the same set of cables that go to the ICV, thermostat, TPS (1&2)
    • two pin connector
    • wire colors red/white and blue/yellow
    • currently connected car: MAF, Airbox, 2x on cooling line, ICV, main TPS, ASC TPS

Looking at the 4.4 post facilift with vanos schematic (note this car is pre-facilift so no vanos) it could be the secondary air injection pump valve. I'm not familiar with that - where could I find it (or find it missing!)

pictures attached!e38 mystery 1.JPGe38 mystery 2.jpge38 mystery 3.jpg

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pascal32 View Post
    Hi there. Per some of the other threads I've been working on getting a 98 740iL back up and running after it has been sitting. In the process of getting it running it has become very clear that someone spent a fair amount of time working on this car, and their strength was not putting things back the way it should be.

I picked up a full manual and in looking at this it appears i have the 4.4l vanos schematics - this is pre-facelift. if anyone has the pre-facelift PDF manual i would happily trade!

Mystery connector:
    • located on the passenger side electrical box on the same set of cables that go to the ICV, thermostat, TPS (1&2)
    • two pin connector
    • wire colors red/white and blue/yellow
    • currently connected car: MAF, Airbox, 2x on cooling line, ICV, main TPS, ASC TPS

Looking at the 4.4 post facilift with vanos schematic (note this car is pre-facilift so no vanos) it could be the secondary air injection pump valve. I'm not familiar with that - where could I find it (or find it missing!)

pictures attached!e38 mystery 1.JPGe38 mystery 2.jpge38 mystery 3.jpg
    I'm pretty sure that's your thermostat /water pump wire that connects into the top of the thermostat housing. Look down below the throttle body and you should see the water pump
    It should be obvious from there. It's a little plastic male connector that comes verdical of the water pump/thermostat housing. Look up pics of m62 water pump or thermostat, and you'll figure it out real quick on where that plugs in at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    In this picture if you look right under the throttle body is the water pump. It's silver medal colored. Now look closely and you'll see the connector your talking about, plugged into the water pump on the left side (passanger side).

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    thank you. There is a two pin connector already attached on both sides of the water pump - now in no way does that say there correct one is plugged in!

Wire connected to passenger side of the water pump is Red/Blue an something/white - picture attached

- - - Updated - - -

forgive the oil - I just replaced the valve cover gaskets and have't cleaned up the old oil yet

IMG_1126.jpg
    Last edited by pascal32; 06-12-2019 at 07:34 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pascal32 View Post
    thank you. There is a two pin connector already attached on both sides of the water pump - now in no way does that say there correct one is plugged in!

Wire connected to passenger side of the water pump is Red/Blue an something/white - picture attached

- - - Updated - - -

forgive the oil - I just replaced the valve cover gaskets and have't cleaned up the old oil yet

IMG_1126.jpg
    Ok did you say your car was vanos? If so look at your vanos solinoids that are 8n the timing chain cover. They each get a 2 pin connector. The vanos wire on my car has white red blue colors. I think you have your vanos wire plugged into your thermostat and your thermostat wire to nothing

Sorry my pictures are not the best I just ran outside and took. Quick pics since I'm getting ready for work still.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    And no worries about messy engine bay
    I just did my valve cover job too so messy messy engine.... I just can't get mine to start sadly still after 3 months

If you need me to I can edit the pictures to make it more clear to what I'm talking about

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    Thank you kindly- this is the NON Vanos version. Unfortunately my shop manual is the Vanos version which is making finding what this is harder

do the pre-facelift have a secondary air pump and valve? I couldn’t figure it out googling

thanks!

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    My pre-facelift car has an extra connector sitting there. Goes to nothing. This is probably what you're dealing with. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now I can't guarantee you one of them is not switched, but the two wire connector I believe is the one that is just hanging there. Comes off that passenger side ignition box.
    Last edited by racer2086; 06-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    My pre-facelift car has an extra connector sitting there. Goes to nothing. This is probably what you're dealing with. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now I can't guarantee you one of them is not switched, but the two wire connector I believe is the one that is just hanging there. Comes off that passenger side ignition box.
    that is good information. It’s the two wire from the passenger ignition box.

Any chance you could check the wire colors on the passenger and driver side cooling system plugs along with the main throttle body tps? I’m fairly sure everything that’s plugged in is is right, just making sure!

much appreciated!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    What racer said. It's an extra plug.

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    Awesome, thank you

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Can confirm, spare plug. On my 95 it's a light grey colour. I just put a white zip tie around the base of the plug so I would always know it was the odd one out. Many people accidentally plug it into their idle control valve and have stalling and rough running / no idle.