Thread: Pinstripes help

My Cars
    1988 735i

Pinstripes help

Recently, I decided to take a stab at repairing some rust spots on my car. However, this car has spent most of the last two decades in the desert, so it shouldn't really have any rust. I learned that this was an indication of shoddy repairs. Note the cracked paint under the body line. Turns out that nearly the entire front half of my fender was bondo'd over about a quarter-inch thick. So I stripped it down and found some old welds and a large number of small dents that I am currently in the process of filling properly. Once I am done filling, I will need to do another few coats of primer. What I don't know is what to do next. The car came from the factory with pinstripes that I'd like to copy, but I'm not sure how to do that. Do I first color coat it, mask off the paint around where I want to stripe and then spray a new coat? Or do I do a strip of color coat, mask the parts that will be the pinstripes, and then continue with the respray?

Thank you.
    IMG_20190607_161742.jpgIMG_20190608_133855.jpgIMG_20190607_163610.jpg

My Cars
    '77 turbo 320i, '07 Subi
    I recommend You Tube

My Cars
    94 740iL
    I'm guessing from your questioning that you will not be pinstriping via a brush. The best route to go would be lay your base coat down, followed by an intercoat. The intercoat will allow you to tape on it and spray your desired pinstripe color. It also let's you make a mistake and wipe it off without wiping off the base coat. Like eseeling said YouTube is your friend on this one. There are a million how to videos for this. If your car was striped and it wasnt from the factory typically for our era cars a mobile guy would visit the dealers and hand stripe them on top of the clear. That is also an option for you. Once it's all said and done you can tape off the stripes starting from the existing stripe area and lay in the new set. If you're gonna go above the clear just make sure to use a hardener in the pinstripe paint. Most companies make a hardener for their pinstripe paints. Or you can just use a touch of the hardener that came with the clear coat you used.