RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Where is the best place to find parts online?

My Cars
    2001 325Ci

Where is the best place to find parts online?

As the title says, I'm looking for the most cost effective website to buy parts from. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic
    rockauto.com
    no one else is even close.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    depends what you are looking for:

for actual BMW OE parts:
    places like https://www.baronbmwparts.com/ or https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/

for BMW OEM and aftermarket parts:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com
    https://www.rmeuropean.com
    https://www.pelicanparts.com

i've bought some commodity items from rockauto (things like wiper blades and such), but, i'd rather have the actual BMW parts.
    sensors and electrical items i always use BMW OE with one exception - i've had great luck over the years with Bosch O2 sensors (the exact fit line, i think its called). Starters and Alternators i've done well with the OEM as long as its a true OEM part - and that's hard to distinguish. That is one area where i've sometimes been able to use Rockauto - for example, buying a Bosch starter for an e46. I can get the Bosch Pro Reman or New for a bit less at someplace like Rockauto. But, that takes some diligence and research. Actually, I've found some of the best deals on those types of parts on Amazon, of all places - namely because I've been able to buy without a core charge.
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 06-11-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2002 330i sport, 325i w
    Thanks

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    depends what you are looking for:

for actual BMW OE parts:
    places like https://www.baronbmwparts.com/ or https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/

for BMW OEM and aftermarket parts:
    https://www.fcpeuro.com
    https://www.rmeuropean.com
    https://www.pelicanparts.com

i've bought some commodity items from rockauto (things like wiper blades and such), but, i'd rather have the actual BMW parts.
    sensors and electrical items i always use BMW OE with one exception - i've had great luck over the years with Bosch O2 sensors (the exact fit line, i think its called). Starters and Alternators i've done well with the OEM as long as its a true OEM part - and that's hard to distinguish. That is one area where i've sometimes been able to use Rockauto - for example, buying a Bosch starter for an e46. I can get the Bosch Pro Reman or New for a bit less at someplace like Rockauto. But, that takes some diligence and research. Actually, I've found some of the best deals on those types of parts on Amazon, of all places - namely because I've been able to buy without a core charge.
    another thought - i spent a lot of time for awhile tracking and researching parts pricing - there was even a great app i donated to that made it easier, but, it appears to no longer work.
    anyway, eventually what i found myself doing was buying most of the time from places i knew would be there and would help me if i had a problem with the order, the part, etc. so, in the end i've ended up buying most parts from a bmw dealer, fcp euro, or a few others like turner, bimmerworld, etc. that's just been my experience.
    i've done some selective buying on rockauto and its been fine, but, i just prefer the others.......

lots of choices out there, so, do your homework. know the difference between OE, OEM, and Aftermarket. Price doesn't always mean the part is better, or worse - but, at least for me, i want the right part the first time.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    A poster names SilberVogel has created a PC app that provides the price of a part number from a wide range of sources including dealers, vendors and others. It’s called BMW PNPC v3.1.0. Try www.bmwpnpc.com.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    That’s the app I was speaking of - last time I tried it wasn’t pulling pricing from many sites anymore. I suspect this is because their search parameters/url have changed and the app hasn’t been updated. I really liked it when it worked.

For real bmw oe parts - the two dealers I listed were routinely the best deal on a wide variety of parts.
    Parts pricing changes all the time and fluctuates so be warned.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    www.getbmwparts.com is another great one. It's BMW of Silver Spring.

They've even shipped large crates for me, with free shipping.

Also
    https://www.bmwoffairfax.com/order-parts-online.htm
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Thanks for all the input guys. I'm fixing up my E46 325ci, as far as the mechanical goes (engine and trans) its pretty sound. However its an R title (recovered from being stolen) so locks are picked out and its missing odd end things or they're just broken so I'll be frequenting this forum quite a lot.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin325i View Post
    rockauto.com
    no one else is even close.
    They have low prices on a lot of things but watch the brands as they carry all the crappy stuff and the price is tempting.
    If there is a mistake in their catalog (I've had this twice) heaven help you.
    There is NO way to speak to anyone and their "customer service" e-mail will always respond with something to effect of NO, we are right you are wrong, F off.
    They will NOT communicate beyond telling you to sod off twice.
    Want your money back? You'll need to put in a beef with your credit card company.
    There are much better sources that appreciate your business and will even stoop to speaking with a paying customer.
    Rock Auto can SMD

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic

more...

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    They have low prices on a lot of things but watch the brands as they carry all the crappy stuff and the price is tempting.
    If there is a mistake in their catalog (I've had this twice) heaven help you.
    There is NO way to speak to anyone and their "customer service" e-mail will always respond with something to effect of NO, we are right you are wrong, F off.
    They will NOT communicate beyond telling you to sod off twice.
    Want your money back? You'll need to put in a beef with your credit card company.
    There are much better sources that appreciate your business and will even stoop to speaking with a paying customer.
    Rock Auto can SMD
    thanks for heads up.
    my comment could have been longer- as i was referring to price only within each quality category.
    have not had the misfortune you discuss. have had more than dozen orders. anyhow, as far as quality they offer up to 3 quality categories.
    last week ordered hella behr radiator for $123. no one should order the lowest quality parts and also should know best oem suppliers for bmw.
    depending on part i might order oe bmw at times but do not remember if they offer bmw .

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I find myself "in the same barrel" as GoodApollo above. Recently got back into the BMW world with a '95 M3 coupe, and I'm in need of some quality parts, in a reasonable period of time, and for a fair price. Too much to ask? I just placed an order with ECS Tuning, only to find a whole bunch of highly critical comments posted by former customers a bit further down my Google search. Sounds like ECS has acquired Turner Motorsports, Pelican Parts, and now Bavarian Auto? No wonder they may be going through some growing pains! Don't know if I should just immediately cancel my order and try someone else.

I did hear a positive plug for GetBMWParts today, but that was a single opinion. I did find their website harder to use, due to the lack of pics of parts. If you know the actual part number, it goes a lot faster. Also, it looked like shipping would take longer, and be more expensive. ECS/Turner (same company now??) offers free shipping on any decent sized order. If anyone has had solid experiences with ANYONE out there, please share with the rest of us.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Wadds, definitely go the FCPEuro route. The vendor has great customer service, too. You can’t beat the lifetime warranty on everything, including oil (!!), it sells.

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic

btw ...about rockauto

thanks for heads up.
    my comment could have been longer- as i was referring to price only within each quality category.
    have not had the misfortune you discuss. have had more than dozen orders. anyhow, as far as quality they offer up to 3 quality categories.
    last week ordered hella behr radiator for $123. no one should order the lowest quality parts and also should know best oem suppliers for bmw.
    depending on part i might order oe bmw at times but do not remember if they offer bmw .
    followup, recently checked. rockauto does have oe bmw parts; waterpump, thermostat and housing. likely because these are common fails and most genuine is desired. noticed they have stewart radiator as i read some want this brand.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i'm not sure i agree - an OE part is an Original Equipment part same as the factory used with a BMW logo and (typically) in a white BMW box.

i just looked for some parts from an e46 and did not find any OE parts. post a link to actual OE BMW parts on rock auto - i haven't found any......closest i've found was OEM in some instances....

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic
    i'm not sure i agree - an OE part is an Original Equipment part same as the factory used with a BMW logo and (typically) in a white BMW box.

i just looked for some parts from an e46 and did not find any OE parts. post a link to actual OE BMW parts on rock auto - i haven't found any......closest i've found was OEM in some instances....
    just checked before my post , but mine in a '94 e36 and has 3 parts i mentioned. perhaps e36 demands more oe bmw parts than e46.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Post a link.

My Cars
    '94 325i,'08 civic
    Post a link.
    you are not helpless. you go there. have a good day.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i would like to see exactly what you are talking about - as, i've looked through the parts catalog fairly extensively and have not found any OE BMW parts. i've found some OEM, but not OE.
    you are marking the assertion they exist - i was simply asking for an example so I could improve my searching.

no need to be a jerk about it - but, if that's how you need to be, then rock on......

seeing as how this is a thread where folks are asking about ordering parts, i thought you might educate us on this aspect....but, i suppose i was wrong....

so, thanks....i guess.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    you are not helpless. you go there. have a good day.
    WTF, man?
    RA doesn't carry OE BMW parts. They may carry some of the OE brands, Bosch etc. but not Original Equipment BMW parts. One day you'll know the difference.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by waddsM3 View Post
    I find myself "in the same barrel" as GoodApollo above. Recently got back into the BMW world with a '95 M3 coupe, and I'm in need of some quality parts, in a reasonable period of time, and for a fair price. Too much to ask? I just placed an order with ECS Tuning, only to find a whole bunch of highly critical comments posted by former customers a bit further down my Google search. Sounds like ECS has acquired Turner Motorsports, Pelican Parts, and now Bavarian Auto? No wonder they may be going through some growing pains! Don't know if I should just immediately cancel my order and try someone else.

I did hear a positive plug for GetBMWParts today, but that was a single opinion. I did find their website harder to use, due to the lack of pics of parts. If you know the actual part number, it goes a lot faster. Also, it looked like shipping would take longer, and be more expensive. ECS/Turner (same company now??) offers free shipping on any decent sized order. If anyone has had solid experiences with ANYONE out there, please share with the rest of us.
    I had good experiences with getbmw parts in the past. they were/are an authorized BMW dealership with an internet parts business.
    I'm not sure if this is the same business I dealt with years ago as THAT dealership quit the internet parts business. It is currently BMW of Silver Spring which rings a bell, seems they have reconsidered the internet parts business.
    FCP Euro is a good house and mostly offers the better brands and OE.
    Your local dealer shouldn't be overlooked.
    Last edited by ross1; 06-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.