Thread: Insulate ! It's cheap and easy.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

Insulate ! It's cheap and easy.

I am so pleased I had to share this. I saw a youtube video on using Waterproof tape to insulate cars. It's far cheaper than Dyanmat and available at Home Depot, as "U-Seal" or "Proforce". I had already put that aluminized-cloth insulation in the doors and conv top area, and I made a headliner for the top, so I had some noise reduction. I put the Waterproof tape only in the conv top bay, and it made a huge, let me say HUGE, difference in road noise. I can run my stereo at a lower volume now, and hear it more clearly, at highway speeds. It's easy to do. Nothing to remove except that formed cardboard thing. It's thin enough that it doesn't matter to the folded top. Even though my doors are quieter than stock with the cloth insulation, I'll probably use this stuff there too. I hope to one day get my M quieter than a Lexus sedan. (Okay, maybe not, but even though we know these cars are noisy, and we all accept that, why suffer more than we need to? )

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9L
    I’m interested.

Any pictures of the install ?

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Agree. Pictures please.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I didn't think of pics, and the cover is back in place. Sorry, that was dumb of me, there are (not Z3) videos on youtube. All you do is cut pieces and lay them where you want them. Nothing exact here. Overlap is okay. After a couple of pieces, it becomes easy to do. Just cover the entire surface. Some technique thoughts; I started with the top rim. There's a nice lip there which will protect the top of the insulation in the future. I suggest using pieces no longer than about 8-10" because it's flimsy and sticks to everything.... a razor knife cuts it easily... I usually would just peel the backing off partially along one side, stick it on, and then remove backing as I laid it down.... It's gooey, so it will form to the car, within reason.... In case some of what I say doesn't makes sense, I'll say that it will become clear as you start the job. One roll, about $17, will do the entire bay.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    How heavy is this stuff?
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    How heavy is this stuff?
    This stuff is only about .050 - .060 thick. (I think they have some that is over .100) I have tossed the packaging, but I'd guess that a roll, 6" x 25', weighs 5 - 7 lbs. That's how much I put in the conv top bay. Iv'e got another roll I'll probably use in the doors. So, 10 lbs total. If I'm worried about 10 lbs, I should just eat less. Now, if you did a whole car, seats out etc., I could see putting 20 - 30 lbs into it. Still not bad. Now that car would be quiet!
    Last edited by zellamay; 06-11-2019 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    This seems like an attractive idea, but since this stuff is made of tar (bitumen) is it going to be putting out noxious fumes in a hot car interior?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Yes, that's the stuff.........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    This seems like an attractive idea, but since this stuff is made of tar (bitumen) is it going to be putting out noxious fumes in a hot car interior?
    All I can say is that it smelled for a couple of days. Even after a few days, when the car sat with windows all up, I can smell it just a little. Smell = fumes, so I will be sure to keep it on fresh air for a while. Thanks for the thought. ...... 6-14 update: Today, at 4 days after install, the smell is not perceptible to me, even when car has been parked closed.
    Last edited by zellamay; 06-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.