Thread: Steering wheel controls not working

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i

Steering wheel controls not working

Hello all, I’ve read up about some of the various issues with the steering wheel controls, but none of the threads I read seem to apply to my situation. All the backlights work fine, the heated steering wheel button is the only button that works, the horn works fine and the airbag light isn’t lit up on my dash. However, none of the cruise control or radio controls work. There appears to be an aftermarket button installed to turn on the cruise on one of the trim panels, but the fitment is so clean it looks stock. That button is mentioned no where in my owner’s manual hence why I think it’s aftermarket. I just have no idea where to begin looking.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E39 forum from E39 DIY
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    How many miles on your '97 540? Worn clockspring is my 1st bet, but since you mention a jerry rigged button to turn on the cruise control, pull the airbag off the wheel and see if the Jerry rigger unplugged the black plug from the clockspring.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I think the very early E39 had the cruise control button on the dash, right next to the fog light switch. The newer E39's have a blanking plate in it's place when they added the cruise to the steering wheel.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Thank you all for the suggestions, the mileage is fairly low for a 97, it’s currently at 103k miles, it’s two years older than I am, I’ve taken the steering column cover off just a touch to see what was going on behind everything and it all looks up to snuff, no loose wires, nothing cut, no loose connectors, I guess it might be something behind the airbag, but of course I’m very paranoid about braking an expensive and dangerous part. My first guess was a cold solder joint on the connector for the buttons, I’m not exactly sure how BMW wired it all up, I’m going in blind essentially, I know that around the same time GM had a separate set of wires going to each set of buttons and they all met up at the end, but I’ve also heard of some companies daisy-chaining buttons together, I have no clue how BMW did this configuration.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by 97M62BimmerKid View Post
    .... I’ve taken the steering column cover off just a touch to see what was going on behind everything and it all looks up to snuff, no loose wires, nothing cut, no loose connectors, I guess it might be something behind the airbag, but of course I’m very paranoid about braking an expensive and dangerous part. ......
    You probably did this, but, just to point it out, it's always good practice to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes for all the electronic components to discharge - esp. the airbag modules - before working on any electrical car parts.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by 97M62BimmerKid View Post
    Hello all, I’ve read up about some of the various issues with the steering wheel controls, but none of the threads I read seem to apply to my situation. All the backlights work fine, the heated steering wheel button is the only button that works, the horn works fine and the airbag light isn’t lit up on my dash. However, none of the cruise control or radio controls work. There appears to be an aftermarket button installed to turn on the cruise on one of the trim panels, but the fitment is so clean it looks stock. That button is mentioned no where in my owner’s manual hence why I think it’s aftermarket. I just have no idea where to begin looking.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Without knowing if you still have the original radio set-up (the MID or navigation screen)...I have nothing to really comment on.

But for your 1997 e39...there's nothing wrong or aftermarket with your cruise control set-up. As someone mentioned above...the early e38s & e39s have a redundant CC button on the dash...to the right of the steering wheel. If you have the original steering wheel...the CC button on the steering wheel's right button pod should only have an 0...unlike the latter models that have an I/0 button in the same location.

The CC button on the dash turns the CC feature ON/OFF...then you use the buttons to set/increase/decrease/resume CC operations. If you don't initiate the CC button on the dash first...then you won't be able to set the cruise control:

{early e39 CC dash button}

{early e38 CC dash button}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    As far as I can tell I have the OEM everything, it was previously owned by a 94-year-old, I don’t see why he would go crazy installing aftermarket parts. The only thing that was aftermarket in the car was a janky Cell Phone cradle from the early 2000s. I still have the antenna and all that stuff but that cradle has been removed for two years.

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    The airbag light JUST came on, started the car up and then there it was, I’m going to go through with a clockspring replacement, if that’s the case, then that’s all, oddly enough the horn still works, so I’m hoping it’s not something else

My Cars
    '05 X3, 97 540i/6
    +1 on the clock spring, that thin ribbon cable goes after a while. I also have a 97' and just went through this.
    BMW = Break My Wallet