Thread: 750iL DME in Open Loop

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL

750iL DME in Open Loop

Long story short, I had tuned my sweet V12 to where it was running fantastic. Then I got a Schwaben scanner and inadvertently reset adaptations. Oops! One whole cylinder bank is now fixed in open loop. The computer is working because the throttle plated do move, but one is fixed at 14 degrees. I've tried to reset the throttles to no avail, all O2 sensors and MAFs and OSV are new, but I've got no power, although the car runs. Technically. Have checked the DME fuses also, all was well. The only code is torque imbalance. So I got an INPA setup, with DIS 57, etc. I can get static motor data with the key in position two, but with the engine running neither INPA nor DIS 57 can see the DMEs. I edited the motor list per a post by hemidog, to make sure that the correct motor was selected. No dice.

It seems that I need to somehow re-coordinate the two DMEs, but I am not sure how. Reset EWS? Have a DME reflash? I don't think both or even one DME is bricked since they are still activating the injectors and throttle bodies, but there is some kind of disconnect. I've contacted DUDMD, and he said he'd have to bench test the DME, but I'd like to try everything I can first on site. Anyone have any thoughts?DM5212R0 Not Found 5-19-19.jpgDIS V57 May 19 2019 Codes.jpg

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Have a go at:

1. Make sure the ignition is Turned Off
    2. Press the Gas Pedal to Full Throttle (while ignition is off).
    3. Turn on the Ignition to the 2nd position for 30 seconds (Do Not Crank the Vehicle) (Do Not let go of the Throttle)
    4. After 30 seconds are over, Turn Ignition Off and Remove Key (Do Not let go of the Throttle).
    5. After Key is Removed, let go of the Throttle and wait 30 seconds.
    6. After 30 Seconds, the Car can now be Started normally.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Well well well, you may have resolved in a few minutes what I've been struggling to fix for the last six months! I swear it feels like I'm on both banks now by my seat of the pants dyno. I'll let it accomodate by driving and see what happens with INPA this weekend. Will post up the results! Thank you so much!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Have a go at:

1. Make sure the ignition is Turned Off
    2. Press the Gas Pedal to Full Throttle (while ignition is off).
    3. Turn on the Ignition to the 2nd position for 30 seconds (Do Not Crank the Vehicle) (Do Not let go of the Throttle)
    4. After 30 seconds are over, Turn Ignition Off and Remove Key (Do Not let go of the Throttle).
    5. After Key is Removed, let go of the Throttle and wait 30 seconds.
    6. After 30 Seconds, the Car can now be Started normally.
    There are some really good deals on 750's to be had and this is all it takes to fix them.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1999 750il, 1995 325i, 1995 trans am, 1985 corvett
    Hi Timm. Was that the procedure to reset/synchronize the throttles??
    I had a similar issue with my 750 where it was running on half of the cylinders after I connected a scan tool and tried resetting adaptations even the dealer struggled to find a fix
    Is there any harm in trying the procedure you outlined on a car that isn’t having driveability issues. The last thing I want to do is create another issue with these over sensitive v12 computers lol
    Thanks again for your help

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Hi Timm,

Tried your procedure, but alas it didn't work. I thought it might have for a short time but no such luck. Any suggestions on how INPA may be able to help? I've got the set up from DJWW Auto Diagnostics. I can get into the German engine section to work with the engine off, just not with it running. The member 1999750iL in the post below said the dealership fixed his, but only after hundreds of dollars in research as no one knew how to deal with these old girls.

By the by, really enjoyed your video on youtube driving your 840 around. Mine's my daily driver as well, although my expenses have been considerably higher than your experience!

Jim

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    You have to try the procedure several times. Some people report back that it did not work the first four tries then it worked. It's a timing thing.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Yes, certainly worth trying it many times with slightly different timing here and there. The main aim is to re-learn the throttle position stops - the DME inhibits throttle operation until this is done. The procedure is also relevant for the 740i with M62TUB44 engine.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    Yes, certainly worth trying it many times with slightly different timing here and there. The main aim is to re-learn the throttle position stops - the DME inhibits throttle operation until this is done. The procedure is also relevant for the 740i with M62TUB44 engine.
    Hi Timm,

Is this advisable on 750iL?

I'm going to get INPA up and running this weekend and am learning through your videos which are absolutely fantastic btw.

I'm currently trying to understand what adaptations are etc and how to determine misfires etc.

In an effort to distinguish what is causing my Rough Idle, and stall (when in standstill traffic.)

Whilst I wait for Lee's availability I'd like to learn and comprehend what's causing the rough idle and shimmy at 50-60 (new tyres and balancing done - will attempt the 38psi on fronts and see if it helps too.)

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dillalade; 06-27-2019 at 04:42 AM.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The procedure is only relevant when the engine has been disabled by using diagnostics to reset adaptations - so probably not needed in your case!

This will explain how to read diagnostics:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Diagnostics.htm

....and shimmy:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Shimmy.htm

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Thanks Xboss, I'll keep giving it a go then!

- - - Updated - - -

Timm,

That explains my handheld scanner readings. One bank TPS shows movement, but the other bank has TPS fixed at 14.8% or thereabouts. I'll keep at it.
    Last edited by Drbnwaldorf; 06-27-2019 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dillalade View Post
    Hi Timm,

Is this advisable on 750iL?

I'm going to get INPA up and running this weekend and am learning through your videos which are absolutely fantastic btw.

I'm currently trying to understand what adaptations are etc and how to determine misfires etc.

In an effort to distinguish what is causing my Rough Idle, and stall (when in standstill traffic.)

Whilst I wait for Lee's availability I'd like to learn and comprehend what's causing the rough idle and shimmy at 50-60 (new tyres and balancing done - will attempt the 38psi on fronts and see if it helps too.)

Lots of good resources on tyre shimmy, Timms website is a trove of info among others. I've found the front wheel bearings to often be the problem. Replace them in pairs, to help the inevitable process of elimination. And get the BMW parts, or you'll run into another shimmy session pretty quickly down the road. All puns intended.

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    The procedure is only relevant when the engine has been disabled by using diagnostics to reset adaptations - so probably not needed in your case!

This will explain how to read diagnostics:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Diagnostics.htm

....and shimmy:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Shimmy.htm
    Amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Drbnwaldorf View Post
    Lots of good resources on tyre shimmy, Timms website is a trove of info among others. I've found the front wheel bearings to often be the problem. Replace them in pairs, to help the inevitable process of elimination. And get the BMW parts, or you'll run into another shimmy session pretty quickly down the road. All puns intended.
    Thanks for this.
    I'll look into front wheel bearings thanks.
    I've also read people staying to look to change the "brake rotors" - your take on this?

What's a good site to check how much these parts cost so I kind of know what this will cost when I take it to my mechanic.

Thanks

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dillalade View Post
    Amazing

Thanks for this.
    I'll look into front wheel bearings thanks.
    I've also read people staying to look to change the "brake rotors" - your take on this?

What's a good site to check how much these parts cost so I kind of know what this will cost when I take it to my mechanic.

Thanks

Rotors are common, but the vibration is consistent with braking in my experience, whereas bearings will sometimes stop shaking under braking, and I find that the shimmy of bearings will fade as they warm up.

I like autohauz.AZ for parts, of course there's turner motorsports, pelican parts, oembimmerparts.com, but my favorite for unexpectedly good deals is rockauto.com.