Thread: Loose door panel

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport

Loose door panel

When I pull the driver’s door to close on my LCI, there is a fair amount of play in the panel (see link to video below).

Could someone with knowledge of this door panel please advise if this can be fixed? Thank you.

https://youtu.be/CkCiUl1QdIU

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Yes. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Figure 5 shows an inner door clip. Your door panel is probably not installed correctly onto the clip.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    Thanks for your reply. I have experience with the door panels on my old 3 series models, but those door clips were just around the perimeter of the door. This door panel on my 5 series is tightly snug around the perimeter but loose in the middle. Therefore are you sure that removing the door panel could help? It feels like the middle is coming unglued from itself or just loose from old age.

My Cars
    You're going to have to remove the door panel no matter what you do to fix it. Whether it's broken, or just missing a clip.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    97 BMW 528i
    In the middle of the panel there is a central clip mounting, which is a square plastic piece with a slot opening
    that latches onto a clip on the door plate. When you remove the door panel, after releasing all the clips
    around the perimeter, you have to slide the panel up to release it from this central mounting which then stays
    with the door plate. On panel installation, first you have to transfer that central clip mounting from the door
    plate to the door panel, center the panel properly, then push it firmly so that clip mounting latches onto
    the central door clip then do the remaining clips around the perimeter of the panel.

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    Ah. So it sounds like my central mounting clip is not connected. From memory, the 3 series doesn’t have that.

I feel there is good cause to remove/reinstall the door panel now. Thanks!

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    I’ve just watched a couple of videos about removing the door panel.

What do you mean by the following:
    you have to transfer that central clip mounting from the door
    plate to the door panel

My Cars
    97 BMW 528i
    When you remove the panel by lifing it up off the central mounting clip, by design the plastic
    mounting bracket slide off the panel and stays stuck to the clip on the door plate. On panel
    installation, it is extremely difficult to slide the panel back into the mounting bracket, so instead
    of doing that you detach the bracket from the clip on the door plate and slide it onto the panel
    first. Now it's a matter of centering the door panel and then just push the bracket onto the
    clip to latch it. Doing it is easier than describing the process.

My Cars
    E60 530i LCI M Sport
    But I’m confused because I’ve viewed several videos and DIYs and they only show that the door panel is held on by clips around the perimeter - like I remember on my e36 and e46.

Are you saying there is a clip in the middle of the door panel? Like behind the door grip? That’s where the window mechanism is behind the door so what does it attach to?

Have you seen a DIY anywhere showing what you are referring to?

My Cars
    Yes, there is a clip in the middle of the door panel. Yes, behind the door grip. The window mechanism is inside the door, not between the door panel and the metal. The bracket that the clip mounts to is on the outside of the door. Just take the door panel off and you'll see for yourself. You're making it out to be a way bigger issue than it is.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician