Thread: Tow Hitch Rearend Stiffening

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i

Tow Hitch Rearend Stiffening

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uIs2KS0sBKg

Dont know how I stumbled across this video, but the title intrigued me. Hard to understand the guy, but he makes it clear that the tow bar supposedly stiffened the rear of the car, atleast enough to be noticeable. Anyone think his claims might be true/ worth looking into? With all the suspension/stiffening upgrades for the front, the rear seems lacking. I feel like that is the part most prone to feeling loose.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Figured what the heck and went ahead and bought one. I’ll report back my findings, or my for sale thread
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    That sounds actually like one of those things where you go "why didn't I think about this before?" It might work like the cabrio X-brace E36 people use to upgrade non-cabrios. I'll be waiting for the report...

PS: the guy kinda looks like Haley Joel Osment

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    https://ibb.co/BNPmL36
    https://ibb.co/HCzggt9
    https://ibb.co/TcP1gSh

First impressions, is that the car feels more solid and put together than before, which I would hope it would considering I now have a 26lb piece of steel, secured with m10 bolts, hanging off my bumper. I wish there was a way to test and see if there is an actual, appreciable difference in structural rigidity.
    I will also add, I had to cut off the tow hitch mounting, and make quite a few cuts to the bumper carrier, to make everything line up as close to where it was before.
    I will say, it’s similar to the xbrace, where I could certainly feel a difference. Just couldn’t tell you how much exactly for the tow bar.
    Was it worth the 100£ I paid for it, absolutely. Was it worth the 100£, and 150£ shipping? No, it was not. But I’m happy to take a bit of a hit price wise, to be the guinea pig. And once I get my sway bars on, I will be pretty much maxed out on bolt on handling upgrades, which is where I wanted to be. It’s certainly not a track ready car, but for taking it up in the canyons, this car does ( and will even more so soon) handle like a much smaller car. I would even go as far to say, that the handling is confidence inspiring, which to some people isn’t oximoron in a 30yr old car.
    So to conclude, would I recommend this upgrade? 100%, if you can get one at the right price. However, it would be much nicer if a company could take a tow hitch, do some proper measurements, and fab one up that didn’t require any bumper carrier modifications. All in all, happy I tried it out!