Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T-hooks, again

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    i used the t-hooks for my e36 race car for years with zero issues. ez to attach and never fell out.

i avoid those rear "shock mount tow eyes" like the plague. think about it......you are applying a lateral load on the end of a bolt a few inches from where it is screwed in. guess what happens? IT BENDS. i have seen this many times on e30's and e36's in track paddocks. horrible way to tie down a car.
    That was a concern....I was prepared with extra bolts. But...due to trailer dimensions, didn't use them.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the T-hooks, but i seem to always need to make 2-3 trips between the 2 ends to get them 'set' during the tightening process.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Maybe a seriously stupid question since I have never used thooks, could you tac weld/wedge them in place or something more permanent and use the frame rail for jacking?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Maybe a seriously stupid question since I have never used thooks, could you tac weld/wedge them in place or something more permanent and use the frame rail for jacking?
    Not stupid at all … but they sit a bit low, especially on lowered cars. You'd likely hit curbs with them if driving aggressively

A better solution I think is to weld on a couple big ass U bolts to the rear frame rails on either side of the spare tire well. I think we're going to do that as getting the hooks in is a huge PITA. For now, we install the hooks and straps in place, the tie the ends to the wing before we load so they are already to go to strap on when car is loaded. We load using a winch, so they stay in place (usually).
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Not stupid at all … but they sit a bit low, especially on lowered cars. You'd likely hit curbs with them if driving aggressively

A better solution I think is to weld on a couple big ass U bolts to the rear frame rails on either side of the spare tire well. I think we're going to do that as getting the hooks in is a huge PITA. For now, we install the hooks and straps in place, the tie the ends to the wing before we load so they are already to go to strap on when car is loaded. We load using a winch, so they stay in place (usually).
    I've been thinking/looking where to weld some u-bolt type attachment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12