Thread: 1995 325i Automatic Trans Stuck

My Cars
    1994 325i

1995 325i Automatic Trans Stuck

After sitting for a few days I had to move my 95 325i with an automatic transmission. The gear selector was rather stiff but I was able to get it to move. Unfortunately now, it won’t come out of drive. When I move the selector it moves around in the drive gears but nothing else. And it doesn’t seem like the gears are actually switching, just the selector. I’m thinking that it has something to do with the linkage (hopefully). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I’ve noticed in the past that it was a little tough to shift into the desired gear but it never stuck like this.

Thank You!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Well next step would be to put the car on 4 jack stands and release the cable from the trans, then you could manually move the shifter on the trans. You would need someone to be in the car to gently hold the brake (or use the hand brake if you know its good). Be sure not to spin the tires while the car is in the air because its dangerous. If you can easily go through the gears at the trans then there is something wrong with the cable or the shift lock solenoid.

When your stuck in the gears, where you able to go into neutral? Another possibility is the switch on the brake pedal. Can't remember are you able to hear a sound (solenoid) when applying the brake pedal?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Broken gear selector valve? see here pics https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ion-gear-shift
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 325i

1995 325i Automatic Trans Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Well next step would be to put the car on 4 jack stands and release the cable from the trans, then you could manually move the shifter on the trans. You would need someone to be in the car to gently hold the brake (or use the hand brake if you know its good). Be sure not to spin the tires while the car is in the air because its dangerous. If you can easily go through the gears at the trans then there is something wrong with the cable or the shift lock solenoid.

When your stuck in the gears, where you able to go into neutral? Another possibility is the switch on the brake pedal. Can't remember are you able to hear a sound (solenoid) when applying the brake pedal?
    Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been busy lately and I haven’t had much time to mess with the car.

Anyhow, so I disconnected the linkage from the trans and I was able to move the selector in the trans itself. So now I’m assuming it’s somewhere in the cable itself.

Edit: Right after posting my comment I disconnected the cable at the shift and discovered that the cable itself had snapped.

Thanks for the help folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JasonMHorn; 06-15-2019 at 02:01 PM.