Thread: 2007 X3 Squeak / Video

My Cars
    BMW X3

2007 X3 Squeak / Video

Hello Everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. I’d really appreciate a second set of eyes. I’m out of ideas.

We’ve got a 2007 X3 that has been fantastic for the most part. My mechanic is on vacation for a week and this noise has developed.

I’ve eliminated it from the engine bay, it only occurs when the car is moving at slower speeds. I can’t reproduce stationary / under load.

I originally thought something caught in the brakes so I took each tire off and cleaned the rotors / pads with brake cleaner. I can’t get the noise spinning any of the wheels alone.

Here is the noise while moving, no throttle.

https://youtu.be/Uyq08ivfRtU

It happens when accelerating or coasting but not braking.

Any ideas?

I appreciate any help.

Matthew

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    The noise itself sounds like it could be something to do with brakes (overheated and thus bent rotors, or bad wheel bearings), but since you seem to be getting 4 to 5 rubs for each wheel spin, IMO that eliminates that theory.
    Taking the differential ratios into account, it could be that each drive shaft spin causes a rub, at least it seems fairly close. That would point it to the transmission, transfer case, or the differentials themselves.
    Have it on a lift to better pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Try breaking next time while videotaping see if there is any change. my vote is for that wing like metal clip that holds the break unit and gives spring?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Good Evening,

I didn’t video a drive with brakes on and moving because it would be identical to before. I tried exactly what X3456 suggested to no avail.

I’m going to get it off the road and to a different shop Monday before I grenade something cool and have a repair exceed the value of a clean well cared for X3.

Out of the ideas vinyldude suggested I’m still crossing my fingers for something solved without heartburn.

I’ll come back and share what I’m told.

Thank you for the help!

Matthew

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    So does it happen when braking or not, I'm confused?
    Sounds brake related to me but like has already been said, it's more than 1 per wheel rotation. Could be parking brake related. Try slowly engaging parking brake (with thumb button depressed) while rolling; see if tbe noise changes. My second guess would be cv shaft or drive shaft related. But I'm really leaning toward brakes.

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Sorry, that wasn’t the clearest way to put that. Thank you for asking for clarity!

Brakes being applied did not stop the noise or change it.

On second thought I’ll record a video tomorrow with brakes on to make sure. I’ll also engage the parking brake and see if that is part of the solution.

Thank you everyone for thinking about this! Troubleshooting and elimination of factors gets more complex than I realize.

Matthew

My Cars
    BMW X3
    Hello Everyone,

Just to close this issue, it was a long journey but I believe it's fixed now.

For anyone in the future dealing with a noise like what's in the video above, in my situation it was actually the rear driveshaft. Specifically the U joint.

Before the rear driveshaft was removed he sprayed it with WD40 and road tested. (It was not possible to reproduce the noise on the lift prior to WD40). The WD40 removed the noise on the road test so he removed the rear driveshaft and had it rebuilt. I had the flex disc replaced at the same time even though it appeared to be just fine.

So far so good.

Hope this helps someone in the future.