Thread: z3 sitting for 6 years - how to start it up?

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL

z3 sitting for 6 years - how to start it up?

hello... i parked my z3 (M52TUB25) a few winters ago. i took on a home remodel that has still not ended, and just never had time or motivation to get it running again. i put fuel stabilizer in the tank before parking it, and bagged the intake (not at the manifold, just intake tube).

my biggest concern is the fuel tank. i don't want to drop the rear subframe to remove the tank. can i pull the pump then extract the old fuel and clean it that way? or will i have to really drop the tank? i suppose replacing the fuel pump should be on the list too...

if i can get it started i'll start going over all the other issues - the belt, cooling flush, etc. it's time for a dr vanos kit too...

the question for the forum: what sequence of events would you run this vehicle through before putting in a new battery and cranking it?

my minimal list:
    * drain fuel
    * replace fuel filter
    * replace fuel pump
    * empty / flush / clean tank while pump is out (how?)
    * drain oil & fill with new, rotate crank many times over few days
    * check coolant, other fluids
    * replace battery
    * cross fingers and crank (?)

if i get it running, i'll let it warm up, stop it and check everything.
    if everything looks OK, i'll let it run until everything is at max op temp until all the moisture is baked out, stop it and flush the oil and coolant and refill.

after than, i'll get tires, belts, yadda yadda, then take it on a mild spin. if that goes well, i'll plan the vanos service.

what does the forum think of this plan? at this rate, it'll be another year before i start, but i am at least in the planning phases now.

thanks for help!
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Remove the spark plugs shoot some oil in, remove fuel pump relay , change oil, crank engine over till oil pressure light goes off, install spark plugs, when it starts it could run a bit off, let it run. For fuel if you wanted to get the old gas out you could jump the fuel pump relay and remove the hose at the fuel rail and pump it out. I would just get it running first be for replacing a bunch of stuff, just to make sure everything is alright. The lifters will be noisy for awhile.
    Last edited by jclausen; 06-08-2019 at 09:24 AM.

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Remove the spark plugs shoot some oil in, remove fuel pump relay , change oil, crank engine over till oil pressure light goes off, install spark plugs, when it starts it could run a bit off, let it run. For fuel if you wanted to get the old gas out you could jump the fuel pump relay and remove the hose at the fuel rail and pump it out. I would just get it running first be for replacing a bunch of stuff, just to make sure everything is alright. The lifters will be noisy for awhile.
    OK - so you don't think the fuel currently in the tank will be a problem? i expect to run into issues - it'll be rough as hell for... a while i suppose. the reason i'm concerned about the fuel is that i expect the injectors to clog if they aren't already clogged. diagnosing the problems might be harder if the fuel is varnish.

i think it was down to only a few gallons when i parked it. do you think i should run it out, then refill it - or should i top it off with fresh gas to dilute the problem?

thanks a lot for info - i hope to find time and motivation to start tackling this in the next couple months...
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhitt View Post
    ... parked my z3 (M52TUB25) a few winters ago.... put fuel stabilizer in the tank...
    ... it was down to only a few gallons when i parked it....
    Did you add stabilizer to the nearly empty tank without filling up?
    Did you run the engine awhile after adding the stabilizer?
    Was the car stored in climate control, or a garage, or outdoors in a carport or under a cover?
    Worst case is that the stabilizer did not get into the filter and injectors, allowing fuel to become varnish, and the car was stored subject to humidity cycles, building up condensation in the empty tank, the crankcase and combustion chambers.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-08-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    That’s a rock solid motor so it would probably start right up. I’d hook a drain line to the fuel rail and drain the tank as is. The tank isn’t metal so no issues there. The fuel filter is huge so it most likely will handle it fine. Run some fuel conditioner with the next fill up. You can easily pull the injector rail and check for leaking injectors but I’d have new grommets on hand first. Good luck

My Cars
    2000 BMW z3
    Just start it an run it. Should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    OK - first, it runs. other than some sputters and misses, and some error codes for fuel control (which are likely due to the fuel being more cleaner and stabilizer than fuel at this point), all is OK. i think it's a miracle.

i've got to get tires, fix a handful of items in the interior (broken drivers interior door handle), but otherwise, i'm in business. seriously thinking of supercharging next year...

also - these forums rock - had to go back to a thread from 2007 to find where BradK gave me my stereo unlock code. what a great resource!
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Welcome back to land of the living, where in greater NYC are you?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '00 z3 2.5L & '98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Welcome back to land of the living, where in greater NYC are you?
    thank you sir! i am in NW CT. from the looks of your sig, we both have the same z3 - you must have great taste.
    Cheers,
    Phil

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    thank you sir! i am in NW CT. from the looks of your sig, we both have the same z3 - you must have great taste.
    thank you. I’m down in Southern New Jersey so we’re unlikely to cross paths unless it’s at ZFest or a cross-region ZSCCA event. Looking forward to helping out here on the forums if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black