Thread: Strange issue with my 318i

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i

Strange issue with my 318i

Long time owner of a 1999 Bmw 323i here and just recently picked up a 1985 bmw 318i manual for 300$ with a no start issue.
    Fires up and then dies everytime.

The car is the old style bosch le jetronic system.
    i replaced the distrib cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires and coil.
    poured some fresh gas into the tank and attempted the first start and it started then died almost instantly.
    Figured it was the fuel system trying to get the air out of the lines. and decided to take the air filter off and spray some starting fluid inside to keep it running
    fired up and ran and then died after a few seconds.

Kept messing with it and my friend put his hand infront of the intake boot basically blocking it with his hand and it started right up but it ran horribly. and ran fine as long as his hand was there
    Discovered some other issues with the vacuum lines and replaced them all but still the same issue persists
    my friend went home and i needed to move it so i put a pop can in the intake boot to get it started again and it fired up and i moved it across the yard for the night until i could fight with it some more.

The next day i put the airfilter box and the AFM back on the car and plugged them all in this time it ran perfectly fine and i was quite happy it sounded great and no vacuum leaks.

did some more messing around and then later tried to fire it up and it refused to start again. unplugged the AFM and it started right up but ran horribly. plugged it in while it was running and it died instantly.
    So i've discovered the AFM is clearly the issue. or atleast that circuit on the bosch le jetronic system. im not sure what i did to make it run good that one time besides dumb luck.
    Does anyone know what i should do? i cant connect the AFM or the car doesn't run at all. and without it it absolutely runs awful.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Check the connection at the afm for corrosion and check the harness connection. Also, you can pop the black cover off the top of the afm and check the wiper arm and arm track for good conncti9n
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Either the fuel filter is clogged, allowing just enough fuel to start then quickly running out, or the catalytic converter is clogged, creating back pressure as soon as the engine starts pumping air. Those are my two votes.

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i
    Fuel filter is not clogged and there isn't a catalytic converter. super stumped. started it today and it ran fine and then a trip around the block and it was running awful again. almost able to build 0 power while driving without the maf plugged in

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    When my 325i started and died immediately, it did the same symptoms as you have. Despite checking the fuel pressure (3 bar) when bypassing the relay, it turned out to be the pump. It would not flow enough fuel to keep the car running.

Can you get a good used pump or a cheap branded new pump to swap out and test?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    yup he can, amazon or ebay
    No e30s again.