Thread: 530i 5sp transmission popping out of 3rd and 5th gear

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3

530i 5sp transmission popping out of 3rd and 5th gear

I purchased my 530i 5sp last September with around 126k miles on it. Since then, Ive slowly been getting the car mechanically back up to par. Ever since the purchase, the car has randomly popped out of gears here and there with no real regularity. I installed an e60 545 shifter along the way with new shifter cup and that crisped up my throws. This minor upgrade didnt change the popping out of gear issue at all. Also, when i bought the car, i replaced all fluids. Cant remember the brand name, but definitely changed the transmission fluid before i started driving the car.

Fast forward to today......car just got a new clutch. There were a bunch of "you might as well" things done as part of the clutch job including a new shifter rod bushing, selector rod joint, transmission mounts, giubo, center support bearing as well as some other seals. So basically just about everything in that general areas has been replaced.

Now the transmission regularly pops out of 3rd and 5th gear under acceleration. I can hold it in gear and all is fine. When cold, the shift gate feels clean and crisp. I noticed last night that the throw into 3rd gear seemed very sloppy and loose. Car was fully up to temp at that time.

Ive spent a good amount of time researching my symptoms. Ive come back with everything from replacing the motor mounts to the replacing the transmission because the synchros are bad. Had a buddy who moonlights as a mechanic tell me that it appears that the new rubber boot on the shifter (below the shitft knob where the shifter rid goes through the transmission tunnel) seems to be pulling on the rod. I plan to take that off and see what happens.

Looking for any input from the E39 gods out there. What would you do next to troubleshoot/fix the problem?

Thanks in advance! This forum has bailed me out for 15+ years now!
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    you might also check the location of the weighted collar near the new rubber boot on the shifter and make sure it isn't binding or otherwise impeding shifts

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Some of those trans had detent spring ball upgrades for the shifter rods the shifter rods have a sort of u machinded in them the ball is pressed on by a spring when the gear is selected the ball drops into the groove, if the spring was weak or the shifter rod worn then it could pop out of gear.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    you might also check the location of the weighted collar near the new rubber boot on the shifter and make sure it isn't binding or otherwise impeding shifts
    Is that the pinch collar with the screw keeping it secured? If so, should that collar be high up on the shifter or down low pushing the rubber boot down?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Some of those trans had detent spring ball upgrades for the shifter rods the shifter rods have a sort of u machinded in them the ball is pressed on by a spring when the gear is selected the ball drops into the groove, if the spring was weak or the shifter rod worn then it could pop out of gear.
    If the spring is weak or the shifter rod worn, can that be fixed or new tranny time?

Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Just had a Eureka moment. I need to put some more mileage on the car before I call this one solved.

I didn't realize that was a weighted collar. It was pushed really far down on the shift rod. I loosened it and moved it up much higher (probably too high but wanted to test the theory).

Almost instantly, the shifts became more engaging....like they really slid into gear. The driveline vibration that I'd get through the shift knob on acceleration almost completed disappeared.

I'll report back in time whether or not this really worked. I'm jinxing myself, but this may qualify as the cheapest, most simple fix I've ever made on the 7 BMWs I've owned.

Thanks for the input.

Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM3 View Post
    Just had a Eureka moment. I need to put some more mileage on the car before I call this one solved.

I didn't realize that was a weighted collar. It was pushed really far down on the shift rod. I loosened it and moved it up much higher (probably too high but wanted to test the theory).

Almost instantly, the shifts became more engaging....like they really slid into gear. The driveline vibration that I'd get through the shift knob on acceleration almost completed disappeared.

I'll report back in time whether or not this really worked. I'm jinxing myself, but this may qualify as the cheapest, most simple fix I've ever made on the 7 BMWs I've owned.

Thanks for the input.

Hey, I swapped my car and have this weighted collar but can't tell from the realoem diagram what order it goes in, can you send a photo of your shifter please?

Right now I'm driving without it since I wasn't sure if the weighted vibration absorber was supposed to be above or below the large rubber boot.
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1823alex View Post
    Hey, I swapped my car and have this weighted collar but can't tell from the realoem diagram what order it goes in, can you send a photo of your shifter please?

Right now I'm driving without it since I wasn't sure if the weighted vibration absorber was supposed to be above or below the large rubber boot.
    On my car, the collar was the last thing to go on.

Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv

Glad it helped. I think the correct location of that collar is kind of midway..well above the rubber. When it sits on the rubber it can interfere with shifts.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Ive put another 400 or so miles on the car since this post. Safe to say that the problem has been fixed. Shifting is more precise and positive. No doubt it is landing in gear. In the next week or two, i may remove the weighted collar altogether and see what impact it has.

Thanks again for the support on this thread.
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!

Sold!

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    Good to hear. I left the collar off mine when I did the e60 shifter and I haven't noticed much difference.