Thread: C-Pillar Trim Install Help

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3

C-Pillar Trim Install Help

does anyone have any tricks on how to install this without the clips breaking? I bought brand new C-Pillars recently and feel like I have one shot to secure it

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Installing them is easy. It usually breaks when removing them from the car.

Just look at the plastic tabs and you will see it likes to be pushed in.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    So, I thought about removing the metal clips, attaching the clips to the tabs, and then pushing it in, but I think this is what breaks them.

Put the metal tabs in....put the pillar in line and basically, with gentle pressure, push the piece on. It doesn't take much, and it is a little intimidating, but don't try to force it. With gentle pressure, you should feel each tab insert.

I also believe there are 4 x tabs, but the bottom tab is a guide and does not have a metal clip....or both sides of mine were missing it
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Good thing u responded. I was about to put the clips on the tabs first and push it into the socket.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Yeah, I thought that would add some strength to it, but when you see how much force it takes to push those metal clips into the body, you see that you need it to collapse enough to get in there....that could place undue pressure on the plastic tab and cause you to use too much force

My Cars
    M3/4/5, SL65, GS350
    I finally had success by doing the following sequence:
    1) install the metal clips in the car
    2) attach the tab all the way at the back on the bottom
    3) carefully pull the panel towards you (keeping the first tab attached) and look at where the next tab furthest back needs to line up with the clip, try to guide the tab to the clip location, partially get it into the clip, then make sure those stupid hook shaped plastic pieces along the edge are over the metal prongs along the back window, then finish seating the tab.
    4) make sure stupid hook plastic pieces are still seated correctly along the back window, gently finesse into place if they are not. So glad I have a sedan and could do this by standing outside of the car looking into the back window while sticking my hand through the back door opening to adjust the panel.
    5) push the other tabs into place

To make things easier, I removed the speaker grille, head rests (I have a 98), and seat side bolsters.

Absolutely maddening experience, easily one of the hardest things I’ve done on this car, or any car for that matter.
    Last edited by sivikvtec; 06-07-2019 at 12:54 AM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    crap I totally forgot about the plastic hooks around the edge to hook against the metal prongs.

on mine they are resting over the prongs not grabbing it tightly. Are they on yours? regardless the C-Pillar seems pretty secure and I rather not mess with it anymore
    Last edited by bmwstephen; 06-07-2019 at 01:57 AM.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Im not sure what hooks you are referring to....but mine also seem in and secure so i, too, am not messing with it, ha!

I kept my headrests in, but did remove the side seat cushions for more room

I just looked at a picture on ECS and they show the hook....guess I missed that because apparently my trim has some sound deadening and they rear isn't as open and exposed like the picture shows....hmmmm....I'm so OCD, this may actually annoy me.
    Last edited by BMWManiac; 06-07-2019 at 06:58 AM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Should be fine as long as its not rattling. I tried to readjust to make them bite down on the metal prongs but the insulation is preventing the trim from sitting any deeper. So now it judt rests on those promgs

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    does anyone have any tricks on how to install this without the clips breaking? I bought brand new C-Pillars recently and feel like I have one shot to secure it
    Man, you guys are spoiled!

I gave up and used some crazy industrial velcro on mine. No more rattle, still come off if I need them.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    M3/4/5, SL65, GS350
    If the stupid hooks are in the wrong position you will be able to see part of the metal tabs they mate with when you stand outside of the car and look at that edge through the back window. If all you see is the c-pillar fabric along the window edge, you should be good.

I would not recommend removing the panel again unless you hate your life, car, and sanity.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sivikvtec View Post
    If the stupid hooks are in the wrong position you will be able to see part of the metal tabs they mate with when you stand outside of the car and look at that edge through the back window. If all you see is the c-pillar fabric along the window edge, you should be good.

I would not recommend removing the panel again unless you hate your life, car, and sanity.
    so true. Definitely don’t see them through the back window. Plus the hook area is underneath the black surround of rear windshield that protects the windshield adhesive from UV exposure; so its not visible