Thread: Replacing 525i auto transmission

My Cars
    Honda

Replacing 525i auto transmission

Hello BimmerSquad,

I know everyone hates the automatic transmission but I'm looking to replace mine. The manual conversion is to costly at the moment.

So my question is what tools do I need to complete this job from start to finish?
    I've been referencing:
    E36 automatic transmission removal https://youtu.be/qXP_9Vvekdc

Which lists:
    3/8 driver
    10mm socket

Star pointed
    E14 torx socket (Deep & short)
    E12 torx socket
    E10 tors socket

3/8 extensions (3x [longest])
    Pry bar
    Magnet
    19mm socket
    Impact
    22mm wrench or socket

Will this satisfy removing the E34 Automatic as well? Also any tips that I should look out for when doing this project?

And has anyone ever rebuilt one of these 4l30e transmission? I found a pdf that goes step by step on the rebuild but I want to know if anyone has attempted it and can gauge the difficulty.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    Unless you need the car for transportation I would highly advise doing the manual swap now.

The trans is kind of a pain to remove (if it’s any thing like the manual not sure). Some bolts are a pita to get out.

I know I wouldn’t want to take it out more Han I have to

My Cars
    Honda
    Im in DIRE need of transportation right now, and I found a used working automatic for 260$

Im trying to save $$$ on the install by doing it myself.

I'll be replacing the auto for a manual on my next tranny removal. I just need the car to last another 6 months.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    If you plan on doing this with jack stands, you will need a transmission jack, or a makeshift one of your own design. The auto transmission is a heavy beast. All else should be fairly straightforward, albeit a pain.
    I like the transmission jack they have at harbor freight, allows you to support the transmission while also tilting it slightly, which is great for getting to those etorx up top (at least on a manual). Goodluck
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    If you are doing this with jack stands, I'd suggest you remove the intake manifold. You should then be able to get at all the top bell housing bolts with short torx sockets and a breaker bar. You will also be able to get at the nuts on the back of the starter bolts. My starter was also bolted to the block at the back end. None of that would be fun rolling around on the ground.

The video doesn't mention it but you will have to remove the heat shield and exhaust. Spray the 6 manifold bolts with penetrating oil before you go anywhere near them with a socket. The guibo bolts will be very tight. Mark the position of the centre bearing carrier and don't forget you need to preload it when you put it back.

The most important thing is to have the engine and trans level and square so that the TC comes in/out with the box. If you get that wrong, you will not only dump ATF on the floor (which I think they did in the video) but you may damage the trans. Before you re-fit the trans, spin the TC and push it in. If the TC walks forward, there is every chance you will wreck the pump when you mate the engine and trans. Clean the knob on the front of the TC and the hole in the flywheel where it fits and apply a bit of lube. The trans and engine should mate with minimal effort. If they don't, something is wrong. Don't force it or be tempted to use bolts to pull the two together.
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 06-06-2019 at 06:05 AM.

My Cars
    Honda
    [QUOTE=whiskychaser;30273825]The video doesn't mention it but you will have to remove the heat shield and exhaust. Spray the 6 manifold bolts with penetrating oil before you go anywhere near them with a socket. The guibo bolts will be very tight. Mark the position of the centre bearing carrier and don't forget you need to preload it when you put it back./QUOTE]

This has been the most helpful post yet, I'll definitely be making sure I adhere to this advice. What do you mean by preload?

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. This is my first transmission job, I'm excited but I need everything to go smoothly in ONE go.

Is there anything on the automatic transmission I need to replace as far as seals since it's used?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    To preload, pull the center bearing towards the front of the car while tightening it down. The mounting holes are slotted to allow for this.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    Honda
    Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. I think I have all the info needed. Im going to start the job tomorrow.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietdnt View Post
    Is there anything on the automatic transmission I need to replace as far as seals since it's used?
    If there is any sign they are leaking, replace the selector shaft and output shaft seals. I would replace the TC seal anyway.

One thing I did not mention is that you cant reach all the guibo bolts at one time. You will have to have a rear wheel off the ground so you can spin it with your foot to rotate the drive shaft. Just put it in neutral to spin it and then lock it into park again. You can do that with the lever on the side of the trans - saves you getting up and down all the time BTW, don't be tempted to turn the bolt heads as you could damage a perfectly good guibo. Tighten the nuts.
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 06-07-2019 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525iT 12/94)
    It's been several years since I removed my auto trans and installed a manual. However, I remember the one place where I had to have a second pair of hands -- fitting the manual trans into place. Whiskychaser's comments are excellent. Removing intake manifold was necessary for me too-- starter bolted from both front and rear! the trans jack is also a requirement if you are alone.
    Good luck. You can do it!

Oh, I have two bmw 1995 auto T. one had 178000 miles on it and worked perfectly; the second one has 263000 miles and gave no problems before 200k. Changing ATF and using proper fill technique (top up with engine running in drive) with the wonder drug for old trannies LUCAS ANTI SLIP 2 bottles, gave me many more miles and only now is slipping badly.
    Last edited by frstevec; 06-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    Also, depending on source of transmission and year and spec, you will probably want to transfer the wiring, pan and solenoids over into the new trans so they match what you already have and what the computer and wiring are designed for... Which is no biggie, if you know the solenoids you have are good and not full of detritus or failed and the cause of your existing woes.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5