Thread: 1990 325i E30 No Start/Crank But Clicks

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 328i

1990 325i E30 No Start/Crank But Clicks

Hi, I have a 1990 BMW 325i E30, Automatic Transmission, around 100,000+ miles.

Disclaimer: Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I’m by no means a mechanic/technician, I’m still a noob when it comes to cars.

The car has sat without starting for around a year+ or so.

The battery has been recently replaced and tested so I ruled that issue out.

When I turn the key in the ignition, the dash lights come on, and when I turn it to start, I can hear a clicking coming from the engine bay, and I assume the click is coming from the starter?

I thought it could have been the Main Relay (61-36-1-729-004) so I bought a replacement and replaced it, but I still have the same issue, I hear a click when I turn the key but it doesn’t start or crank.

I was able to start the car by shorting the starter with a screwdriver, and it runs fine after it’s started.

I’m having trouble figuring out what the issue is here.

Any help is appreciated and please let me know if any other information is needed!

Thank you.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

I would first start with testing the ignition switch, for they are known to go bad on E-30's over time, well pretty much any car of that age.

So to check to see if you are getting the signal down to the starter, you will need a multi-meter.

Not sure what tools you do have here, or have access to.

Lastly before you start to do anything, check the date of the timing belt. They have a finite lifespan of about 4yr/50k miles, if it breaks, you project will become a paperweight IMO.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Just a thought dworthy: if the OP hears a clicking sound coming from the engine bay when he turns the key, wouldn't that mean that it's functioning but the electrical power is somehow interrupted/shorted, along the way between the ignition switch and the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

I would first start with testing the ignition switch, for they are known to go bad on E-30's over time, well pretty much any car of that age.

So to check to see if you are getting the signal down to the starter, you will need a multi-meter.

Lastly before you start to do anything, check the date of the timing belt. They have a finite lifespan of about 4yr/50k miles, if it breaks, you project will become a paperweight IMO.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Could be, as the solenoid might be bad, or just a bad connection perhaps.

Troubleshooting is more like a flowchart, you have to start at one end, and work your way to the other. For me, it just makes it easier to keep with a system, instead of jumping around if you know what I mean.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Could be, as the solenoid might be bad, or just a bad connection perhaps.

Troubleshooting is more like a flowchart, you have to start at one end, and work your way to the other. For me, it just makes it easier to keep with a system, instead of jumping around if you know what I mean.
    Yeah I see what you mean and it makes sense, it's just that I thought that if the current "makes it to the engine bay" it means the ignition switch is doing its job and the issue is located in the engine bay. But I'm not aware of its (the ignition switch) technicalities TBH.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E46 328i
    Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks, I used a multimeter and checked the starter motor, on one part (bolt? Not sure what it’s called) and I get around 12 volts and on another I don’t get any volts when the key is turned, but I can still hear a click, (is it possible I didn’t test it right?)

Is there any way to make sure it’s the ignition switch, and not the Neutral Safety Switch, or maybe even the solenoid like you said in your your reply to Breeze1?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by vector1028 View Post
    Thanks, I used a multimeter and checked the starter motor, on one part (bolt? Not sure what it’s called) and I get around 12 volts and on another I don’t get any volts when the key is turned, but I can still hear a click, (is it possible I didn’t test it right?)

Is there any way to make sure it’s the ignition switch, and not the Neutral Safety Switch, or maybe even the solenoid like you said in your your reply to Breeze1?
    your symptons are classic solenoid failure, since you hear it clicking, and started by bypassing with a screwdriver, its just dirty contacts inside the solenoid, old GM stuff could be disassembled and cleaned up, not sure about our german stuff.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Correct, click and not engaging is a classic solenoid failure.

On the big bolt with the red cable, you should be getting 12V-12.6V, while on the smaller IIRC green with a black strip voltage only when the ignition switch is turned to "start".

I suspect your ignition switch is good, so time for a rebuilt starter. Now make sure it is a Bosch reman, not some Autozone special.

Once the starter is out, you can test it by jumping it using cables, and such. Or you can also take it to a parts store, for they tend to have a tester on hand.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member