Thread: Window/Door Problem

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe

Window/Door Problem

Hey guys,
    I have come across quite an annoying problem in my E36. The door striker sensor button switch thing (or whatever it's called) is not consistently being contacted by the door so as I drive along my window just non stop goes up and down (it's a coupe so its the thing that when you open the door the window drops about a half inch).

I found the switch and am aware that I can either replace it or just tape it up a bit to essentially make the button bigger, but I am thinking that part of the problem is that my door is not closing tightly enough. The button is definitely part of the problem as there is visible wear on it, but also as I am driving along or when I stand outside next to the door, I can respectively pull or push it closed, activating the switch. I can also see the door move in a little more as I do this.

This leads me to believe that in addition to the worn out switch, perhaps there is something else I should do so the door stays closed all the way. However, I do not know how to go about doing this. Do you guys have any idea where this may be coming from or what I can do to fix this? Is this by any chance because of the switch as well? Or maybe is it not worth it deal with this and just focus on the switch. My OCD makes me want to fix both but if it's not worth it I'm fine with just fixing the button.

As always thanks for your input, any help or comments are appreciated.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Adjust the position of your latch striker on the door jamb a couple mm inward perhaps?

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    99 M3

Window/Door Problem

I believe the problem stems from a worn 51218105511 Latch Striker (#6) post, the same item that contains the micro switch.
    Wrap the post with a couple zip ties to makeup for the worn plastic, as a temporary measure.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_0939

Use the last seven of your VIN in www.realoem.com to validate your latch striker part number, E36 is now in “classic” catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-06-2019 at 02:15 AM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    I cut up a couple small pieces of electrical tape and put them on the button and that seemed to do the trick. This is a good temporary fix but I think I'll end up getting a new one eventually. When I do get one, do you guys think this will help the door close more solidly?

Also how would I go about adjusting the old one to move it up a couple mm? This sounds like it would do the trick but I just went and looked at it and I don't see anywhere to adjust it. Maybe just loosen it and see if there is some clearance between the holes and the bolts and see if I can slide it out a bit?

My Cars
    '94 M3 E36 S50B30
    I think you should start by changing the striker and see how it goes, it is not really an expensive part anyway.

I had the same issue or worn sensor in my car with the window opening and closing randomly, it is really annoying

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Adjusting it is not an appropriate means for resolving it. The striker plastic nub is worn out and must be replaced. #6 as Blu said.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    You can bodge it with JBWeld...

Actually, to be honest you can fix it permanently with JBWeld but I'd take the replacement route recommended above.
    Last edited by M3AN; 06-10-2019 at 03:21 AM.
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Looks like I'm gonna get myself a new striker then. Do you guys think this will help the door close all the way? Sorry if that is what you guys are saying but I'm not sure if it will fix both or just the window from having a mind of its own and which one you guys are talking about.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318i
    Hello friends,
    I have a E36 1998 318i convertible.
    I have been recently facing an issue with the driver side window glass.
    As the cabrio has an option of rolling the window slightly while opening/ closing the door.
    This function has actually stopped working recently and the window stopped rolling completely up automatically once the door is closed/ shut.
    This is effecting, as the water gets inside during car wash and even effecting the A/C and even noise issue.
    Is there any way, I can fix this and have this option working again?
    Thanks in advance.