Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Most Amazing Mistake!

My Cars
    1997 840ci - 2006 325i

Talking The Most Amazing Mistake!

10 years in the making and finally jumped in!

I've been chasing and following and i've finally found one that I felt comfortable bidding on and won!

'97 840ci with 60k miles
    Had it inspected and cleared minor exterior cosmetic issues that I was comfortable with but otherwise solid.
    Belts changed, new oil, filters.

Picking it up in Boston on Friday and divining it down to Florida for the inaugural trip!

Haven't been this excited in awhile and though I know there are loads of things ahead I am thrilled to finally own an 8 series.

Everybody around me says it is a huge mistake, both the trip and the car, but you have to make them every once in awhile and this is an amazing one.

Me right now.

My 1997 840ci
    e31.jpg

My Cars
    91 850i-95 850csi- 94 85
    Nice welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Only one picture? Have fun.

My Cars
    1997 840ci - 2006 325i
    Picking it up Friday, the sellers pictures were kinda junk. There will be more!

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Great car - enjoy the trip. Tell the naysayers to take a hike, while you’ll be driving. I bought my 850Ci in Florida and drove it home to Pennsylvania. I bought my 850CSi in California and drove it home to Pennsylvania. There isn’t a better car for a long road trip, and by the time you get home, you’ll be comfortable and familiar with your new car.

Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    I once bought one for $3k and drove it home with one headlight that only high beams worked. Trip was only 450 miles but ad said engine and trans was strong and only had 105k on the clock. I’ve been mending her ever since.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Glacier blue, Rare color, Congrats!

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    I bought mine in NY and while trailering it home we blew out two of the tires on the trailer in Gary Indiana. Found the Happy Way Tire shop, good prices, good service and nice selection after we drove past burned out buildings and abandoned schools.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Glacier blue, Rare color, Congrats!
    For sure! Great find, l've only seen that color on early 8's.

Enjoy the drive home. Bought my "8er" in Indiana and drove it to Southern California. Best drive ever....especially blasting through the mountains & across the Mohave Desert.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Great find! Looking forward to another 8 in Florida! PM me your contact info, and we can exchange more info!

PS - they are NOT a mistake! Only the uninformed say that
    Last edited by rogbmw; 06-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    10 years ago I took a chance and bought a one way plane ticket to a city about 4000 Km away to buy a $4500 6 speed fixer upper. Drove it home in 3 days. Best trip I've ever taken in my life.

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    Welcome!

Everybody around me says it is a huge mistake, both the trip and the car, but you have to make them every once in awhile and this is an amazing one.
    Jealousy! Only mistake I can see is that "everybody around" hasn't got an 8er.

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    I am a ft. Lauderdale E31 owner. I only drove mine a couple of hundred mile home. all went well. two months later I did a trip to SESF in SC. the car was and still is great on a road trip. give me a message when you get her back to S. FL.

My Cars
    1997 840ci - 2006 325i
    Well it was a great 300 miles!

My brother and cousin came with me and we picked up the car and pleasantly surprised at the condition. A few cosmetic issues but nothing I was not expecting.

20190607_090225.jpg

Seller was incredibly helpful through the whole process, warned me again that it flagged limp mode a few times but not all the time.

Seller gave me cash for gas as he hadn't filled it up... oh my the pain, here is 3/5 a tank, didn't snap a full one but, ouch.

IMG-20190607-WA0003.jpg

Onward from Boston to Philly to meet our cousin for our first leg.

About 3 hours in we pull off in NY (Bedford Hills) to stretch our legs (well the one guy in the back, that poor sap).

Top up again for gas and rotate drivers. Start up and it throws limp mode, I tell my cousin to cycle the ignition and drive through it giving it some power. He floors it dragging along. Pop, smoke, good bye water pump.

IMG-20190607-WA0029.jpg

Walk back to the gas station and speak with the guy in the garage. He won't touch the car, "too complicated" he says. Give us the name for a tow guy.

Tow guy shows up and we tell him there is a BMW dealership up the road, he says no and takes us to a local BMW only shop. Thank god for that guy.

BMW Shop confirms pump is blown and no parts available anywhere close (not even dealership). Fastest he can get one is by Monday/Tuesday. But we all have to be back to work/life by then.

Road trips dead.

Park it up no charge (thanks Bimmers Only) and call in the auto transport to pick it up Tomorrow.

I'll have it by the weekend/Monday with a new pump in by next week and then the real fun can begin!

It drives like a dream though, best 300 miles ever.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Aw man....sorry to hear of your woes. It'll be fine when it's all sorted.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Solid decision making in my opinion!
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Wish I had read this earlier, I'm not far from Bedford (I'm in Stamford CT about 30 mins away) and would have dropped by to say hi. But never did a water pump, so I wouldn't have been much help (except to buy you a beer).
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    1997 840ci - 2006 325i
    Could have helped to drown our sorrows. My brother and cousin were more disappointed, they mapped out BBQ joints all down our path and our first 3 hours were arguments about NC/SC or crossing into Tennessee for the spots. Next time.

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    shit happens.... hope you're thread title doesn't become reality

My Cars
    1997 840ci - 2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgiumbarry View Post
    shit happens.... hope you're thread title doesn't become reality
    The 'mistake' was driving it down, not buying!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Ambitious to plan to go that far on an unknown, and likely barely driven car, good in you. Get it sorted and check out the general maintenance items to deal with on Wuffer’s and Tim’s sites and you should have years of basically trouble free driving.

Of course you may get drawn into doing the multitude of upgrades and the fun will never end!
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    Quote Originally Posted by veerack View Post
    The 'mistake' was driving it down, not buying!
    i made a thread about "my" experience…. at least i could drive it home for 20 miles

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6781-Daily-850

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Sorry to hear about the water pump. There are a few 8s down here in FL so you're not alone. I'm on the other side of the state but am planning a run over there sometime next month...

It would be a good idea to join the E31 chapter too... more info on your car on the site as well as here https://www.bmwccae31.com

-Bob

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    awesome color, I had no idea there was a glacier blue! I was in the market for a e31 for a couple years but an e39 540it (V8 wagon, in original RHD configuration, UK spec 1/7 made. 1/1 in the US) popped up and I had to jump on it. My wagon is glacier green, does glacier blue change color depending on the lighting conditions? (mine goes from silver-ish in low to no light to a light green in direct sunlight)
    RHD_wagon_interior_view.jpgRHDPNZR_REAR.jpg

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    I have a story much like yours..... it is late 2015 and after 6 years of e31 ownership with several different cars, I decided I would sell the one I have and find the "keeper" I wanted a low mileage, original condition, one or two owner car with full service history...oh I will take a 6 speed as my others cars were. Yea right, so does every one else. To make matters worse I wanted a silver car, and sport seats!! So, that means Canada or Europe. Cars are too expensive in Europe with the exchange rate.....so it will be Canada. It gets more complicated....I still have a 79 635csi that I bought in Germany when it was nearly new. It is silver with blue interior, and I love the colors. I knew I would never find an 850i with those colors!! Yes, I found a silver car with blue interior, one of only 89 e31 cars made in those colors! Long story short the car that checked all the boxes, except an automatic not 6 speed. I had to buy it!! With the US/Canada exchange rate so much in my favor and everything else.....I flew to Toronto one morning, put the deal together and drove to the border, paid the duty and drove straight home to Richmond Va.with only a gas stop. It was a long day but a fantastic trip home. I took back roads thru upstate NY to avid interstate traffic driving 140KPH for some time before slowing down for interstate driving. Thinking back I suppose I am lucky "Bambi wasn't out that night thinking about suicide. When I got home and got out of the car I looked back and thought I am not really that tired after about 600 miles, and could have driven for hours more!! What a day, what a drive, and what a car!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast