Thread: Car won’t turn over/ high pitched metal sound

My Cars
    1992 325is

Car won’t turn over/ high pitched metal sound

To start off I have a 1995 325i

was driving around today fine then stopped to get groceries, hopped back in and now it won’t turn over battery in it is maybe 2 years old but tried to jump it and couldn’t get it to start up.

lights ac and everything works. Off and on it sounds like the car tries to start up
    then while trying to jump it started getting the high pitched metal scraping sound.

only have a few days off of work so trying to figure out quickly. Tried to post a video of sound but won’t allow

My Cars
    99 M3

Has intermittent starting been an issue for a period of time? How many miles on current starter?

So it always cranks (turns over) but does not catch/fire and start running when turning the key?

OR

Sometimes when turning the key it does not crank (turn over)?

AND NOW

When I turn the key, the starter makes a horrific noise, engine does not crank (and engine does not catch/fire and start running?)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    No issues with intermittent starting before, not sure the miles on current starter. I may have jumped the gun and picked up a starter to see if that does it, going to attempt that tomorrow. the sounds I’ve listened to of starter grinding doesn’t quite the same.

but it would do both, mostly tries to crank once or more, loud noise, no start.

then some times just the noise. But when it first happened there was no noise

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Bump.

going to try to replace starter today to see if this fixed it , if I try to get to it from the bottom is it necessary to lower the transmission or is it easier to get to from the top

My Cars
    1992 325is
    And just to say what it did this morning when trying to start up, car is attempting to crank, loud whining metal sound, no start

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Maybe the starter is stuck engaged. Try tapping it with a pipe and a hammer, don't go apeshit on it, just light taps.

If you have a 5spd then you should be able to get at the starter bolts from below. If an automatic then from above, but you should remove the intake.

- - - Updated - - -

You need the proper wrench when going from above, it's not a fun job.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1992 325is
    I do have a 5 speed, gonna have to walk to the store to get one of those dang e12 sockets. But I guess while I have it up I can give it some taps and see if it works
    Last edited by Thekeysarebroke; 06-04-2019 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Here is a video of the sound

My Cars
    1992 325is
    It definitely sounds like it’s coming from the front end , like something is stuck. Car sounds like it’s about to start up

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Update, spent the last four days trying to get starter off. Can’t get those effing start bolts off, trying everything I have found online so far aside from buying one of those e12 wrenches

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Get the wrench, take it out from the top. While your waiting for the wrench take the manifold off, order new gaskets for the manifold while your at it.

There was a guy on here that made his own wrench, he used the proper socket and welded an arm to it. You can modify the length of the socket and the shape of the arm to make it doable. Also while you have the manifold off you can spray some penetrant into the bolts.

Have you confirmed it's the starter? Has whacking on it helped any?
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1992 325is
    I have the intake removed, trying to get a hold of one of those wrench’s. I tried to rig the socket to a wrench I have but can’t then get the socket on to the bolt. I’ve doused it in penetrating fluid a few times. Then going at the lower bolt with socket and extensions no budge. I did try knocking on the starter a few times but no luck starting it. That sound it’s making has baffled everyone I’ve shown it to. So at this point I’m just hoping it’s the starter

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Take the belt off and see if it still makes that sound while attempting to crank. If it does, thats norrmally the sound of a broken pressure plate being dragged across the bell housing.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    99 M3

Based on year alone I’m guessing that you starter is retained bolt/nut combo. Later starters had threaded bosses.
    With the manifold out you should be able to access the nut side. Add penetrant - Kano Kroil or PB Blaster - to bolt threads, nut side.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-07-2019 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    I have the threaded bolts (no nuts), I’ve borrowed an impact wrench I’m gonna see if I can fit that to an extension. Going at it with a breaker bar did nothing

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Update: so it’s going on two weeks I got the e12 wrench on Friday , was able to get the top bolt out after about 30-40 minutes, I’m able to get the wrench on to the bottom bolt but still not moving.

My Cars
    99 M3

Add a 2 ft pipe extension to your wrench. Use anti-seize when you reinstall

Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-17-2019 at 12:35 AM.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Going to try to find something to use tomorrow, my jack lever won’t fit on to the wrench. This things a real piece of crap. I got 4 weeks before I have to move out of my apartment

My Cars
    1992 325is
    So starter is replaced, battery is charged, still not start

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekeysarebroke View Post
    So starter is replaced, battery is charged, still not start
    Does it try to crank?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 325is
    Yes it does try to crank

My Cars
    1992 325is
    So an update, never did figure it out. Bought another car and selling the bimmer

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Bummer, sorry to hear that. Would have probably had to put it on 4 jack stands and have a second person under the car to help pinpoint the sound.