Thread: A/C lines for your swapped car

My Cars
    E36

A/C lines for your swapped car

I just got done swapping my E36 with a 2JZ and looking into getting my A/C up and working. My question is has anyone made adaptor fitting for the firewall or are people just using the stock fittings and welding them? Any info would be great if anyone knows.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    I don't have a good answer to your specific question, but I have seen a variety of approaches taken. My approach will be to use BMW components except for the compressor, so I intend to buy/make an adapter on the compressor connections only. Have you seen this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...h-LS1-E36-swap ? Much of the thread is about getting it to play nicely with the LS1 computer, but there is also lots of good info on the connections. (Some of the info in the beginning of thread is dated.)

What compressor are planning to use?
    Last edited by motorV8ed; 06-03-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by motorV8ed View Post
    I don't have a good answer to your specific question, but I have seen a variety of approaches taken. My approach will be to use BMW components except for the compressor, so I intend to buy/make an adapter on the compressor connections only. Have you seen this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...h-LS1-E36-swap ? Much of the thread is about getting it to play nicely with the LS1 computer, but there is also lots of good info on the connections. (Some of the info in the beginning of thread is dated.)

What compressor are planning to use?
    Thanks for that bit on info.

The plan so far is to use the compressor that came with the engine and the rest of the BMW stuff

IM guessing no one makes a A/C firewall adaptor but I thought id give it a try

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Thanks for that bit on info.

The plan so far is to use the compressor that came with the engine and the rest of the BMW stuff

IM guessing no one makes a A/C firewall adapter but I thought id give it a try
    Just grab a set of old hoses with the firewall connection from the pick-and-pull or a part out, if you don't have your old hoses.

Do a Google search or ask around to find a comprehensive local hose shop. They can easily graft the stock ends onto new/custom hoses/lines for you.

The hose shop I use makes everything from huge hydraulic hoses for garbage trucks and heavy equipment, to small brake lines, to custom A/C hoses. They have hundreds of bins filled with various fittings.

Just for reference, this is the local shop I use. There's only a few pictures on their Google listing but the few pictures give you an idea of what a well equipped hose shop looks like.
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 12-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Just grab a set of old hoses with the firewall connection from the pick-and-pull or a part out, if you don't have your old hoses.

Do a Google search or ask around to find a comprehensive local hose shop. They can easily graft the stock ends onto new/custom hoses/lines for you.

The hose shop I use makes everything from huge hydraulic hoses for garbage trucks and heavy equipment, to small brake lines, to custom A/C hoses. They have hundreds of bins filled with various fittings.

Just for reference, this is the local shop I use. There's only a few pictures on their Google listing (and the first picture is definitely not of their shop) but the few pictures give you an idea of what a well equipped hose shop looks like.
    Thanks a bunch that really helps, I have no clue about A/C stuff.
    Any chance you know what the cost of the two main lines should cost to make? I just don't wanna over pay.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Any chance you know what the cost of the two main lines should cost to make? I just don't wanna over pay.
    It's hard to say. It really depends on what you're having done but I'd anticipate a few hundred dollars.

You can probably get it done fairly inexpensively if you don't care about how they're routed. It's mainly the time that's involved that you're paying for, though silver-solder is not inexpensive.