My Cars
    BMW X1, 1.8

BMW X5 - is it any good in snow?

Hello to all BMW enthusiasts in Switzerland

I am a BMW X1 owner who used to drive a 2013 BMW X3 2.0 litre manual diesel and also a 2008 BMW X3 2.0 litre manual diesel.

In every respect, they were both great, reliable cars, particularly in snow. We used to drive up snowy mountain roads to get to work on top of a mountain in Switzerland.

As our family will be expanding, I am thinking of getting second-hand second generation BMW X5 3.0 litre as second car. I am also thinking of getting an X3 since that is what we know. I understand most post-2006 X5's are all automatic.

I wanted to ask:

1. Anyone owned a BMW x5 automatic? Was it a good car? Particularly in snow?

2. Any mechanics out there can confirm that the diesel engine would last longer than the petrol one?

3. Anyone experienced whether the BMW X5 automatic handles well in snowy conditions? I mean will it get you up and down steep, narrow, windy, deep snow (ski-resort) conditions as well as my X3 2.0 litre manuals have done?

4. Is the 3.0 litre X5 engine the longest lasting and most economical or is better to go for a larger engine for longevity?

Any advice, particularly about how the BMW X5 compares with a manual car or specifically an X3 manual, would be most welcomed everyone.

Many thanks

RASZ

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    well if your talking 3.0 is probably the best option unless you wanna pay for the v8. the GM transmission auto has no issues. it's a good car i just don't like the door handles because they break if your not careful especially if they have never been replaced. the automatic trans on BMWs have no issues that im aware of. i owned all and all of mine have no transmission issues but you have to have your filter and transmission fluid change every 80,000 miles