Thread: Cluster blinker lights not coming on. Flasher?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i

Cluster blinker lights not coming on. Flasher?

Hey so bought a 99 323i recently. Found out when you hit the blinkers, no lights on the dash indicate a blinker being on nor does it make a clicking sound. Same with when the high beams are on. But the blinkers, hazard lights, etc work on the exterior. Picked up a flasher/relay that is suppose to be for the blinkers from advance auto. Have no idea where it goes. And can not find anywhere on the internet where someone has replaced one. Places I’ve checked are under the driver side dash, steering column, engine bay where computer is, center console where hazard switch is, and behind the glove box. Am I missing something? Any ideas on how to go about this? Anyone had the same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check fuses

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Check fuses
    Have checked fuses 10,34, and 43. All were intact. Even swapped them around. No change. Did a cluster test.
    All my cluster lights do work.

My Cars
    1999 323i
    What you are describing sounds like a bad cluster (cluster test is useless!) or the k-bus is bad. To test for k-bus try controlling the radio from the steering wheel radio buttons. If they do not work then the k-bus is bad.
    If they do work and it's just the high beam indicator, turns signals, door ajar lights, trunk open light, cluster digital display backlight (when head lights on are) then the cluster is bad.

My Cars
    LS E46
    There is no relay for the blinkers or the hazards. Not sure what you bought, but it’s 100% not for this car.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The only time I’ve had that issue with my dash not functioning properly was when I had a really low battery due to a failing alternator.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    A "flasher" only works for American cars. And I'm not sure modern cars still even use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The only somewhat “modern” American car I’ve see with a flasher is the new edge mustang - but that car is actually just a heavily facelifted fox chassis from the 70’s so it’s just carryover technology.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Ya I returned it and told the guy that my car never had one to begin with. He made up some bs reason why it was for my car. But I’ll probably replace the cluster whenever I get interested in fixing the issue. For now it’s not too much of a bother.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    k-bus is messed up I bet. the LCM sends the info to the cluster for this operation. what else doesnt work on car?
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by 90turbo1 View Post
    k-bus is messed up I bet. the LCM sends the info to the cluster for this operation. what else doesnt work on car?
    Both turn signals, high beam, fog light, check engine light, and cruise control light (probably why cruise control doesn’t work). The radio control buttons on the steering wheel most of the time work but some days wont change a song or takes a couple clicks to turn the volume up.