Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 745i build and update thread

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    Don't you love all the parts you need to restore an old car. My 02 has so many parts and I'm nowhere near resoration mode.
    What are you using to condition the leather? Color Plus, Leatherique, or Colourlock?
    I remember him saying Lexol. I was getting inspired to attack my non-buffalo leather. There it is (post 12).
    "After starting with a couple coats of the Lexol I Switched over to the Color Plus and that seemed to make a big leap in the color. I would have gone just with color plus but I only had 1/2 can".
    Last edited by TowJamma; 06-15-2019 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by TowJamma View Post
    Don't you love all the parts you need to restore an old car. My 02 has so many parts and I'm nowhere near resoration mode.

I remember him saying Lexol. I was getting inspired to attack my non-buffalo leather. There it is (post 12).
    "After starting with a couple coats of the Lexol I Switched over to the Color Plus and that seemed to make a big leap in the color. I would have gone just with color plus but I only had 1/2 can".

I swear I was thinking that and what an absolute miracle it is to manufacture a car. The amount of parts needed, and they all have to fit together into something that is usable, reliable, good looking, sellable.... is nothing short of amazing.

Which leads to this being the place our estimates get off track. My buddy agreed to paint my car for just about 4K and do it right. Not SEMA show quality but very nicely done. Add to that new door gaskets so he can paint the doors properly, $100.00 each. Then if the 30 year old window guides need replacing another 100.00 each. After that the windshield gaskets since they really need to come out to do it right. Surprise $250.00 for the front and the rear NLA, best luck to you there. Since you have to have them apart, to stop the doors from rattling there are these little grommets that connect all of the door rods, just a few bucks. Then there are the inner door gaskets around the door frame at $45.00 each. Door handle gaskets, mirror gaskets one of which is NLA. Then the door sweeps which are NLA. Add to that any of the chrome trim which if you bought the whole set new is over $1,000.00 with a couple pieces NLA, antenna grommet, hood gaskets, license plate light kit since they disintegrate, sunroof gasket at $100.00, trunk gasket $75.00, taillight gaskets $150.00 if you need them, then inner taillight gaskets at $60.00, new roundels at $50.00, new 745i badge at $50.00, body side molding clips, any body side molding you need to replace God forbid it’s the bumper ends. Replace fog lights which are always busted $250.00, add to that replacing all the rusted nuts and bolts and man.........the parts list is enormous AND it gets costly in a sneaky hurry. I am probably close to 7k with the paint job because of all of the “other things” that most of us wouldn’t turn our back on while going that far into it. Thank God I enjoy it because money wise on an e23 it makes zero sense and that is just he paint related stuff. There’s till engine, electrical and the rest of the car; and this was a running working car to start with.

Do you have a thread on your 2002? I follow that board a lot. There is one of those in my future. What a blast to drive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by espoe; 06-16-2019 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    That was a great sermon for the masses. Thank you Brother Espoe.
    Good skills on your 02 aqquisition.
    I don't have a build thread per se. I have a post where I try to post bigger items. Those people on the FAQ are amazing with the work they do. My 02 is just a plain jane variety, and it was in pretty good shape. Had some nice mods to it to make it drivable. I'm just moving it up the ladder bit by bit.
    The page is here http://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/top...omment-1119605

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    What are you using to condition the leather? Color Plus, Leatherique, or Colourlock?
    Started with Lexol because I had a 1/2 gallon. Put a few coats then Colourplus till It ran out. Now Lexol till it runs out. Probably not the way to do it exactly but it is coming around. It's getting closer to black but I am still oiling it every day. I am going to be fine with it if it shows a little silvery fade. Right now looks a little greenish which is pretty normal from what I have seen of other restorations like this. Backs of the headrests were hard as rocks, softening up now. The rest was actually pretty nice in feel, the oiling is helping with the color. If it weren't for the 2 seam separations on the tops of the back seats it would be perfect really.

+VODUOz9Q7+n4TEPZT%HWw.jpgEc5MNJfjTXOR3J6Dr1Dzdw.jpgLEgLxTLMSLiiKUb2moHsBw.jpgajeUQolPT7G6RafS8l9A+A.jpg

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Takes a sick SOB to do this, Eddie...I am the same way!

I assure you, we are all in awe the work you are doing to this machine.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL

All I used on these was a lot of Leather Honey (after cleaning them), applied w/ a paint brush. I did not use any coloring products. The leather honey hydrating them darkened them up from what they used to look like and they have stayed this color. It also took them from petrified to soft and they have stayed that way. They are definitely still sort of green. Just what happens to these seats.
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 06-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Takes a sick SOB to do this, Eddie...I am the same way!

I assure you, we are all in awe the work you are doing to this machine.
    Definitely a sickness that's for sure. I think the thing that makes it harder and take longer is that in my younger days I always had someone I was working with. I was hoping my son would take an interest but no dice. I have one friend that's really a car guy but that sucker works all the time. Leaves me to do it by myself which is not as satisfying, and twice as hard. I don't get under them, or out from under them, like I used to. If fact if I get under there and don't have something I need, I look for other things to do while I'm down there to keep from coming back up.

I am in striking distance now though. I'm getting all the lights ready to go, trim cleaned up and painted, vinyl wrapping a few things, and sorting parts with all of the screws and attaching things together, while it's so hot out side. I'm setting up some lights and some fans to work mornings and evenings. So there is progress, just behind the scenes at the moment and on the stuff you see in these posts. I do have to get it at least drivable by August in case I have to move it during hurricane season. I have a storage unit I could get it into but a tow truck is not easy by the time you know you have to move it. A lot easier if I can just drive it over.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Was doing some reading this evening and if you want to look through an awesome build check out this one. Makes me feel like a Slacker! http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=145952

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Roy has the funding available to do an excellent restoration. If not mentioned, he sold a 2002 with S14 in it done up right for north of 100k. That is the quality of his work and budget.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    Roy has the funding available to do an excellent restoration. If not mentioned, he sold a 2002 with S14 in it done up right for north of 100k. That is the quality of his work and budget.
    You could clearly see the budget at play. He skips nothing that's for sure. HIs e28 sold for a nice amount as well, I'm thinking near 50K. Might be a little off there but it was gorgeous.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Little more prep. Removing the glue from the adhesion tape took a while. I looked into how to get it off of rubber but there was no clear consensus. What was said was no matter what, just light rubbing would roll it off and that’s exactly what happened. In fact just going across it over and over with a towel and my fingers what really did it.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    At the time of my last post, I was working on gathering pieces, screws, clips and the things needed to put the car back together and then organize them for a smooth installation. I have the car under a nice cover, but not in an air-conditioned garage so I was waiting for the heat to go away so I could get out there and work for more than 10 minutes.

Well wouldn't you know as soon as the weather turned perfect about 7weeks ago, I broke my leg and was unable to do anything; I feel like Devin in Arizona. Now that I've mostly healed it's time to get back to it and I am really looking forward to having this thing back on the road by spring. I'll also have a major parts sale to pare down the stock I have from collecting and stripping my parts car. In the mean time; Geaux Tigers!

My Cars
    85 745
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    I broke my leg and was unable to do anything; I feel like Devin in Arizona.
    I'm sorry to hear that.. being broken is awful. I hope you heel up stronger than before.

On a lighter note, looking at your car in black.... I love it.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DevInAz View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.. being broken is awful. I hope you heel up stronger than before.

On a lighter note, looking at your car in black.... I love it.
    Thanks Devin. You are so right about being broken. I recently turned 60 and I’m finding out I just down fall down and get right back up so easily. In fact, as part of my injury I sustained a small cut that due to swelling turned into a large wound about as big around as a coffee mug. They’re telling me it should heal by JULY!!

Anyway I really like the color. Azurite Black. In the sun it’s nearly blue. Can’t wait to get it back together and polish it out.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

My 745i build and update thread

First thing up is the cluster since it’s raining outside. I have 3 working units, one of which is a euro cluster. One of the other clusters had a battery-less board. None of the 3 had scratch free fronts.

Battery free board

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20191221/5a064d7234c2d1bd841aa55823e620e8.jpg[/IMG]IMG_1076.JPG

In the process of changing all the bulbs and upgrading the 3 larger ones from 3 to 5 watt and possibly going led with those 3 to keep the heat issue at bay. I’ll have to see how they look installed

Last edited by espoe; 12-21-2019 at 01:06 AM.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    First thing up is the cluster since it’s raining outside. I have 3 working units, one of which is a euro cluster. One of the other clusters had a battery-less board. None of the 3 had scratch free fronts.

Battery free board

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20191221/5a064d7234c2d1bd841aa55823e620e8.jpg[/IMG]IMG_1076.JPG

In the process of changing all the bulbs and upgrading the 3 larger ones from 3 to 5 watt and possibly going led with those 3 to keep the heat issue at bay. I’ll have to see how they look installed

It's been raining for three straight days here in Seattle so your cluster rebuild is inspiring me to get my cluster rebuild done since it appears it will never stop raining here.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

My 745i build and update thread

Well, had a little setback with my leg and finally got back to work on the car about 3 weeks ago. Doesn’t look like a whole lot of progress but a lot has gotten done. When I got the car back from the paint shop the door locks were disassembled with all of the parts in a box. Never having worked on them before it has been a slow roll getting those back to operational. Still have a ways to go.

When i get tired of looking at the locks I have continued to clean up the wiring. In the rear half of the car I got rid of a bunch a random wires from earlier stereo installs, cleaned up all the grounds, cleaned connections etc. Changed out the license plate light assemblies and reinstalled the wiring harnesses in the doors. Installing new wiring for upgraded stereo and reinstalling the long harness for the Becker Front/rear unit.

Reinstalled the body side moldings and bumper strips. The front strips kicked my butt. The old lips were still on the bumper and did not want to come out. They were in good shape so why not use them? Well after wrestling with them for 2 hours I finally got the strips on and they look good. The clips for the rear strips were already out so putting on new ones and popping the strips into place took minutes. Still have a few more moldings to go. But progress!

Last edited by espoe; 04-14-2020 at 01:00 AM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When I worked at h&b BMW Berkeley ca, Alan had imported m1"s, m6's, 745's, 323"s back before the government cracked down on the gray market cars. When I drove the 745 I thought this is exactly what the engine needed a turbo, compared to the u.s cars. Plus lotof the euro cars had the buffalo hide interiors and things like that

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    When I worked at h&b BMW Berkeley ca, Alan had imported m1"s, m6's, 745's, 323"s back before the government cracked down on the gray market cars. When I drove the 745 I thought this is exactly what the engine needed a turbo, compared to the u.s cars. Plus lot of the euro cars had the buffalo hide interiors and things like that
    You go back in the day just like me. I used to bring them in myself. I got an opportunity to buy and sell a lot of different cars back then. I owned a 80 733i 4 speed and an 85 735i auto, 126 Benz, 911, etc. But I never owned or even drove a 745i. When I would go to Germany it was tough to even see one. So I've always wanted one and that's how this all got started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12