Thread: FTP light tab repairs ?

My Cars
    91 850i, & 87 924S

FTP light tab repairs ?

My FTP screw tabs have broken off again. All the road construction around here is killing them. I used Q bond last time and had some success, but looking at them it must be a common occurrence. I've searched and have seen references about Polyvance to create new tabs and plumbers tape (which seems to be metal strip for hanging). The new FTP I bought a while back has also cracked a tab and as the prices of new seems to have doubled, I'm going to try repairing again. Someone here must have repaired the tabs and had it last long term? Can you tell us how you did it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    My Q-Bond repair lasted quite a while, but after a while the FTP plastic fails a bit further back and it just falls apart again. I've re-done it once more and then gave in and bought two new ones! The original repair was detailed here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/E31_FT...ug_Repairs.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    91 850i, & 87 924S
    That is what happened to my repair. The Q-bond held but the tabs broke off further along the brittle plastic. At $600 Canadian each I can't keep replacing them. I'm hoping for another option as the rest of the light is still good. I bought a new one about 2 years ago ( & before the price went way up) and one tab of that one has already been Q-bonded. I replaced that one because when the tabs broke it also broke the cylindrical retainers at the other end. Maybe I'll try a metal retainer sandwiching the plastic near where the beam adjusters are, but then I'll need another way to fasten the grills.

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    maint - Maybe reach out to Wuffer - he may have a good suggestion. I know he has fixed many of these FTP's in the past.

/Henry

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Hold the press! I just was contacted, and a new OUTSTANDING solution for broken tabs is almost done by an E31 owner, and should be ready soon! The repair is now in the road testing stages, and he hopes to have it ready for release in the Summer E31 NEWS newsletter.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    91 850i, & 87 924S
    Finally caught up on all my projects and had time to try this again. I guess the road testing didn't go as hoped so I came up with my own tabs. Made them from body sheet metal I had left around and they grip the plastic grill piece hard enough that I need a pliers to remove it. They seem to work but the proof will be in how they work on the road.
    Sorry pics are sideways, can't figure out how to change them.
    Last edited by maint; 03-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by maint View Post
    Finally caught up on all my projects and had time to try this again. I guess the road testing didn't go as hoped so I came up with my own tabs. Made them from body sheet metal I had left around and they grip the plastic grill piece hard enough that I need a pliers to remove it. They seem to work but the proof will be in how they work on the road.
    Out of all the available solutions, I think this one is the best, and should never break!
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci
    I made the same type of holder last year. So far so good. You should have a few made. I am sure many on this community would like a set.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by maint View Post
    those are actually quite attractive too. too bad you didn't make a bunch, to sell
    Also, did you make the tabs opening a bit wider than factory so the plastic clips from the slotted grill doesnt have as much pressure on the clips as they press over the FTP tabs?
    great work. I just used the perforated strapping that plumbers use to hold tubing to ceilings/walls...
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    91 850i, & 87 924S
    "did you make the tabs opening a bit wider than factory so the plastic clips from the slotted grill doesn't have as much pressure on the clips as they press over the FTP tabs?"

I bent the metal slightly up and slide the grill in sideways to avoid pushing/pulling too hard on the grill clips. I made a couple of versions and when making the opening for the tabs wider it went from 'too tight' to 'too loose' very quick.
    I attached a drawing of the ones I made but they were very easy to make. Used a vise, tin snip, drill and file. I see I didn't put in the hole sizes but measure them off your FTP. It was made from 20 or 22 gauge metal left over from a body repair.
    Last edited by maint; 03-20-2020 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Thanks kindly for the drawing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Aw man.... We hafta make'um ourselves. Ok.
    Great idea. Know it when I see it.
    Screenshot_20200422-104530_Chrome.jpg

Ok. Get out some sheet metal, some aviation sheers and a nibble-ing tool.
    Last edited by CD05001CIA; 04-22-2020 at 01:52 PM.