Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: HELP, e39 tweeters keep blowing

My Cars
    2001 525it.

HELP, e39 tweeters keep blowing

Hello, I upgraded to the bavsound stage 1 in 2014. Everything sounded great up until 2017.
    I ended up blowing my left rear tweeter, got a replacement, it blew again. I've replaced my amp, and my after market navigation (*****) I've went over all the wires and haven't seen anything wrong.

I'm now on my third tweeter. I've emailed bavsound and asked what else it could be and I'll got was "we don't see failures in those" and to turn off my EQ and keep my phone volume at 75%(I’ve always kept my eq off and always kept my volume at 75%)

I absolutely love bavsound speakers and would love to keep using them

Is there anything else that I'm overlooking?

Thank you, Nick

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Tweeters will fail when their voice coils overheat. For a voice coil to overheat like that, it means it's being over driven and it's usually 'distortion' which causes that. The brand you mention and is auto blanked out, uses generic grade electronics, and so more prone to failures/problems. I suspect, that some of it's electronics are failing and causing it to give out distorted signals (intermittently/periodically), which are then amplified and sent to the tweeter. It 'could' also be the amplifier you mention, but what amplifier is it and how is it connected to the xxxx unit ?

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 525it.
    Hello, Dennis.

I’m using the oem amp, and my head unit is hooked up via a cable that they supplied with a fuse block.(if that’s what you were asking)

Thank you,
    Nick

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update, I still currently suspect it's that low quality xxxx unit that is intermittently/periodically sending out a distorted signal when some of those internal components fail/don't work properly. It's possible also that the oem amplifier is also failing like this and outputs distortion causing the tweeter's voice coil to overheat. Only other thing is that the tweeters you've had have deteriorated in a relatively short space of time and that's been the cause of them failing - a bit of a stretch on this though.

I'd suggest that if you intend to stay with the xxxx brand head unit, then to run the BSW speakers off it directly ? the onboard amplifier is just that little bit more powerful in RMS watt's output than the oem amp.

Ultimately, I'd say get a much better head unit which has much higher quality and grade electronics and components and thus performance/reliability and is far less likely to have failures/issues etc.

Cheers, Dennis!