My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i

2013 X5M Stalled, won't crank, says Neutral but stuck in Park, trans error on dash??

Starter was starting to stink, wouldn't turn the engine over. New 95r AGM battery, Bosch starter, hooked up a booster and no difference. Will get it scanned next week but hoping someone could shed some light. It feels exactly like it's in Park, can rock the x5m just a little as if it was. I ended up tightening up the 5mm allen next to the trans to get it into Neutral for the tow truck. Even when manually in Neutral it won't crank just clicks.

So I just did a pull on the highway and got off the exit, slowed down for a right hand turn and right as I started to turn I noticed I had no steering, cranked on the wheel to not hit the curb and the engine wasn't running. Try to start and it just clicks as if the battery was bad but louder like the battery is healthy. It still coasted to a stop a bit, didn't make any funny noises like shoving it into park while rolling. Very strange, I'm out of ideas.

My Cars
    Engine locked up. Probably spun a rod bearing.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    That's what we feared the first time, but the shop got it loose with a breaker bar on the crank. Wouldn't there be some kind of rod knock? Thought maybe the AC compressor seized up. Changed the oil no metal, no noise. Also, why wouldn't I be able to get it into Neutral if it says it already is? I think it's something with the trans but I'll get a scan tomorrow, using an Autel Maxisys Elite. It stalled at no throttle just as I was entering a turn.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    So I got a code, 507B EGS Parking gear sensors implausible. From a bit of reading I found out that the bridge seal adapter above the valve body can cause this issue? I have no idea how the parking gear works on this setup. Tried clearing the codes, went away but would come back when I'd try to start. Just one solid click and the engine won't turn over. Released the 5mm allen neutral screw, no difference other than the truck won't roll, actually stays in park. I can replace the bridge seal, solenoids and four tube seals above the valve body myself, but anything else I don't have any experience with. Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Broken wires on the shifter assy maybe

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Just got off the phone with a trans guy the last couple shops I worked at used. Has rebuilt a few ZF's no issues. He said there's nothing in the transmission that can cause the issue I'm having. The transmission can't keep the engine from cranking over. Saying it has to be something wrong with the engine.

Not good, we didn't find any metal in the oil, no rod knock or funny noises etc. The engine shows no fault codes either.

My Cars
    That's what I was thinking. Something doesn't add up. Even if the transmission is in park, or locked in a gear, you'll always be able to turn the engine with either the starter or a breaker bar. Maybe it was locked up, and the guy was able to unlock it with enough force on the crank bolt? Maybe the damage has been done, and it's now a ticking time bomb. Or maybe it's some miracle that nothing is wrong with it at all.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    I have to check the oil filter for metal, will do it this weekend. Cousin just bought the car from a friend so it's an awkward situation now..

My Cars
    Rule #1: Don't buy cars from friends or family.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Haha well it had TONS of copper or bronze flakes. The oil filter was an OEM M part. But there's no way it could clip into the oil filter housing cap. The 6 pins on the cap were a larger diameter than the inner on the oil filter. If it's like some VW's and Audi's, when you remove the oil filter from the housing cap, sometimes part of the housing cap clips off with the filter and it gets tossed if not paying attention. I'm not familiar with these engines but maybe that's what happened? No low oil pressure lights came on or stored codes.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i
    Exactly what happened, there's supposed to be a small plastic piece on cap that filter clips into. Worldpac and IMC don't offer a genuine OEM filter with the M/// logo, had to have been dealer. That's why no oil pressure warning. Has been pumping debris throughout oil interval and finally towards end of interval the engine seized without warning.
    Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 06-05-2019 at 02:52 PM.