Thread: 2001 e46 m3 convertible manual 133k miles for 8k

My Cars
    2000 328ci

2001 e46 m3 convertible manual 133k miles for 8k

Sup guys

Been in the market for an m3 and I think i found a good candidate

2 owner black on black vert with 133k on the clock with manual transmission. It doesn't look to neglected, however it's been sitting for a few months/year due to the owner having an unrelated accident and being brain damaged (being sold by a family member). It has a few lights on the dash:

- Traction control
    - ABS
    - Brake
    - Low tire pressure
    - Airbag
    - Drop top

So it's a bit of a christmas tree situation hah but i think it's in decent condition otherwise. Drop top works, brakes squeal a little bit in the right front, but lot runs/drives/stops good. Checked the subframe, no obvious signs of cracking anywhere. It hasn't had the airbag recall performed, went to the dealer and they confirmed, told me to bring it in. Also inquired if the rod bearing was ever replaced on it, but the service rep said he didn't see anything and was kind of dismissive

Is there a place online where I could look up if the rod bearings were replaced? Or maybe someone on here could look it up, I would greatly appreciate it... VIN WBSBR93431EX21542. What are the chances they would still honor it if in fact it was never performed lol, seems improbable, but i've seen success stories from like 2013, so after the 10year warranty period... Granted it is 2019 now

I left a deposit, but getting cold feet now, would like to know for sure about the bearings. Let me know what you think, is this a good deal for 8k?

My Cars
    '05 ///M3
    Rod bearings "under warranty", not happening, lol.

Easy diy, if you are a diy kinda guy http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=455681

Also, they are a wear item and should be replaced around every 80k-120k miles.

You can also run oil analysis, and see what that returns. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=431107

Finally, make sure you get a ppi from indy who knows these cars.

"Cheap" these cars are not, so be prepared to spend 10k to get it into good running order.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 325iT, 2005 M3
    I avoid telling forum members the rod bearings are an "easy diy" due to someone posting a step by step. Most of the members do not even own a torque wrench, let alone stretch to yield, have experience tearing down an engine how to use plastigauge , etc. You can do more damage by installing them wrong then you would leaving them alone. Even if he has rebuilt an old small block ford, the tolerances are radically different.

To each their own though, many just throw parts in and cross their fingers.
    //alpinewhitem.com (Coming Soon)
    1988 AW M3 Coupe (5MT)
    1999 AW M3 Cab (5MT)
    2000 AW M5 (6MT)
    2001 AW M3 Touring (6MT)
    2008 AW M5 (6MT)
    2010 AW X5M (6AT)

My Cars
    '05 ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rycase View Post
    I avoid telling forum members the rod bearings are an "easy diy" due to someone posting a step by step. Most of the members do not even own a torque wrench, let alone stretch to yield, have experience tearing down an engine how to use plastigauge , etc. You can do more damage by installing them wrong then you would leaving them alone. Even if he has rebuilt an old small block ford, the tolerances are radically different.

To each their own though, many just throw parts in and cross their fingers.
    I don't avoid it, I encourage it. I'd rather someone did the project diy than going to a dealership and pay m tax. Also if he's done some work before and is a diy kinda guy, he has tools, plus that diy also lists all the tools you will need.

I also encourage people to do vanos diy (albeit maybe borrow timing tools instead of buying) and walk them through it. There is also a diy posted by Raj on his site (beisan).

Reading specs and tolerances engine to engine and manuf to manuf is obviously different.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk